fermenting steps using fridge (& yeast) in hot weather.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acrow

Reaction score
How all,

After messing up my last ferment (and pouring down the sink) :( due to it's high fermenting temperature, I have decided to buy a small fridge (has 2 doors with freezer on top) to help keep temperature consistant during fermenting.

From what I have read, I need to get/do: (does this seem rightish)

- get a SMC-1000
- have fridge at lowest temperature (or should setting be least cold?)
- stick the probe to side of fermenting container
- place some foam over the probe
- plug in SMC-1000
- set SMC-1000 between 18 - 21C (not using larger)
- have the SMC-1000 on heat or cool

Also,......another main question/concern is when I have put all the ingrediants into the fermenting container, but if the water is too warm (stuck on temp gauge may show 27C aprox or higher) should I still put the yeast in, thinking it could effect/kill the yeast?

If I shouldn't put it in, what should I do / how would I get around this?

Or, put the yeast in and stick container in fridge?

I'm just a little confused how to 'complete' this step in summer with warmer/hotter water from tap (compared to winter).

Thanks for any advice.

it's an STC1000 but thats splitting hairs, you can get prewired ones with a couple of plugs so you don't have to chop up your fridge wiring which is brilliant if your not a sparky, that way you can use a heat belt and fridge together to keep the temp correct, but your method will work

I personally would put the fermenter into the fridge to chill to 18-20 before pitching yeast, problem you will face is off flavours that will be accentuated by the heat the fermentation will create itself which will increarse your ferment temp a couple of degrees.

Thanks for your quick reply Rehabs...

oops yes, my typo STC1000.

So you mean it is ok to put all ingrediants (except yeast) into fermenter then into fridge to cool it down (possibly even to around 22-23C) and then put yeast in - but in doing so will more than likely create off flavours.

If this is the case, how do people brew during hotter weather knowing the end result will be off flavours?

Although (sorry) I'm a little confused on this bit you wrote.... ""problem you will face is off flavours that will be accentuated by the heat the fermentation will create itself which will increarse your ferment temp a couple of degrees""

acrow said:
Thanks for your quick reply Rehabs...

oops yes, my typo STC1000.

So you mean it is ok to put all ingrediants (except yeast) into fermenter then into fridge to cool it down (possibly even to around 22-23C) and then put yeast in - but in doing so will more than likely create off flavours. it will create less off flavours as it's fermenting lower and within a good temp range and give you a better quality finished beer, its all good pitching the yeast later not days but hours later once it has chlled down a bit

If this is the case, how do people brew during hotter weather knowing the end result will be off flavours? by using chilled water or a chiller, chuck the fermenter into a water bath or fridge to bring the temps down, whats the temp of your cold tap water?

Although (sorry) I'm a little confused on this bit you wrote.... ""problem you will face is off flavours that will be accentuated by the heat the fermentation will create itself which will increarse your ferment temp a couple of degrees"" Fermentation creates heat, so it would mean if you would gain a couple of degrees of heat when it starts to ferment and at 27 it would start pretty quickly so giving you more "twang" or off flavours, best way to avoid the "twang is to try and keep temp constant around the 18 to 20 degree mark and you'll create a much better beer for your efforts
Thought I'd try and be clever with my reply so it answered the right questions

Acrow, you're on the right track, but a few points to note:

1. Ideally, a fermentation fridge will need to be a single chamber, not a fridge/freezer combo (which I think is what you meant by "2-door with freezer on top"). The main compartment on a combo is where you'll have your fermenter, but the STC 1000 switches the WHOLE unit on/off, so the freezer part won't work properly (as a freezer, anyway).

Usually, the compressor/coils chill the freezer section first & then cold air is drawn from it to supply the main fridge. The freezer section is the priority. If you've got nothing in it, the whole unit is going to be confused & work it's guts-out trying to achieve the temperature you want in the main compartment.

Long story short, you're better-off sourcing a single compartment "fridge-only".

2. What rehabs-for-quitters was trying to say is that you should put your fermenter in the fridge full of your wort & chill it to 2-3 degrees BELOW your desired ACTUAL fermentation temperature (fermentation creates it's own heat) to cool it down before pitching your yeast.

