Filtered Beer, Spot The "before" And "after" Shots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BjornJ

Reaction score
filtered my rice lager yesterday and thought I'd share a picture of the "before" and "after".

I usually bottle clear beer, but this rice lager was horribly unclear, like pineapple juice or something.

After racking to cube I lagered it for just over a month.
Cold enough that after filtering there was a big piece of ice in the cube.
Still horribly unclear..

Time to dig out the cheap ebay filter for a second go.
This time it only leaked a couple of drops while starting up, after that it held up nicely.

After filtering I poured the last few drops into a glass and poured what was left in the filter into another.

Guess which is the "Before" and which is the "After" shots..

filtered_rice_lager.jpg

thanks
Bjorn

I wonder why the unfiltered one is so cloudy? I dont filter, but if i had a brew as cloudy as that i probably would...

just a note on the cloudiness of this beer;

-water additions like I normally do which usually helps with getting clear beer
-yeast was S-189 at 10 degrees for a couple of weeks before racking and lagering
-20% of grist was rice, flaked rice so should be no need for cereal mash, rest pilsner malt.
-mash was 5 min at 55, 86 min at 65 and ramp to 76 degrees while stirring and grain bag out

The only thing I can think of is that I could have starch haze from the flaked rice?
No idea..
Anyway, whatever it was the beer came out bright after filtering so guess I'll use it more going forward.

And great fun having yet another step in the process, hehe.
I must really like washing stuff ;) .

Bjorn

Nice, i have been thinking about getting a filter as a few of my beers have been cloudy while others crystal clear, cant figure it out for the life of me

I find any beer I use rice in is a clear as anything out of the fermented. Personally I'd be looking at another source for the clarity issue.

Cheers

no idea what made this one so unclear, usually they are pretty clear.

here's a pic of the unfiltered Galaxy IPA I had while brewing on the balcony the other day,
just to prove my beers aren't usually this cloudy ;)

not sure how it easy it is to see in the picture, but I could easily see the pilsner urquell logo on the glass through the beer, as well as the trees in the background.

gipa__1_.jpg

What was the difference in taste between the filtered and unfiltered.
The filtered one looks almost like a wine colour.
Cheers Stu

Hi Stu,
I drank several sips of both glasses trying to taste just that.
To me it tasted the same, but then again I;m probably not much of a beer judge.

The beer was still fridge cold.
Both beers tasted fresh, light in colour and flavour.
The filtered beer was scarily light in colour, certainly looked more like a white wine than beer.
Not much malt flavour at all, really.
Northern Brewer @40 min and 20 gr of Saaz (in 25 litres) at 5 min was the hopping, for a total of 24 IBU.
Tasted like it was going to be a fresh, easy drinking if bland lager.

Will be exciting to see how they turn out.
I still have one PET bottle in the cupboard from when racking to the cube, this is unfiltered.
So will wait until the filtered ones are carbed up and compare a filtered one with the unfiltered one I have left.

Was fun seeing how much the difference actually was after filtering.

thanks
Bjorn

Latest posts

Back