Filter Cartridges - What's your mileage like?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacknohe

Reaction score
Hi All

I've had the Beer Filter Kit MK II purchased from Craftbrewer for a couple of years now. I've filtered over 60 beers through it and its still going strong. I clean it with PBW and it scrubs up nicely.

I'm wondering how much use out of your filter cartridge you've been able to achieve before purchasing a replacement.

I think I got 6 brews out of my last cartridge before it fell apart. Not happy.
Replacement looks better, but is still showing signs of the rubber falling apart after 4 brews. I've heard stories about people getting 200 plus out of them, so dunno what I'm doing wrong.

From iBrew. Craftbrewer were out at the time. The replacement came from CB. Identical in every way down to the serial number printed on the cartridge. The original fell apart where the tube inside touches the rubber caps. Should have hit them up for a replacement.
Only ever got soaked in hot PBW and rinsed for cleaning, then soaked in starsan before use.

I've just ordered one of these from CB so I'd be interested in any comments on the 'recommended' way to clean / store to get maximum life from them.

Cheers
David

I got one of these last time but found they were hopeless, they are shorter than the CB ones so they don't seem to seal\filter at all.
Was hoping they might be easier to clean without the cage around them.....
They seem to be shorter than the CB ones so perhaps why they don't seal, also less pleats so if you tighten them in too much the pleats seem to fold up a little.

My cleaning regime (similar to others):

(Before first use, remove the plastic housing of the cartridge)
  • Back flush the housing with the filter in it with hot water until it almost runs clear (this involves connecting the tap to the 'Out' hose)
  • If the filter is still quite dirty, take it out and run it under the tap with warm water. I use my finger to loosen any big stubborn clumps.
  • Then soak with PBW and hot water inside the housing over night. (some use Nappisan)
  • Rinse and soak again with hot water the next day.
  • Give it a few shakes to get excess water out and store to dry.
Working great for me. Of course, it pays to cold condition your beer prior to reduce clogging the filter during filtration. I'ev had a few rushed beers and had to clean the filter half way through... :angry:

But wouldn't go back to unfiltered beers (except for Hefes). Love the results!!!

OzPaleAle said:
I got one of these last time but found they were hopeless, they are shorter than the CB ones so they don't seem to seal\filter at all.
Was hoping they might be easier to clean without the cage around them.....
They seem to be shorter than the CB ones so perhaps why they don't seal, also less pleats so if you tighten them in too much the pleats seem to fold up a little.
Funny, both the filter I got with the ibrew set up and the one later obtained from CB seem slightly too long for the housing, the o-ring on the housing won't seal unless you put a lot of force through the filter. The first one failed right where the wedge ring on the housing contacts the end cap on the filter cartridge causing the platic tube to separate.

jacknohe said:
My cleaning regime (similar to others):

(Before first use, remove the plastic housing of the cartridge)
  • Back flush the housing with the filter in it with hot water until it almost runs clear (this involves connecting the tap to the 'Out' hose)

But wouldn't go back to unfiltered beers (except for Hefes). Love the results!!!
I used to do this with mine, but felt that the hot water contributed to the failure somehow. See above reply about filter length. My water is unhuly hot too, comes out of the tap at 77 degrees! Haven't been doing it on the new one and it seems to be lasting much better. I do miss the way it made the laundry smell though!

Been pretty happy with the results too. Can't complain there!

I run the paper filters from Beerbelly etal, and I find my filter housing eats them.. to seal the buggers I have to wrench the housing on so tight it disforms the filter, sometimes they last 6 months, sometimes I forget to soak properly and they last 1 brew!

Latest posts

Back