Fg To High?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinson_d

Reaction score
My brew has stoped at 1022 hasnt changed for 3 days. Is this to high to bottle? what can i do to get the reading down?
Im brewing a cascade porter kit with coopers enhancer # 1 (500g) SG started at 1044 its been in the drum for 8 days at about 20˚c
Ive only done a few home brew kits but all have got below 1010 and tasted ok. Dont know why this is different. Help!

It has probably stalled. Check out this guide linked below, it gives a few options on what you can do to help it finish such as rousing the yeast and fast fermenting a small sample to give you an idea of what gravity it should finish at.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showarticle=130

Don't panic, just have a bit of patience and it will turn out all good.

Having a similar problem Brewinhobo. Wondering if the Coopers BE #1 is the culprit.
I have a toucan (coopers larger and coopers stout + box of BE #1 and 2 x coopers kit yeast packets) that seems to have finished at 1.023. OG was 1.058. Yeast was added @ 19.2c, and falling. Large (4-6") krausen had formed by next day. Hydrometer checked. 1.000 in tap water @ 20c...
I did the "fast ferment" test sample, and that also stopped @ 1.023 after 3-4 days of warmth (on the bench close to wood heater - going 24/7) and aeration (Frequent stubbie shaking). I'd say it fermented at temps not less than 20-22c, and up to high 20's.
The main batch was in a temperature controlled 'fridge and fermented @ 18c, +/- 0.5c.
I have given the FV a gentle swirl and increased to 19c yesterday. Tomorrow will go to 20c, and keep adding 1c / day up to 22c.
Is it safe to assume that, after all this, if it is still @ 1.023 by next Friday (2 weeks total) it is finished?
I have 1/2 a pack of US-05 left over from my 1/2 size stovetop BIAB. Should I chuck that at it?
I don't want bottle bombs, but I don't want it taking up 'fridge space while doing nothing forever either.
Oh, and taste test is good, really doesn't taste like much (unfermented) sugars in there.

Actually, I might just try a smidgen of the US-05 in my test sample and see what happens.

More likely to be the shitty yeast they put in those cascade cans.

Real sluggish from my experience.

Just give it a couple more weeks.

And the shitty yeast they put in with the coopers cans?
I added a smidgen of (fresh - opened 2 days earlier and fermenting like mad) US-05 to my sample and - nada. Not a bubble or a froth, and SG still has not moved from 1.023.
Tomorrow the 'fridge the batch is in will go to 21c. On Monday until Friday it will be 22c. I don't want my beer any warmer than that!
Will take a couple more SG readings between now and Friday, which was my planned bottling day (2 weeks). If it still hasn't moved I'll bottle, but I'll: do 1 or 2 in PET bottles so I can squeeze them to judge pressure, and I think I'll condition the whole batch in an old eski, to save mess and eyes etc. should any turn into bottle bombs. Does this seem like sound logic to you guys?

I have noticed toucans do tend to have a high FG (mine have) but not that high. Seeing as you have done a "fast ferment" test with no result the higher temp is a good idea to try. Could try adding a bit of sugar to the fast ferment bottle see if it ferments that out and see where it ends up.

I would hold off bottling until you have tried all options an extra week or two will only be good. If the SG does not drop any I would bottle the lot in PET for safety and peace of mind.

EDIT: I just bottled my toucan stout + IPA it has been in fermenter for a month all up FG was 1.018

Thanks TB's.
Wouldn't adding more sugar to the test sample defeat the whole purpose of a test sample, unless I added the same ratio of sugar to the main batch? Perhaps making a "mini starter" with fresh yeast and dex/dme would be better?

Could bottle it all into PET bottles, but was hoping to age most of it until this time next year, and have been told that PET bottles will loose carbonation after 6 or so months.

Want to free up fermenting space, could perhaps rack to a cube on it's side in fridge which will still leave room for a FV on top of it.

Damn you SG 1.023, go down I say, go down.

Thanks TB's.
Wouldn't adding more sugar to the test sample defeat the whole purpose of a test sample, unless I added the same ratio of sugar to the main batch? Perhaps making a "mini starter" with fresh yeast and dex/dme would be better?

Adding sugar to the test is to see if the yeast is alive, even the us05*. I would take a new SG reading of the test and see if the new sugar ferments, if it does then there is a better liklelyhood that your brew is done, if it doesn't your yeast may have commited suicide.

*I have had a couple of beers so I might be missing something.

That's pretty much what I was meaning if it fires up again the yeast is good and if it stops at 1.023 again then you can be sure that's going to be your FG. You may find that the test bottle once fired up may just keep going down by a few points. Give it a shake every time you pass it.

OK, fairy nuff. Will give that a go, but now I have added the US-05 to the test and not the main it may only prove that the US-05 is alive. Arrgh, confusing.*
*I've also had a few, so may also be missing something. :)

OK.
Added 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to test stubbie.
Checked SG straight away - still 1.023 (so I guess it hadn't disolved yet). Then had to go out for a bit. 3 hours later SG was 1.024, and when I shake the stubbie it fizzes again, it had stopped doing this. I guess thats a sign of active yeasts?
So, at least some of the yeast (be it the original Coopers or the little bit of US-05) is still viable. If the test sample stops (again) at 1.023, and the main batch (now @ 21c) stays at 1.023 until my planned bottling day - what should I do?
As stated, bottling into PET bottles is an option, but I'd hoped to save some / most of this brew for next winter. Oh well, I guess we still have 4-5 months of cooler weather to go this year.
When I bottle should I prime with a reduced amount of sugar - maybe just aim for a low carbonation?
Would racking be of any use in this situation?
What temperature should I condition the bottles at?
Arrgh.
I need a beer!
Hmm.
Just so happens... :)

The cascade porter is on the move again. Ive warmed things up a bit 22-23˚c and given it a stir as well. SG is down 3pts to 1019 so think ill just give it some time and see what happens.

My toucan has also moved a little.
Test sample with added sugar and yeast, in a warm spot (next to wood heater) and shaken multiple x per day is now. SG 1.018
Main batch - @20-21c for last few days is now @ SG 1.021. I sanitised a big spoon and gave it a good stir to get all the yeast etc. back up off the bottom, and have bumped temp up to 22c.
Had planned on bottling on Friday - maybe friday 24th at this rate.

Back