Fg Stopped At 1020

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

base2aau

Reaction score
My Cascade Spicy Ghost has stopped brewing at 1020 I am not sure where to go from here.

I made it up with 1 kg or Brigalow extra malt and a sacjet of S04 and topped it up to 20 liters

I am not sure where to go from here? it has been 14 days I have given it swirl Nothing seems to help.

it has been a little cool here in Brisbane I guess this would have something to do with this.

The SG was 1055

Maybe try throwing in a sachet of coopers yeast?

My Cascade Spicy Ghost has stopped brewing at 1020 I am not sure where to go from here.

I made it up with 1 kg or Brigalow extra malt and a sacjet of S04 and topped it up to 20 liters

I am not sure where to go from here? it has been 14 days I have given it swirl Nothing seems to help.

it has been a little cool here in Brisbane I guess this would have something to do with this.

The SG was 1055

Maybe try throwing in a sachet of coopers yeast?

Warm it up to about 22 -25 deg and see what happens. Temp at ths point won't be a problem.
Else keg it and wait, it will come down slowly.

BOG

63% attenuation isn't *that* bad but it should drop a bit more. warm her up to 20 or so and leave it another week. if no good, just bottle it. is "Brigalow extra malt" liquid malt extract or dry? if it's liquid it won't ferment out as much, leaving you with a higher FG and more malt "body" to the beer.

63% attenuation isn't *that* bad but it should drop a bit more. warm her up to 20 or so and leave it another week. if no good, just bottle it. is "Brigalow extra malt" liquid malt extract or dry? if it's liquid it won't ferment out as much, leaving you with a higher FG and more malt "body" to the beer.

brigalow extra malt is a dry malt.

It very sweet but I really like it.

I am worried that it will keep fermenting after I keg it.

brigalow extra malt is a dry malt.

It very sweet but I really like it.

I am worried that it will keep fermenting after I keg it.

I would recommend racking it to a scondary fermentor and raising the temp a little as per other comments above.

If you are kegging it, you could do so now if you wish, the cold fridge will inhibit any remaining fermentation that may occur, and the keg can take the small additional extra pressure this would create if left to ferment further in warmer conditions.

If it tastes alright, keg it... if you keep the keg cold it won't matter if it's not quite finished.

Or, you could rack it to your keg and keep it at room temperature, the racking might knock the yeast back into action - just pull the release valve every now and then if there's action.

Yeah, a stout I just brewed stopped at 1.022 (OG 1.062) - when I noticed it had stopped I measured it, then upped the temp a couple of degrees and left for another two days. The SG hadn't moved at all over this time so that was enough for me, I dropped the temp to 3 to cold condition for a week and will keg and gas it tomorrow. In a keg, it's not so much of a problem. If you bottle a beer that you don't think is fully fermented, that's when you can get glass-grenades.

I know this might seem like a silly question but how do I raise the temp/? I don't have a heating band

Should I just put it in the laundry sink and fill the sink with hot water?

There are numerous alternatives including:

* wrap an electric blanket round the fermenter

* put the fermenter in a big cardboard or polystyrene box with an incandescent light (which gives off some warmth)

* move the fermenter to a warmer part of the house

You want to use gentle heat so that the temperature changes slowly. Fast changes will make the yeast unhappy, and unhappy yeast do not good beer make.

T.

Latest posts

Back