Fermenting in cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ferment in a cube and use the lid to keep a head of pressure in the FV. This time I forgot to back it off after pitching and the FV now resembles a bee stung version of its old self. I can't seem to post any photos from mobile, but I very nearly ended up with 13L of my pale ale on the floor.

Yup, I can fit 2 x 20lt cubes in my bar fridge. Gladwrap lids.

Release the pressure. It should go back ti normal. If not, next time you put hot liquid in, it should behave as normal.
There is an article in the wiki article section about fermenting in the no-chill cube.

I sometimes use bunnings jerry cans as I can fit them next to the SS brew buckets in the fridge. I Use blow off tubes as there is very little head space

I think there is a fairly lengthy thread on here on using and cleaning the cubes/cans after fermentation

Yup me too. can fit 4 cubes in my fridge at once.
Cleaning them suits me too.. fill up shake round rinse out, fill with sodium percab. and leave for 2 days. Clean, Starsan, Use again.

They have always gone back to shape after a forgetful pitch and tight lid. Usually the next brew and its good to go.

Trevandjo said:
What's better for these? Airlock, blowoff or glad wrap?
Depends on the yeast.

Blow-ff tube is easy to make and stops a lot of mess, but only needed with balistic yeasts

or do as Manticle suggests...

Sometimes I leave the lid loose and put a tea towel or something over it

How do you go about extracting from those bunnings things.. Excuse if a dumb q, but do they have a bung? Or is it syphon territory?

Also when you guys are fermenting two of more cubes in your fridge where do you put the temp probe

storeboughtcheeseburgers said:
How do you go about extracting from those bunnings things.. Excuse if a dumb q, but do they have a bung? Or is it syphon territory?
they have bungs and a screw tap fitting on the side/bottom.

Was gonna try this method On my next cube of wort I got waiting but haven't got a tap on it at the moment after reading about people having trouble with the taps popping off after putting nearly boiling wort in the cube. I was gonna just lay the cube over and unscrew the bung and put on sanitized tap when ready for pitching. I don't see headspace being an issue this time as its a 20 ltr cube with 18 ltr of wort in had to squeeze the shit out of it.

michaeld16 said:

Maybe sandwich the probe between both cubes?
thought about that but what about if you stack them I was just wondering what methods you guys used

Latest posts

Back