Filtering And Polyclar For Stout/porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renzo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I read somewhere here but can't remember where or find it again something about filtering stouts. Does anyone filter stout and if so does it produce a noticable result seeing as though a stout isn't clear anyhow.

Hi Guys,
I read somewhere here but can't remember where or find it again something about filtering stouts. Does anyone filter stout and if so does it produce a noticable result seeing as though a stout isn't clear anyhow.

Do you notice a flavour difference after you filter a pale beer? If not, then dont filter your stout. I filter my stout because it tastes better, not because of the visual appearance, although it is an added benifit. BTW, filtering brown/black beer does make a visual difference. Reserve some from the fermenter and filter your stout, there will be a difference (unless its already diamond bright out of the fermenter which is unlikly.

Sure, I could let it naturally floc out but i prefer the ability to rotate beers in my keg frige as i see fit. By leaving them on the yeast in the keg, i just end up rousing it anyway. So i make a job of filtering all of my beers. It's just apart of my process.

I don't notice chill haze having any taste effect so polyclar is probably down to cosmetics (although supposedly chill haze proeins can affect long term stability so if you are ageing then maybe yes.)

I do notice a taste difference between beers that are cloudy due to yeast and beers that are clear due to yeast. I n some instances cloudy yeast has a positive effect, in others a negative one.

I don't filter but most beers I endeavour to make as unyeastcloudy as possible, stouts included. It's a bonus to be able to look into black murk and actually have some transclucency showing off the reds and browns.

Best way is to make one stout with and one without and see if either tastes better.

In a stout or porter, holding the beer up to the light and getting sparkling ruby highlights is a beautiful thing.

I filter ever beer but those that are supposed to have yeast haze.

Thanks fellas. I crash chill and ferment in an ss conical and drop yeast etc but have never brewed a stout/porter and was wondering about the benefits. Never been a big stout drinker as well and don't really know much about them. Thx for the answers. I brewed Jamils Choc hazlenut porter yesterday and it's bubbling away nicely now in my temp controled fridge. Can't wait to try it. Planning on leaving it in there for 15 days then crash/polyclar and fliter it for a comp in sept.

Latest posts

Back