Final Gravity Reading

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale_snail

Reaction score
okay so ive had my latest brew fermenting since last thursday and ive given it s few swirls to make sure the yeast is finished and im fairly confident it had. I took a reading yesterday and it was as close to 1.000 as could be so im thinking its finished but am gonna do another reading soon and will decide from there

any help.. or tips

cheers

Take a reading every day for 3 days. If the reading is stable, you are right to bottle. Many brewers leave the brew in the fermenter for a week after it has finished. This helps to make a cleaner beer.

1.000 is on the low side. Most brews finish above 1.005 and many bigger beers finish over 1.012.

The higher readings mean that the beer has more residual flavour.

Your lower reading of 1.000 means that the beer is thinner and drier. Did you use a dry enzyme pack? They often finish very dry.

1.000 I hope you haven't just made water :p

As P.O.L said, a constant readin over 3 days, and you are ready to go.

I have never had a beer finish below 1.008, and most are 1010 at the lowest.

Some of those ultra low carb American beers have gravities of less than 1.00, ie a negative value in degrees plato. Very dry.

Some of those ultra low carb American beers have gravities of less than 1.00, ie a negative value in degrees plato. Very dry.

Yeah, but most yeasts won't attenuate that far by themselves - they use enzymes to dry those beers out. I imagine ale_snail would have told us if he was using enzyme.

hey thanks for the replies

nah i didnt use an enzyme, i used safale s04 its seems to be a hungry lil bugger

Back