Fermenting Under Pressure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ROLF really 35 pages and "Why" is still a mystery.

Devoutharpist & Half-Baked - you both need to understand Daltons Law, in a mixture of gasses each gas pretty much acts alone and isn't affected by the other gases (given they don't react chemically), so lots of dissolved CO2 wont reduce the amount of dissolved O2.
One gas can displace another physically, basically a large flow of CO2 will "blow" O2 out of the fermenter with it, Nitrogen (N2) does it better if you are thinking of purging to reduce O2.
Which raises some interesting questions about why you would bung up the fermenter so gas cant escape.

Going back to brewing basics, We only want O2 in the wort for that very brief time while yeast is reproducing, at every other point in the process it does harm. I know how fast O2 picked up in packaging can turn a NEPA into dish water, appears to be a pretty good rule of thumb that the hoppier the beer the more damage it does and the faster.
If I was planning an extremely hoppy beer I would start working on O2 exclusion from malt milling on.
Consider using an air stone and a trickle of CO2 in the mash and kettle.
Avoid aggressive stirring, or pouring liquids so that you pick up O2, consider preparing all your liquor (strike and sparge water) by purging with CO2 for ~10 minutes before using (put your water in some cubes/kegs/jerries...). Have a read up on Low DO brewing!
When it comes to pitching the yeast, my normal practice is to aerate with O2, for a super hoppy beer I would seriously think of skipping aeration, either use dry yeast that doesn't require aeration or build up a liquid starter. In either case think seriously of pitching at higher rates so you don't end up under pitching (pitch at the high end of the recommended ranges for the yeast you choose) without the recommended 10ppm or so of DO the yeast wont reproduce as much.
When you transfer, make sure that the kegs/bottles and all your lines are thoroughly flushed out (more CO2).

World wide Commercial Lager makes up about 90% of the beer sold, so most of the research is done on this type of beer.
One of the main aims of a Lager brewer is to minimise Esters. Most of these are produced during yeast reproduction and in the first 48 Hours of fermentation. Commercial brewers generally allow the fermenter to vent freely (or close to) for the first couple of days (remember that this has been pretty heavily researched). During the early stages of the ferment we want the fermenter to vent easily, this carries out any residual O2 as well as quite a few other undesirable volatiles, after that its pretty common to apply a bit of over pressure, to save money on CO2 as much as anything, the Reinheitsgebot precludes bringing CO2 into the brewery, prevents embarrassing tank damage when cooling...
The CO2 produced in the first 48 Hours isn't regarded as being pure enough to be used for conditioning beer. No one is pressurising early in the ferment.

Bunging the fermenter (usually with a PRV) is done when there are enough fermentables left to condition the beer (plus a touch), usually based on a forced ferment (AKA fast ferment) test. At this end of the ferment ester production isn't really an issue and the undesirable volatiles have already been scrubbed out. Whether you are talking about adding specie, sugar or just bunging the fermenter, this is a continuation of the initial ferment and wont make much in the way of off flavours.
The other big aim of lager brewers is to reduce (eliminate) Diacetyl, Pressure fermentation has been explored to this end, but at pressures in Pa's not kPa's ranges have been applied. This is a fraction of what some homebrewers are talking about.
Measurable rises in acetaldehyde were recorded, there is even an equation that calculates how much Diacetyl you will reduce for a given pressure/temperature and how much Acetaldehyde you will gain. but it appears to be a trade off.
Bunging late to condition beer, I get that, its an old and well tested process.
Personally I cant see the point in pressure fermenting, except as part of conditioning beer.
Some (very small) over pressure to make sure nothing undesirable is getting into your fermenter is good, above that Meh.
Mark

Grok
People can survive without food for two weeks, using your version of logic, one meal a fortnight is all you need.
Brave to ask for an opinion - mine is you have rocks in your head!
M

Well, such passion MHB! I bet you feel better after venting (under pressure of course) that lot!
But I don't see you addressing my question, just a put down instead.
It would be nice if an intelligent discussion could follow and stay on topic.
I don't see why people should be flamed for asking a genuine question.

Does an athlete not train under pressure to get better? Is Darwin's theory of evolution where life has to adapt to changing environments, predators etc, or perish wrong? In nature, the strong survive and the weak die. Farmers practice selective breeding all the time, and brewers want the strongest yeast cells to use- yes? The practice of acid washing or Chlorine Dioxide Solution is used to kill off other bacteria and weak yeast cells leaving the strongest yeast to carry on. I'm putting forward that a pressure environment may help to knock off weak yeast cells and possibly other bacteria thereby leaving the stronger (more adaptive?) yeast to thrive.
So, getting back to the question,
Is Pressure Fermenting actually better for yeast health?
I don't for one minute profess to knowing the answer, I just want to know if there is one!
I also don't see why O2 is even contemplated in a pressure tank, I thought the yeast will use all the available o2 in its early life cycle, then switch to anaerobic mode to carry on, so unless the lid is lifted or depressurized to the point where fresh air can get in, then I fail to see why it is being discussed in this thread.

Devoutharpist & Half-Baked - ...
Which raises some interesting questions about why you would bung up the fermenter so gas cant escape.

Going back to brewing basics, We only want O2 in the wort for that very brief time while yeast is reproducing, at every other point in the process it does harm. I know how fast O2 picked up in packaging can turn a NEPA into dish water, appears to be a pretty good rule of thumb that the hoppier the beer the more damage it does and the faster.
If I was planning an extremely hoppy beer I would start working on O2 exclusion from malt milling on.
Consider using an air stone and a trickle of CO2 in the mash and kettle.

Perhaps i haven't really been clear of my intentions in my exploratory statements here as i try to learn form others' experience, but I think you have answered the question yourself. As per my last post, i am intending to bung it up (albeit with a spunding valve, so whatever gasses reside can escape to a degree) as fermentation nears its end to build up to around 5-6 psi to negate collapse due to negative pressure. Cold crash to attempt to settle all of the hop matter floating about so that it doesn't clog the lines for the... closed transfer to a purged keg :cheers:

I can see the merits of the full low oxygen process, but alas i don't have the equipment or the means to purchase such at the moment. Especially when i brew a lot of other styles that i personally haven't seen the need to reduce oxygen in yet. So i figure, avoiding oxygen at the end of the process is better than nothing for styles such as NEIPAs or any other heavily hopped IPA. If i can push the effects of oxidation back a month or two, the beer will be gone anyway and that is a win in my books.

Well, such passion MHB! I bet you feel better after venting (under pressure of course) that lot!
But I don't see you addressing my question, just a put down instead.
It would be nice if an intelligent discussion could follow and stay on topic.
I don't see why people should be flamed for asking a genuine question.

Does an athlete not train under pressure to get better? Is Darwin's theory of evolution where life has to adapt to changing environments, predators etc, or perish wrong? In nature, the strong survive and the weak die. Farmers practice selective breeding all the time, and brewers want the strongest yeast cells to use- yes? The practice of acid washing or Chlorine Dioxide Solution is used to kill off other bacteria and weak yeast cells leaving the strongest yeast to carry on. I'm putting forward that a pressure environment may help to knock off weak yeast cells and possibly other bacteria thereby leaving the stronger (more adaptive?) yeast to thrive.
So, getting back to the question,
Is Pressure Fermenting actually better for yeast health?
I don't for one minute profess to knowing the answer, I just want to know if there is one!
I also don't see why O2 is even contemplated in a pressure tank, I thought the yeast will use all the available o2 in its early life cycle, then switch to anaerobic mode to carry on, so unless the lid is lifted or depressurized to the point where fresh air can get in, then I fail to see why it is being discussed in this thread.
Even though yeast is stressed by many things it has the ability to survive, it was here before the earth had oxygen and it will be here after we have all gone, yeast does not necessarily have to use the oxygen, it pleases itself what it uses. There are plenty of articles in Wiley online library about the effect of pressure, and dissolved co2 stressing out the yeast. So no, as it has been said many times in this thread pressure fermenting is detrimental to yeast health. When I was in Europe last year I visited a lot of small brewery's all were open fermenting. I am sure if I had even mentioned fermenting under pressure I would have been locked away in a facility for the ill at ease.
Here is an article about yeast by Tracy Aquilla, I have posted an abridged version before.
http://kotmf.com/articles/yeastbiochem.pdf

Grok
We have been selectively breading yeast for hundreds (arguably 8-10 thousand) of years, the main selective pressure being how much we enjoy the product.
We know yeast will reproduce and ferment faster at +30oC than it does at say 16oC, does that mean we should start brewing that hot?
To answer your question No! brewing at high pressure isn't better for yeast health, based on all the evidence I can find the lower the pressure early in the ferment the better.

