Fig Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flattop

Reaction score
Bad fig season this year, the tree is full but the flavor is less strong and sweet. Most of the fruit is starting to fall to the ground.
I was thinking about brewing a fig beer, anyone tried it? Not sure if it would be worth the effort, i would have to use my brew bag to prevent the little seeds getting through.

i havent tried it but reckon it would be a good idea with something like a belgian strong dark or soething similar

I like the Belgian idea.

Could you make up a batch of fig syrup (just figs, sugar and water), strain it and then add that to the brew kettle?
Keep track of how much sugar you put in so you can account for its gravity.

Good Luck,

Michael

I like the Belgian idea.

Could you make up a batch of fig syrup (just figs, sugar and water)
Good Luck,

Michael

The issue with this is you are adding sugar to fructose which is also sugar thats fermentable. You would probably end up with something like a jam whcih will add fusel alchohol's and bad phenolicsis if used at high %'s

You might be best to cut them all up, topoff with water and slowly stew them until they are mush, i know you will be causing pectin haze but atlesat they will be free of contaminants if you are using them just in secondary.

If you have a refractometer + hydrometer, you can work out the total OG after fermentation too. ;)

Cheers!

Funny, reading the first couple of posts, I was thinking that one of teh best thigns you could do, would be to make a nice batch of jam, and brew with that as your addition.

I think a fig wheat might be nice too

I'd go with the fig syrup...equal parts sugar and water...chuck some figs in and bobs your uncle.

Well first act will be to get them off the tree and freeze them to break down the cells. I stood under the tree and ate about 10 today but i think only 3-4 were nice...
I think the drought stopped the fruit from maturing well.
If i get time tomorrow i will pick the fruit and decide after.
Fig wheat appeals to me

Check out what folks have done in the fig wine department. Fresh figs can tend to have a bit of a green note that seems to dissipate with drying. Could depend whether you use skins or not.

Back