Filling a Corny Keg via the Outlet post?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone filled there kegs through the beer outlet?

Im thinking I can fill the cleaned keg with CO2, purge that and attach the fill hose with a fitted Black Beer Diconnect, turn on the FV outlet

Im asking this as I would like to fill the keg without introducing any air to the final beer.

Dan

I do this.

Tips for new players:

- Remember to purge the CO2 from the keg before opening the FV outlet. It can get messy.
- Remember to open the bleed valve on the corny after opening the FV outlet. Things move pretty slowly if you don't.

Apart fom these traps, it makes things very easy.

Thanks Kaiser.

Does this mean you can fill right to the brim or do you need to leave some headspace for carbonating?

Still need to leave some headspace for carbonation. Also, the gas tube extends down to around where the weld is, and I like to keep this clear of the beer (even though I have a non-return valve installed) so beer can never get pushed into the reg. So I fill to the weld line, which I believe is 19L?

Do you honestly believe oxidization such an issue?
I thought about purging the headspace with a squirt of CO2 next time I bottle some hoppier beer and storing them super cold to make the fun last a bit longer.
Then I thought I was being maby a little pedantic.

Not so much for oxidation (although yes, it does reduce this) but the transfer is easier (no splashing) and is a closed system. I'm more concerned with contamination or infection.

Hi Kaizer

Wwhats your proven process for cleaning and sanitising your beer disconnect and hose that connects to your fermenter.

I sanitise the hose with starsan or iodophor (it's easy enough to pump through the hose if you have some in the keg and you put a shot of CO2 in the keg). I also use alcohol wipes on the QD, FV tap and hose ends before connecting everything up.

cheers mate, Ive always used a silicon hose and being paranoid have always boiled it prior to transferring

I purge co2 through the out post first and vent the co2 out the top. I then leave some co2 in the keg and connect my fitting to the keg so some co2 purges through the line that will be filling the keg. Then fill, works really well and I recommend this method.

oh I use star san before hand for sanitation.

I used to fill via the beer QD when I was filtering, so under pressure but I really cannot see any advantage if filling with gravity.... in fact, sure it will slow the fill rate yeah?

Anyway, 2.4c [USD]

Yep, I do it every time. In fact I just finished a transfer 10 minutes ago. I also put most of my beers into a bright tank (keg with the dip tube cut short), so it's a bit more insurance against additional oxidation from multiple transfers.

+1 Kaiser Soze's new player tips. Always step through what's going to happen before you open a tap/valve or push a disconnect on. Otherwise you'll eventually push something the wrong way and end up with your sediment disturbed, or beer on the floor or in your reg (also +1 for non-return valves!).

In terms of cleaning, I soak my hoses & disconnects soak in a small bucket of fresh starsan before transferring and then attach them while they're still wet. I also push CO2 through the transfer hose after purging the keg to purge the line and clear excess starsan out.

It's a little extra effort, and some say overkill, but in combination with a CPBF, I've stored bottles from kegs using this method for years without significant degradation (obviously some styles store better than others).

Back