Filtering - The Real Cost?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to clarify (ha!), my main reason for going down the filtering path is to have great tasting beer more quickly. I have no room for multiple vessels to be cold conditioning at once etc. I think the beers posted that are not filtered are more than clear enough for my taste.

Aesthetically, I don't really care - as long as I cant taste the yeast or trub, it makes no difference to me. There is something kind of cool about a big ballsy IPA that is similar to carlton draught in appearance though...

I am certain that with my process as it is, based on reading what other people have said, I will end up with more pints of highly enjoyable beer than I would without filtering. It suits me to be able to brew a few batches reasonably quickly when time permits, as I may not have time to brew for a while after that.

When I don't filter I get 'clear beer' into the keg. However when the keg runs out, the bottom is covered in murky yeasty crap. When I filter this doesn't happen. So there obviously is a significant amount of crap that gets into a keg even when you think it doesn't. Unless you gelatine or whatever I guess.

I personally don't mind murkiness, or the flavour of yeast or even trub. Not enough to tip the beer out anyway. The main reason I filter is I just like the idea of all of the beer in the keg being the same until it's empty. And I can move the kegs without them clouding up again and all that. It just seems neater to be able to leave that crap upstream of the keg.

Makes cleaning the kegs a lot easier too...

If it's possible to get clearer beer than the examples I posted then maybe I need my eyes checked. Maybe there's another one or two percent to be gained but I can't see myself paying a hundred dollars for the privilege, I can get a few slabs of Oettinger for that, if I want to savour totally crystal beer. Also as pointed out, filtered beer can still suffer from chill haze, you only have to visit a few brew pubs who serve at -1 to see that every day.

TBs clear beer polyclar and 1 micron filter

post-2541-1308617945_thumb.jpg

post-2541-1308617934_thumb.jpg

I guess if it having the turbidity levels of distilled water equates to enjoyment of the beer for some folk, fair enough. Since I've never split a batch and filtered half, I cant say personally if it improves the finished product or strips flavors. Obviously depends on the style. I actually doubt my jaded palate could tell the difference, though I cant say I'm much of a fan any of the megaswill's that boast to be 'cold or triple filtered', they certainly seem to be missing something - though they do seem to retain that lovely POR bitterness..

In any case, if a guest rejected my pils on the ground's of it not being 'exactly clear', well - I might politely ask them to get the hell off my property.
Just saying.

Dave, as I said, it doesn't matter if it doesn't worry you.

Maybe I should have been a bit more clear, but what I actually meant was that your beer looks pretty yeast free to me, similar to what you would get with a filter.
The 'not exactly clear' part refers to what looks like chill haze to me, that's why I mentioned polyclar. You won't be able to remove chill haze with filtering only.

As mentioned, I used to get pretty clear beer when I used to bottle, using gelatin, polyclar and time only.
I've also seen plenty of Bribie's beers and they look pretty alright to me.

But clear beer without filtering takes time, filtering speeds up the process and maybe adds that little bit of extra sparkle.
And, same as the OP, I just don't like the taste of yeast in my beers, so I'm very happy that there is a way to filter it out to for me undetectable levels.

Dave, as I said, it doesn't matter if it doesn't worry you.

Maybe I should have been a bit more clear, but what I actually meant was that your beer looks pretty yeast free to me, similar to what you would get with a filter.
The 'not exactly clear' part refers to what looks like chill haze to me, that's why I mentioned polyclar. You won't be able to remove chill haze with filtering only.

As mentioned, I used to get pretty clear beer when I used to bottle, using gelatin, polyclar and time only.
I've also seen plenty of Bribie's beers and they look pretty alright to me.

But clear beer without filtering takes time, filtering speeds up the process and maybe adds that little bit of extra sparkle.
And, same as the OP, I just don't like the taste of yeast in my beers, so I'm very happy that there is a way to filter it out to for me undetectable levels.

Mate, if like the OP, cold conditioning was not an option, you bet I'd be filtering.
I hate yeasty tasting beers - OK, some wheat's aside - but I shit you not when I say I'd rather a VB than Cooper's (sparkling or pale) ale.

If it's possible to get clearer beer than the examples I posted then maybe I need my eyes checked. Maybe there's another one or two percent to be gained but I can't see myself paying a hundred dollars for the privilege, I can get a few slabs of Oettinger for that, if I want to savour totally crystal beer. Also as pointed out, filtered beer can still suffer from chill haze, you only have to visit a few brew pubs who serve at -1 to see that every day

There you go !

TBs clear beer polyclar and 1 micron filter

post-2541-1308617945_thumb.jpg

post-2541-1308617934_thumb.jpg

I reckon that's a really clear beer but it's not fair comparing it to a beer that's cold and carbonated.

I generally pop my beers into a stubbie cooler, so clarity is terrible!

i filter, i love it, i do it to speed up conditioning, fv to glass in 2 weeks if needed but i usually leave carbed for a week, have compared both methods with longer conditioning and filtering wins. keg to keg filtering is faster and easier and just soak filter in nappy san o/nite and it comes out clean as. you lose about half a glass of beer when filtering so it is not an issue for me. as for actual cost the filter is good for 30+ brews if looked after and costs $18 from my beer shop.
co2 is the biggest expense but worth every penny.
I
I totally agree with this comment.i hav been using the same filter for three years and it's starting to slow I might buy a new one soon not bad run.I would love too know how many lts it's done.

I'm quite happy with the clarity of my beer that spends two weeks racked with some finings. I usually end up with next to nothing in the bottom of the kegs when finished...

It would be interesting to do a comparison with the same brew but for me at the moment I'm not too keen on any extra work.

I love a good quality beer and appreciate the work that goes into some, but I usually prefer to sit back and enjoy the flavour and focus more on the dirty magazine in front of me than the clarity of the drink that is bluring my vision anyhow. :icon_drunk:

Filtering takes more time uses more C02, and I do it for every brew.

The previous photos showing clear unfiltered beer look good but not great, filtered beer is beautifully bright. I don't believe filtering strips any flavour from your brews either and I have done a side by side comparison.
It's all about presentation and if your happy with your brews as they are well and good, I like my beers to look and taste as good as I can possibly make them.

Like everything home brew it just a matter of choice.

Batz

Agree with Batz. Other than Argons photo the other beers are clear, not bright.

There is a difference, and yes bribie, it's only slight but it is real. Very few beers at the nationals that i judged were bright, most were clear. I give full marks for appearance for a clear beer. Hazy (chill or yeast) beer loses points fast.

I sold my filter setup recently as i spend more time conditioning my beer and am happy with the clarity i get. Clear but not bright. I only ever used it for lagers and since i brew them so infrequently i hardly used it.

Yeast/polyphenols/proteins etc have a flavour and textural qualities so i use a range of finings agents to remove as much of these as i can.

I reckon that's a really clear beer but it's not fair comparing it to a beer that's cold and carbonated.

Maybe they drink it warm and flat? And from a wine glass.

Actually, maybe that's a chardonay and their beer looks like swampwater...

Yes, I popped out for a three of Henninger to compare it with my Dort and finally I do admit that clear is a pathetic shadow of bright and perhaps I should consider making the unmistakeable quantum leap to filtering to avoid drinking this turbid shyte :icon_cheers:

clearbright__Medium_.jpg

If I wanted to drink something as clear as water, I'd be drinking water....

If I wanted to read another debate between the merits of cold conditioning vs filtering, I'd shoot myself in the face.

Woops...... wha.....????

Back