For example: you want to ferment your beer at 18C, so you'd set the STC 1000 for (say) 16C & cool your wort to that temperature. Once it's stable at 16C, pitch your yeast & let the actual fermentation itself increase the temperature to 18C. You only do this for a few days, then adjust the STC 1000 up to 18C in increments to maintain that "sweet-spot" of 18C. It sounds a bit confusing if you've never done it, but give it a go & you'll see what I mean.

I've read bad things about those units you linked to, Scooby.

An STC-1000 is the better choice & is more versatile, 'cos you can wire them up to control both heating and cooling (so you can use them all year round), plus they have a compressor-delay function so you don't wreck your fridge. Definitely shop around.

I have two of those ebay ones from China. They will both heat and cool (though not at the same time). One of these runs my 40 year old fermenting fridge and has no trouble maintaining a constant set temperature. Also there is no problem with the fridge running excessively, in fact quite the opposite, the fridge only runs 10-30 mins a day even in the summer heat.
I would recommend that you attach the sensor to the FV and insulate. When the temperature is raised by fermentation the controller will compensate and turn on.Advantage of these controllers- cheap - plug & play, no need to play with electricity.

A few days before I do a brew, I put 12 litres (4 by 3 litre juice bottles) of water into the house fridge and use these in the FV to lower the wort temp.

I agree that a two door fridge/freezer is less than ideal and just too much hassle.

rehabs_for_quitters said:
Thought I'd try and be clever with my reply so it answered the right questions
That's better :)
Makes more sense to me now - thanks for clarifying.

MartinOC said:
Acrow, you're on the right track, but a few points to note:

1. Ideally, a fermentation fridge will need to be a single chamber, not a fridge/freezer combo (which I think is what you meant by "2-door with freezer on top"). The main compartment on a combo is where you'll have your fermenter, but the STC 1000 switches the WHOLE unit on/off, so the freezer part won't work properly (as a freezer, anyway).

Usually, the compressor/coils chill the freezer section first & then cold air is drawn from it to supply the main fridge. The freezer section is the priority. If you've got nothing in it, the whole unit is going to be confused & work it's guts-out trying to achieve the temperature you want in the main compartment.

Long story short, you're better-off sourcing a single compartment "fridge-only".

2. What rehabs-for-quitters was trying to say is that you should put your fermenter in the fridge full of your wort & chill it to 2-3 degrees BELOW your desired ACTUAL fermentation temperature (fermentation creates it's own heat) to cool it down before pitching your yeast.

For example: you want to ferment your beer at 18C, so you'd set the STC 1000 for (say) 16C & cool your wort to that temperature. Once it's stable at 16C, pitch your yeast & let the actual fermentation itself increase the temperature to 18C. You only do this for a few days, then adjust the STC 1000 up to 18C in increments to maintain that "sweet-spot" of 18C. It sounds a bit confusing if you've never done it, but give it a go & you'll see what I mean.
The fridge/freezer has 2 compartments (opening the fridge door is showing just the fridge area), but I did try to source a fridge only, but this one which is no that old and in excellent condition for $37 was too good to pass up.
But thanks for your good explanation and I will give it all a go once our Adelaide heat wave goes away.

That combo you already have (nice score, BTW!) would be perfect as a serving fridge/kegerator. You could still use the freezer as a freezer (hops storage etc.) & keep the main fridge chamber for serving your bottles/kegs.

Keep on the lookout for a single-compartment fridge, 'though. If you've got the available space, having a dedicated fermentation fridge controlled by an STC 1000 & an internal heat-pad will give you total control over your fermentation temperatures all year round.

One of my fermentation fridges is a two door fridge freezer with freezer on top and I've never had a problem with it. In fact if I want to cold crash faster I just block off the air flow vents in the freezer with duct tape and it forces more cold air down into the fridge section and will drop the beer temp really quickly.

I put water bottles in the freezer section and it keeps them nice and cold whilst I'm fermenting. Often they are partly frozen or fully depending on the ferment temps or time of year.