Devoutharpist
Its a bit more complicated than you might expect, O2 can be taken up early in the process and come back to haunt you later. Agreed that most of the harm particularly in highly hopped beer will happen later in the process (especially in packaging). Making a stable NEPA is a challenge, the best I have seen are made by brewers who take pretty extreme measures to minimise O2 pickup at every step in the process - but as you say better to exclude it late than not at all.

M

I seriously do not want to get into a huge debate - I’m not a scientist/ microbiologist, nor brewmeister, not even a guru!
Funny though Coopers fermenters (home brew) don’t have airlocks anymore.
And everyone is busting their arse to get hold of a fermzilla or other conical pressure fermenter.
One thing I have noticed since the rise of the popularity of homebrewing (I.e there is money to be made) & social media - everyone has an opinion! Like they say opinions are like arseholes - everyone has one!
I do know this however - I have fermented a few beers under pressure in an old mini keg. It was quick, the beer was nice and the yeasties survived.
Is it right f$&*ed if I know, would it meet with approval from the guys at Lion, Coopers etc. again dont know and in fact ( sorry guys) I actually don’t care! I’m not selling my stuff, even though I have been asked to consider it.
I know I’m producing beers that taste great ( if I had a big ego I would say far better than the commercial swill I used to drink).
And it’s fun learning shit! And if I do stuff one up, I can dump it! Afterall it’s cheap enough!
Anyway that’s the end of my input on the subject .
Cheers and enjoy the hobby!

I'm starting to think perhaps there should have been two threads... fermenting under pressure and applying pressure near the end of fermentation.

I'm starting to think perhaps there should have been two threads... fermenting under pressure and applying pressure near the end of fermentation.
I can see your point, there are two different thoughts on this approach, but it did all start from one source so I guess they do, rightly or wrongly belong in the same thread. More wrong than right.

@Grok to answer your question, is pressure fermentation better for yeast health, the answer according to Dr Charlie Bamforth, Chris White (and anyone else I have read who is recognised as a global authority) is a resounding no. Pressure fermentation is detrimental to yeast health.

Can you still successfully brew under pressure? Yes.

Will the beer be better? No

Will it be produced faster? Yes

@Kenf the reason I (and I suspect many others) am interested in buying a Fermzilla has nothing to do with fermenting under pressure. There are a number of things that appeal to me - easily the biggest drawcard is the ability to transfer beer from my fermenter to keg in an oxygen free environment. Other benefits include being able to remove the yeast cake without introducing oxygen, adding hops without introducing oxygen, but fermenting under pressure (except as @devoutharpist suggests at the end of fermentation to carbonate) is of zero interest to me.

i reckon my beer is way better since i started pressure fermenting "better hop forward ales"

i got no idea if i have suddenly turned into a better brewer = unlikely or it is the pressure fermenting = more likely

IMO a big part of it may be the more closed less O2 brewing system it creates in my brewery using co2 to push beer into kegs etc out of the kegmenters

how does the Fermzilla stop o2 when adding hops?
(i cube hop but don't dry hop into kegmenter, all cube hop / break is poured in)

IMO a big part of it may be the more closed less O2 brewing system it creates in my brewery using co2 to push beer into kegs etc out of the kegmenters
I reckon you hit the nail on the head right there, but I'm far from an expert. Regardless of what it is that's improving your beers, I'm pleased to hear your beer quality is heading in the right direction. After all, that's what a forum like this ought to be about at its core - not whether you like the supplier in the blue corner or the supplier in the red corner. Thank christ the other place exists and is a model of civil discourse, because the Keg Universe v Keg Galaxy posts over here do my head in.

how does the Fermzilla stop o2 when adding hops?
Have you watched the promo video? If not have a look - it describes the benefits better than I can. Kee describes how you can flush out the collection jar with CO2 before adding hops, and then reflushing with CO2 after adding hops before letting the wort back in the jar.

Last edited:
ahh i thought it might be just flushing with c02

i have been flushing my drinking keg with co2 by just giving them a quick blast of gas to maybe push out the 02

Interesting that White Labs offer a High Pressure Lager Yeast WLP925, anybody tried it?

Last edited:
There is an interesting article written here https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/j.2050-0416.2001.tb00083.x (if you open this more than once, make sure to open in incongito mode as they appear to track your usage and will try to make you buy it if you open it more than once).

On pg4 there are graphs there showing the impact on temperature and pressure on a lager.

They mention 1.05 bars and 1.8 bars, I assume they are referring to bar absolute not bar gauge (so consider them 0.05 barg and 0.8 barg).

