Final Count, 25hop Additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jayse said:
but trying to boil with low pressure three ring burners in the wind is useless.
Ttry building a ring around the burner with loose bricks to channel the heat to your Kettle (saves gas and gets a pretty good boil fast) I gotta boil in my veranda since I have no shed
Cheers Jethro

Yes i have a shield for the three ring without it in the wind is silly
No need now though as i have the insane burners direct from houston R&D:)

Jayse

Tonight I found the perfect accompaniment for the Demon Ale. Hungarian Goulash.
My wife cooked up a great batch of Hungarian Goulash and paired with 500ml of Demon Ale it was the perfect dinner.

Just had to mention it :lol:

Doc

Although mine is all gone i can still taste and smell it, i just have to think about it the senses come to life. :p
Come to think of it that must of been you pouring a glass before that i smelt over here in adelaide. :blink:

Jayse

Ok I know Jayse has progressed beyond these brews, but I'm a year or two behind Jayse in my brewing and I figure its a rite of passage, so I did the Demon!

1.075, 70 IBU, dropped the crystal a bit and upped the melanoidin a bit, only did 10 minute hop additions, and used pretty much 100% Amarillo front to back (like Doc my scales must be dodgy, I ran out of Amarillo and substituted chinook for the flame out additions).

And....its bloody lovely. Such a rich malty fruity flavour, theres no way you would pick this as 7.5% cos the alcohol is hidden behind everything else. Really tropical fruit flavours and aromas, a bit of lychee, a bit of passionfruit, backed by a solid malt flavour. Definitely worth a go for anybody thinking about it.

The test of this beer is if you can still smell the hops the next day, and can't wait to get home to pour one and smell that fantastic hoppy aroma.

You should give the HourGlass IPA a bash too GL. The one I have on tap at the moment is 8.7% and you wouldn't know it under the great hop nose.

I've also been following a thread by some guys in the US with another super hoppy brew that has no bittering hops, but many many flavour and aroma additions using a three hop blend. mmmmmmmmm

Beers,
Doc

Guest Lurker said:
Such a rich malty fruity flavour, theres no way you would pick this as 7.5% cos the alcohol is hidden behind everything else.
[post="55941"][/post]​

Yeap you don't pick it as overly bitter either, you really do have to load it with malt for it to work though or it will be a onesided affair which this beer certainly isn't. It is just as much about the malt as it is the hops.
I found the hops were very very smooth and by no way over the top because the malt backbone is so huge.

I have seen references on HBA that some brewers have trouble with getting there beers like this clear, i had no probs there, mine was as brite as could possibly be.

I am the same as you simon and go for the very least crystal malt possible but some american ones seem to be loaded with up to five different types which seems quite strange given the OG.

Anyway i won't be doing another for a while as iam too poor to be able to afford everything that goes into it right now. :(

The Rover.
jayse

Latest posts

Back