Fightn Largarghhhh

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d3vour3r

Reaction score
just thought I'd share my latest brew. Idea was to make a high alc lager.

ingredients:
Morgans blue mountain lager
1kg brew blend (500g DME, 250g dex, 250g corn syrup powder)
1kg dex (so 1.25kg total)
tettnager @15min
3 packets 12g craftbrewer swiss lager
fermentation temp 11 deg

put it down last saturday (5 feb). pitch temp was 28 deg which is a little high but it was in my brew fridge sowas in a 11 deg environment.

atm theres a thick krausen on the top from the large amount of yeast i put in. OG was 1051, hoping to get below 1010 for a 6%+ beer.

let me know what you think...

Looks quite nice I think you are ready to move onto steeping speciality malts some Caramunich or light crystal will make a nice improvement to your brews. Only need a maximum of 300g for a standard size brew.
I try to add some steeping grains to all my K&B it does make a difference.

Check out these grains the world is your Oyster. Link to grain types

yeh definetly want to start with experimenting with grains now. so the process is you steep them for a period of time then strain into wort?
Looks quite nice I think you are ready to move onto steeping speciality malts some Caramunich or light crystal will make a nice improvement to your brews. Only need a maximum of 300g for a standard size brew.
I try to add some steeping grains to all my K&B it does make a difference.

Check out these grains the world is your Oyster. Link to grain types

Don't forget to boil your steeped liquor after you have strained off the spent grains.

Good time to do your hop boils too. Do a search for steeping grains and you will see how easy it is.

I tend to use 2L of 70C water for 250g grain and leave for approx 30 mins then about 1 litre of water to rinse the grain bag to get the last bit of goodness out.

You wont look back after adding grains. Made the differance between me giving it up! Then learn your hops and go full extract you'll love it even more.

hey all,

so i was hoping to bottle the beer saturday evening, but the SG is at 1020. Ive been fermenting at 12 deg but ive now put it upto 18 deg to hopefully help the fermentation and get the wort down to 1010-1005 ish. what are my cahnces of this happening by saturday? fyi the OG was 1051.

Back