Final Count, 25hop Additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmmmmmm get together is next weekend, no?

might bottle my IPA tomorrow. it is bound to be boring, 23L of beer and only one hop addition, a mere 410g of Goldings, practically nothing!

If so it will be undercarbed and mebbe harsh from the 90g of whole goldings just shoved into the keg last Oct. i think it might be interesting though: it got mashed, by accident, at 74C insead of the planned 66C.

Just quietly, THIS WILL BE A RADICAL BEER!

Jovial Monk

yep next weekend jm is when it all begins.if your planning on going to jayses i wouldnt mind a trial drop or two.if not maybe at your shop ;)

410 g of goldings hey mmmmmm interesting. :rolleyes:

cheers
d

jayse said:
Cool from what i have been reading WLP051 must be closer.
No good to me though can't get much white labs here.

We can all call you a hop trickler as of tommorow.
Have fun.

Jayse
Quote/
Cool from what i have been reading WLP051 must be closer.
No good to me though can't get much white labs here.

We can all call you a hop trickler as of tommorow.
Have fun.

Jayse
/Unquote

Jayse, Jayse,Jayse,

Adelaide's best HBS has a wide range of White Labs yeasts available!
From July I will have 40 White Labs tubes available for whenever!

Jovial Monk

After todays Demon Ale brew I think I may be worthy of trying the Arrogant ******* clone from Home Brew Adventures.
Nothing like have many kegs full of high alcohol specialty beers to make them last longer :p

Doc

Here is a picture of the garden after emptying the boiler kettle.
Talk about hop pellet sludge. There was still a heap in the filter stockings too.

Doc

DemonAle_001.jpg

Doc.
Welcome to the hop trickler club.
It was also impossible to get a clear wort from my kettle with the amount of hops in it. I just ran it to the fermentor as is without trying to filter it.
It did'nt block up my CFC and that was all i was worried about happening.

Jovial monk, Jovial Monk, Jovial Monk,
Ok i'll be in for some come July.

Cheers Jayse

My wort was quite clear. Was very happy with it.
The hop sludge in the garden doesn't look like too much but it is in actual fact quite thick.
OG into the fermenter was 1.075.
The brew was at high krausen this morning. It is going to be a beauty.
I had my mate from Dominion Breweries doing the hop measuring and additions. Near the end he says, I need more Cascade. I'm like WHAT. There was more than enough there. He says I'm 10 grams short.
So this one could be 100 IBU :D

Mental note: I need more accurate measuring scales.

Doc

Just siphoned off a sample from the fermenter.
Has a great nose and a great deep golden colour.
Taste is awesome. It is like a really nice malty LCPA.
Will rack it probably mid week, then it will go into a keg as soon as one emptys.

Awesome brew Jayse.

Doc

For this brew the Americans :angry:

Doc

I can almost smell and taste it from here Doc.
I'd be suprised to see a commericial brewery make such a beer though but it would indeed be a honor.
I put the SSOS down on monday in the presence of the fine Adelaide brewing comunity.
That was another huge hop beer with 100g chinnook 100g fuggles and 100g northern brewer. I swapped the EKG from the original SSOS recipe for NB as i didn't have any more goldings.
I did have some goldings but they all went into randall which was another very fun part of the day.
As is i can't really remeber how the beer tasted coming out of randal as i was as drunk as could be but it was the demon ale that went through randal and also i randalized a dry stout.
the SSOS was proberly my worst brewing effort to date also due to the drunken state i was in.
Anyway Bigd will post some pics of us randlizing the demon ale on his return to the net.
Randal did indeed work well as far as pouring the beer through it went maybe someone who wasn't as intoxicated as i was will post what the beer tasted like.

Cheers Jayse

For those unable to attend or were too hungover from Sun night's efforts to attend.... You know who you are!!

Randall was a definite success (eventually). The first couple of glasses of Randallised Demon Ale tasted like plastic apparently. Thanks to Jayse and Big D for puting their hands up for guinea pig duties. It left a very nasty taste in peoples' mouthes that required much rinsing. Or was that the J....? Anyway - ever seen a dog eat peanut butter? You get the idea....

Once the factory coating had been burned away it did the job it was made for... but strangely the hop flavour wasn't as pronounced as expected. Mind you the Demon Ale didn't really need it.

The stout was a different story though. I was surprised how well Randall's extra hop hit really suited the stout. A fine drop indeed.

This is my version of the events as I remember them... :chug: :chug: :chug:

Steve

My brew of the Demon Ale has finally made it into a keg today. Am chilling it overnight and it will go on the gas tomorrow morning.
Took a 600ml sample in a PET bottle and am force carbing it now with the carbonation cap as I'm on the road tomorrow so will try it from my stayover tomorrow night. If I can get on dial-up I'll post a report.
It came in at 7.3%.

Beers,
Doc

aahhh thanks stevesa.
for some reason i still cant remember what it tasted like.one thing i do remember is the demon ale on its own is one wicked brew.well done jayse.
plastic taste hey.yuk cant remember haha.good to here randall got better with age.

on my return home the wife reckons shes never seen me so slurringly blabber mouthed. :blink:
reckon i had one great time.
hope you like hopped beer doc as the demon is one kick arse brew.

cheers
big d

Mmmm, the demon ale is still tasting good, still a few litres left, next time i'll do a double batch as this one, which i guess i'll now call the pilot batch, is unreal.

Sounds like yours will also be a killer Doc, i'll be able to smell when you open that first bottle. :p

I remeber the plastic taste 'now' from randal on the first glass but everything after a few glasses of demon ale throught it is all blurry. :blink:

Still don't have much of a plan for the next one,it will be very similar maybe some amber malt or more melanoidin or both.

Talking demon means i have to drink demon, thats why i didn't read this thread this morning :blink: :D
Cheers Jayse(of to pour a demon) :chug:

jayse said:
Sounds like yours will also be a killer Doc, i'll be able to smell when you open that first bottle. :p
hahahahaha, YES.
I had two 600ml PET bottles with me on the road last night.
One was my Irish Red and the other the Demon Ale.
When I pulled them out I couldn't remember which was which.
Opened one and pow, that one is the Demon.
Smells and drinks very well, with that nice warming feeling. I hadn't carb'd it enough so will look forward to trying it from the keg tomorrow night. After 600ml I had to get some food as I could feel the Demon ale taking effect :p

Great drop Jayse.

Beers,
Doc

Thanx doc, but i only made the recipe you brewed it. so like most of my recipes' ie, the SFPA i can only take so much credit as it is the brewers who should take the credit themselves.

Anyway if your like me as soon as you get home after a trip away you unlock the front door and go straight to the keg fridge and sit down with a grin from ear to ear. :D
Don't worry about greeting the missus just go straight for the demon ale. :p

Jayse

jayse said:
Don't worry about greeting the missus just go straight for the demon ale. :p
I'd like to but that maybe thawting my brewing plans this weekend :unsure:

Think I'll do the family thing, have dinner then pour a pint and sit down to the State of Origin. And I'll probably be asleep by half time :p

Doc

Well I couldn't resist. Hi to the family as I walked in and straight to the keg fridge tap.
Poured a small glass and consumed it while I caught up on family news.
Smells fantastic and is a great deep golden colour.
Great lacing on the glass, awesome aroma and a fantastic full bodied beer. Definitely not a session beer :p
Slept like a baby last night too :D

Doc

No its no session beer its proberly the biggest fullest flavoured most powerful beer i have made.
Speaking of iam off to grap and 500ml nonic full :p
seeya all in hell. :ph34r: :D

Jayse

Latest posts

Back