Fermenting Kit Beer At Around 25 Degrees

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieh

Reaction score
Hi guys, I want my next batch to ferment (kit beer) in 4-7 days ready to bottle...what's the best temp range to achieve this? I'm thinking around 25 degrees and it will be a tooheys kit beer

Sounds delightful.

Do you read other forum posts or mainly just log on to ask questions you should already know the answer to?

I'm not sure if it would be warm enough to get the yeast fermenting :icon_vomit:

QldKev

hi manticle....thanks for the smartass comment....

ive got a fair idea that if i have the fermenter temp at around 25 then my beer should be done in 4-7 days. I thought id quickly ask on here and try and get a direct answer rather than trawling thru the forum to find the answer!

Direct answer = Yes you can go up to 48 before you kill the yeast

buy another couple of kits and pitch all the yeast too, get the bugger off with a bang

The answer is: yes, your nail polish remover will be ready to bottle inside 7 days if you ferment at 25 degrees. Fermenting that warm with most yeasts is known to throw some yuck flavours. Keep your OG lowish and your beer would most likely be fermented out inside 7 days at preferable brewing temps anyway.

Jamie I've answered your myriad questions in detail many times. You don't seem like you actually bother to take anything in or make an effort to help yourself.

If you want to brew beer quickly in 3 days at high temperatures, knowing that all the advice on this forum will be to the contrary then go right ahead - it's your beer. I just don't see why you bother asking questions about it and I don't see why you expect people should waste their time answering stupid questions like this one. Fair enough if you joined yesterday but every question you ask seems like you just want someone to tell you your beer will be OK if you ferment high and bottle early.

No it won't. Maybe you won't care - I have no idea. If you don't then why ask?

I take a lot of time to try and anwswer noob's questions because I was one not so long ago and more experienced brewers helped me, patiently. Unlike you however I actually tried to listen and practice what they told me.

and this

. I thought id quickly ask on here and try and get a direct answer rather than trawling thru the forum to find the answer!

pretty much says it all. You can't be bothered searching, you just want a quick fix from someone else who's done the work for you. Good luck with that.

Yeah i do listen but ive normally brewed at 20-22 which has taken about 1 and a half weeks or so before its ready to bottle. I had the thought that if i brewed a bit higher in temp that itd be done quicker (but might also taste a bit average at the end of the day) So if i just stick to previous good brews and stay at about 20-22 degrees then ill be a happy camper and have a nice beer nearly all of the time. I just wanted to try different methods to speed up the brewing process so that ive got more beer bottled ready to drink sooner rather than later.

Buy a second fermenter (and third etc) and brew more. Yes your brew will be done quicker but quicker is not better. You just need to organise enough brewing while enough is bottle conditioning and enough is ready to keep a flow happening.

Believe me I understand this problem but there is nothing worse than trying to struggle through 20 odd litres of really bad beer while you wait for the next lot to be ready.

As I understand it, most of the off flavours come from esters that develop while the yeast is multiplying at the beginning. Therefore you could start at the lower end like 18C then keep raising once you hit high krausen, maybe a couple of degrees a day and let it finish off at 24.
I reckon that would speed things up a bit with little flavour impact. Let us know how it goes.

Wouldn't it take at least 4 days at 18-20 to reach the secondary phase?

Add to that that beer benefits from extra time on the yeast. You can't take shortcuts and expect good products. Try making a good beef jus in 3 hours (my standard reference point for beer making is beef stock).

If you do ferment it out super quick then it will just need more conditioning time in the bottle before it tastes good so it really defeats the purpose.

If it's a Tooheys kit with 1kg of sugar then fermenting at 25C won't have a huge impact on the flavour - it's gonna be pretty average beer either way.

You can't polish a turd.

However, if you got some nice yeast, some LDME, some hops and made an extract brew ... you might just find that it's beer you're producing and not homebrew. Your tastebuds will thank you for it.

Sure, there are people out there that can make a K&K brew taste delicious - but with that level of knowledge ... why? That's like a chef trying really hard to make gormet baked beans on toast ... a bit like dressing up your pets - embarassing for everyone including your pets.

You were happy with KK brews for 20 odd years though weren't you?

You were happy with your right hand for 20 odd years too ... till you tried the real thing. Probably.

EDIT: :lol: :D :D

I switch from left to right to real and back again but yes I see your point

you may save a little time in the fermenter

but it still needs 6 weeks in the bottle to be anywhere near good

Wouldn't it take at least 4 days at 18-20 to reach the secondary phase?
Not necessarily. Sorry for interrupting your little bitch fight, which is very entertaining so please continue, but commercial brewers also look for ways to maximise efficiency in the brew house and I think it's a valid question.
If you pitched an active starter at 18C you could get to high krausen in 24 hours, then increase to 20 for a day, then 22 then 24 and I reckon you could probably bottle on day 5. If you did the same recipe a few times and kept good notes you could even bottle on day 3 or 4 with a few gravity points left to carbonate instead of priming, thus saving a few more days. Kegs would save you some time of course, force carbonate in a day instead of waiting 2 weeks in bottles. Now if you looked at improving the starting ingredients you could actually have much better beer and have it faster too.

Fast beer is like fast food ... tastes best when you're drunk.

Back