Filtering - The Real Cost?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet you did that all the time when you were a teenager B)

Hey I bet this is going to be my best recycled photo yet in the years to come

clearbright__Medium_.jpg

clearbright__Medium_.jpg

clearbright__Medium_.jpg

I merely meant your majesty, that you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark.

It seems the OP has their sights on quicker drinking beer, which a filter certainly will provide. For the style of APA or IPA where haze from dry hopping might be a problem, and extra nasty tasting hop-bound-trub a probable senario (if youre trying to drink it quick) a filter will be your friend. Also, for someone without loads of refridgeration space a filter is great, absolutley, and almost an answer to cold conditioning. Though, a properly excecuted cold conditioning period can do wonders for beer, of all kinds not just lager. I think filtering does strip something from the beer, im just going to call it character.

It seems the OP has their sights on quicker drinking beer, which a filter certainly will provide. For the style of APA or IPA where haze from dry hopping might be a problem, and extra nasty tasting hop-bound-trub a probable senario (if youre trying to drink it quick) a filter will be your friend. Also, for someone without loads of refridgeration space a filter is great, absolutley, and almost an answer to cold conditioning. Though, a properly excecuted cold conditioning period can do wonders for beer, of all kinds not just lager. I think filtering does strip something from the beer, im just going to call it character.

^Brilliant.

As far as helping the op, I assume the point of the thread - said like a boss!

:icon_cheers:

Yes I concede that the OP was more about getting a better yield of beer out of the keg, rather than a peeing contest between CC and filtering. However CC done in such a way that the beer going into the keg is clear to start off with can no doubt yield as much clear beer into the glass as filtering would do.

I've found that gravity filtering from primary can be a monkey's game. It's got to be pretty damn clear (secondary for a day or two at ferment temps at least) to not block a 1 mic filter cartridge.

If I want FAST I rack to secondary for a day (makes a big difference to remove the unfloccy primary trub from the filtering equation) and then gravity filter (12mm lines) to keg.

This gives BRIGHT beer at 7C - my Ale serving temp. I use Koppafloc in the kettle.

Popped out for a three of Henninger,
To compare it with my Dort
This I made with mine own hands
From hops and yeast and wort
And finally, I do admit
I fear I was not right
That clear is yet pathetic:
A mere shadow of the bright,
Mayhap, forthwith, I shall believe
in Quantum Physics one and all,
and filter! Now! Forevermore!
I'll avoid this turbid shyte !!

Speedie would shyte all over you Manticle

Fleeing from filtering

Storks in the clear sunset

Bright settling

I've found that gravity filtering from primary can be a monkey's game. It's got to be pretty damn clear (secondary for a day or two at ferment temps at least) to not block a 1 mic filter cartridge.

If I want FAST I rack to secondary for a day (makes a big difference to remove the unfloccy primary trub from the filtering equation) and then gravity filter (12mm lines) to keg.

This gives BRIGHT beer at 7C - my Ale serving temp. I use Koppafloc in the kettle.

HaHa, never thought to change the name of the poster. Onya manticle, cant wait for TND to post again.

Sorry Nick had to use an example

Cheers

Speedie would shyte all over you Manticle

Fleeing from filtering

Storks in the clear sunset

Bright settling

Sonnet VS Haiku.

That's a VS I'm interested in watching.

Especially if Sonnet is played by Jet Li and Haiku by Bruce Lee (or vice versa)

If I wanted to read another debate between the merits of cold conditioning vs filtering, I'd shoot myself in the face.

Woops...... wha.....????
I gotta go with Manticle and say filtering is "removing" beer flavor. Waiting for crap to settle and flavor to mellow are the way to go.

I make wine also, yes filter some delicate wines, but the clarity of beer is way over rated.

Taste, not time!

:icon_cheers:

Edit: Quicker to taste all nice like... I think thats what the op meant, thats what happens for me...

I gotta go with Manticle and say filtering is "removing" beer flavor.

My point is not one or the other. My point is the discussion has been had. Beer clear is not clear but this beer is more clear, and on and so forth and my mac is better than your holden made in a BIAB bag without polyclar.

Dreary

I think missing from this whole thread is......

google it

So what is CC'ing and other additives doing?

Hmm, stripping/dropping shit from the beer to make it clearer and taste better? Sorry, am I wrong?

So, rather to let all that take its course, you can force its hand and filter it out in a pass -is this not the same?

Not being smart, asking.

what they said in the beginning of the thread was right. Not everything drops in ccing. somethings just don't. Filtration will definitely strip them out. Its quite a difference.

This is what I inferred when I said I tasted a commercial brewer's experimental filtered' kellerbier. It tasted all wrong. Bland.

I don't intend to know about the chemistry of everything. so it suffices for me that removing yeast gently (ccing & lagering) are way better than forcing it out in a filter.

Back