They show a substantial reduction in yeast cell count at higher pressure so the conclusion to draw is that fermenting at pressure has a noticeable reduction in yeast growth and presumably health. The cause of reduced yeast growth is noted to be increased CO2 concentration in the wort, which makes sense as it is inhibiting the growth of the yeast by suppressing one of the byproducts of growth. They don't refer to the increased pressure affecting the yeast cell itself as being a factor, as has been mentioned previously in this thread, even stating "Since yeast physiology and the biosynthesis of volatiles are affected by dissolved carbon dioxide and not directly by top pressure, results were analysed taking into consideration the two following parameters: temperature and dissolved CO2 concentrations."

Interestingly there is no impact on fusel alcohol production at 16 degC either under pressure or not, but at low tempertures there is a slight reduction at higher pressure.

Fermenting hot under high pressure produces similar esters to low temperature. An interesting thing here is that ester production really starts to ramp up after most of the fermentation is complete, so in the "cleanup" tail end phase of fermentation.

And fermenting under pressure slows fermentation in general at an equivalent temperature, presumably due to lower yeast growth. So if people are fermenting under pressure but at the same temperature as they did previously, they are slowing fermentation - so you may as well ferment hotter (for lagers at least).

Last edited:
There is a podcast on post 630 where they used this yeast, take note near the end Chris White says, 'I wish someone would make an open fermenter'
That utube link on post 630 is Beersmith Podcast #163 and it is very interesting indeed. I have seen it before but kinda forgot about it and was happy to check it out again. Its amazing how information can go over ones head first time round because we weren't ready to receive all of info properly.

The yeast used was WLP833 German Bock Lager Yeast stated at (19:50) time stamp, and not WLP925 I asked about!

At (46:05) Chris White refers to open fermenters for traditional flavour profiles and thats a fair enough comment, but then in the same breathe is saying take the lid off in a couple of days to skim off some yeast, then "put the lid back down again to clean it better" presumably referring to pressurizing, or maybe repressurizing? Anyway, my point is your comment in isolation is a bit out of context I think.

In the results chart that came from that podcast discussion, the time span is not stated on the chart, but is mentioned in the video that the unpressurized Lager batch was done the traditional way over 8 weeks (presumably at cooler temp), and the other batches were at 20 degrees Celisus over 2 weeks.
To me, the comments from Chris White indicated the cooler temps used for "Lagering" stressed the yeast abit to suppress certain esters, same as the increased pressure/higher temp does, but in a much shorter time span with very similar taste results.

Results chart.
upload_2019-7-8_11-33-27.png

My own observations are that the pressure takes a while to build up anyway (12~24hrs ish) depending on temp of course, so maybe start temp can be used on its own for good effect.
I have got my hands on some WLP925 High Pressure Lager yeast and will try it next batch, we shall see how it goes!

Last edited:
Chris White did mention the high pressure lager yeast at around the 6 minute mark for the guy who had to make the lager for a football game. I did think they had used it in the experiment, obviously not.

At (46:05) Chris White refers to open fermenters for traditional flavour profiles and thats a fair enough comment, but then in the same breathe is saying take the lid off in a couple of days to skim off some yeast, then "put the lid back down again to clean it better" presumably referring to pressurizing, or maybe repressurizing? Anyway, my point is your comment in isolation is a bit out of context I think.

He was talking about the open fermenter, skim or harvest the yeast off the top to get good fresh yeast to save. Even though it is an open fermentation it would possibly need some sort of cover, days gone by a tea towel was thrown over a fermenter which was quite often a large glazed pot which was used for storing bread. 'Cleaning better' would have been referring to the yeast cleaning up, no pressure involved.
Just try the high pressure yeast and see what you think, if you are happy with it and can't tell the difference between a lagered lager or a high speed lager stick with it.

He was talking about the open fermenter, skim or harvest the yeast off the top to get good fresh yeast to save. Even though it is an open fermentation it would possibly need some sort of cover, days gone by a tea towel was thrown over a fermenter which was quite often a large glazed pot which was used for storing bread. 'Cleaning better' would have been referring to the yeast cleaning up, no pressure involved.

Hmmm, can't say I'm convinced about that, considering the whole session was about pressure fermenting, however I'll let it go.

I'd still like to know if anybody else has used the WLP925 with a pressure ferment and their thoughts.

@weal - Somewhere in either this monster thread or elsewhere you mentioned about the collection of CO2 for re-use. Is there a separate thread around that that you could point me to?

Or is there benefit in such a thread being created if there isn't already for those new to the game (aka me) who may want to look at taking advantage of this.

Latest posts

Back