Filtering after no chilling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattox

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just chasing a general opinion or idea on this. I've recently done a Belgian dark strong, and have recently had issues with aceto infections if I chill. So, I do BIAB and no chill straight into the fermenter and straight into my ferm fridge until pitch temps.

Anyway, my Belgian dark strong has just finished, and I want to bottle carb it. But there's basically trub covering the entire tap. Now I actually have got a filter setup for kegging as is, so was wondering if I filtered it into my bottling vessel, then repitched say, some US05 when I bulk primed, would that affect the overall beer? Ideally I want to keep all the esters/phenolics that the Trappist High Gravity throws off, and not lose much flavour. Opinions? Other option is just getting another smack pack of the same yeast and pitching it into the bottling vessel and bulk priming/bottling from there. Thoughts?

fattox said:
Hey guys,

Just chasing a general opinion or idea on this. I've recently done a Belgian dark strong, and have recently had issues with aceto infections if I chill. So, I do BIAB and no chill straight into the fermenter and straight into my ferm fridge until pitch temps.

Anyway, my Belgian dark strong has just finished, and I want to bottle carb it. But there's basically trub covering the entire tap. Now I actually have got a filter setup for kegging as is, so was wondering if I filtered it into my bottling vessel, then repitched say, some US05 when I bulk primed, would that affect the overall beer? Ideally I want to keep all the esters/phenolics that the Trappist High Gravity throws off, and not lose much flavour. Opinions? Other option is just getting another smack pack of the same yeast and pitching it into the bottling vessel and bulk priming/bottling from there. Thoughts?
IMHO you'd be better off just bottling as you would normally and then give it a long bottle condition. The trub will settle out if you give it time, then you can just pour off the sediment when you serve it. Belgian strong's aren't suppose to be crystal clear anyway.

If you bulk prime, then just drain your FV slowly and gently and you will leave most of the trub behind. If you put it up high tonight then you'll have a good 12-18 hours for it to settle before you drain it.

JD

I personally wouldn't be repitching any yeast at the bottling stage.. Think that would be more likely to give infection than reduce it. I would let the ferm rest over night and hose syphon (manual or other, wouldnt matter) into the botttling bucket, bulk or individual prime and store.

I might do what I usually do - hop sock over the tap and into another fermenter. It catches enough gunk anyway to be of use and it'll be letting enough through

Latest posts

Back