MartinOC said:
I wouldn't say it's confused or working its guts out.
The fridge is simply on or off, just like fridge/freezers do when they are not connected to a stc100, until the correct temperature is achieved.

As stated, your freezer in this situation can not be used as a freezer anymore, but for a fermenting fridge it will work just as well as a fridge only unit.

I just whispered to my keezer that it is not a freezer anymore. It got upset and confused and blew a fuse. B)

as i live in the tropics I had to get a fridge and stc-1000. as the cold water temp here in the tap in around 26 deg. I went and bought a 25litre water container from the hardware store. I fill this with cold water and put in fridge 24 hrs before brewing and set to around ferment temp. This way when I fill fermenter it is at correct temp and I can ptich yeast straight and not wait for it to cool down

Thanks guys,

Your comments have been very helpful indeed.

From using already chilled water to put into the fermenting container ('der' to me - such an easy solution) to blocking off freezer vents to push all cold to fridge compartment to even using the freezer for hops (not that I'm that good/smart to use hops yet - I'm still a beginner and want to get basics right first).

But it sounds like from my original "is this how to" thoughts I am on the right track and with your advice as well has allowed me to tweak things a bit.

Great stuff guys - thanks again (I'm off the eBay to get the stc1000 and hardware store for a container).

ok, I looked on eBay for a STC-1000 but none pre-wired (except from keg king for $70).

ok too, that wiring myself could be ok (but getting a qualified electrician to test/confirm all ok).

But, there are sellers from China/Hong Kong and sellers from Australia.

I presume the Aussie sellers have purchased from China/Hong Kong anyway (so more than likely the same unit).

But buying from an Aussies seller - should they have something like an Australian Standard sticker/stamp etc. ?

(thinking the China/Hong Kong units could be inferior) but so could the ones from the Aussie sellers (without an Aussie standard 'compliance' sticker/stamp.

What do you guys think ?

the aussie sellers are only on selling the same units.
if you can wait 2-3 weeks for it to turn up, go the china model.
If you are crazy in need buy it local and pay the extra.
May be worth getting a leccy to put together if not real keen yourself.
There are instructions on here but be warned they are not all good, I wired mine up from instructions on here, blew the safety....
tried another lot and all is good. Don't know how the first fella hasn't killed himself.

I see it mentioned earlier but will make the point again. Put plastic bottles of water in the freezer compartment,making sure you are not blocking the down vent where the cold air goes down into the fridge. I was given this advice from a mate who is a white goods mechanic. I had a fridge just as you describe in which I could put 2 fermenters. I went to put a hasp and staple on the door to make sure it was permanently well sealed. Put the drill through a gas line and fridge was Kaput. This turned out to not be as bad as I thought. With a bit of modifying I now have fridge lying on its back with 5 fementers and temp control via an inside/outside thermometer and frozen bottles of water. I have no trouble maintaining a steady temp in the fermenter fridge.

What a handy thread for beginners!

I'm at a similar spot to you, acrow. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of buying two ~120L single-compartment fridges which were too small. I've now bought two ~220L fridges (double-compartment) and have the materials to wire up a couple of STCs with heating as well. Glad to hear the double-compartment ones work ok. I presumed they'd be less efficient - because the freezer gets cooled with the fridge - but figured it'd still work and wouldn't be too bad as the usual setpoint temps aren't far from ambient (~20C) and the unit is well insulated.

I liked the tip about cooling water bottles to add to the wort in order to pitch the yeast sooner. I more-or-less did this on my last brew but only as a last minute thing with about 4 litres in the freezer 30 mins prior to filling the wort up to volume (so not very effective).

I also liked the tip about cooling a couple of degrees below pitching temperature to allow for the heat of initial fermentation.

Also, this thread has some good information for temperature management: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/77000-measuring-fermentation-temperature/

acrow said:
ok, I looked on eBay for a STC-1000 but none pre-wired (except from keg king for $70).

ok too, that wiring myself could be ok (but getting a qualified electrician to test/confirm all ok).
Youll pay $70 alone for the sparkie unless you know one, even then, the amount of times Ive seen a sparkie feck em up here is ridiculous. $70 for a tested complete unit is pretty good IMO.

:icon_cheers:

Back