Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Fermenting Under Pressure

Discussion in 'General Brewing Techniques' started by wobbly, 12/7/12.

1. Mya

Posted 9/7/19
    Some people use mylar balloons attached to the fermenter to collect CO2 so that when you cold crash it sucks in the CO2 from the balloon rather than just air.

2. jollster101

Posted 9/7/19
    Thanks.

I recall (I think) that WEAL was collecting into a spare keg he had via some method or other. Bit sketchy on the memory hence the ask.

3. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 9/7/19
    It is somewhere in this thread, as it isn't really anything to do with pressure fermenting I suppose a new thread could be created.

4. MHB

Posted 9/7/19
    I know some brewers are very money conscious (tight as a fishes....) but before you go rushing off and storing CO2 that you cant be sure is either pure or sterile.
    Every Mole of a gas occupies about 22.4L at STP (0.0oC & 1Bar), the number of moles can be found by dividing a mass by the Molecular Weight (MW) of the gas, for CO2 it about 44MU. I pay $10 a kg for CO2, so for that I get -
    1000g/44= 22.73Moles*22.4L/M=509L or enough to fill 25 of 20L kegs or 40cents per keg full.
    Lets just say at that price I would happily part with up to $1, just to be sure the gas I use ids both pure and sterile.
    I certainly would be investing a lot of time or effort in capturing CO2, or methane from farts either. Both strike me as a pretty problematic.
    Mark

razz, JDW81 and damohb like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted