Fermenting In A Stock Pot?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim F

Reaction score
I know plastic fermenters work but I'm so over cleaning all the little bits around the tap, screw top etc. Been thinking about what I can use that is as smooth as possible inside, can stand up to a good scrub without getting scratched, and has a wide top for easy access. It seems like a stainless stock pot would do the trick - has anyone ever fermented in one? Any issues? I gladwrap my fermenters anyway so the airlock thing isn't a problem, I empty fermenters with a peristaltic pump so don't need a tap, and I already have glass carboys for secondary if I need them.

I know plastic fermenters work but I'm so over cleaning all the little bits around the tap, screw top etc. Been thinking about what I can use that is as smooth as possible inside, can stand up to a good scrub without getting scratched, and has a wide top for easy access. It seems like a stainless stock pot would do the trick - has anyone ever fermented in one? Any issues? I gladwrap my fermenters anyway so the airlock thing isn't a problem, I empty fermenters with a peristaltic pump so don't need a tap, and I already have glass carboys for secondary if I need them.

While i was at the HB shop geting some ingredients i noticed her fermenters have a plastic bag in them. It would make clean up so easy. Once brewing is over and the there kegged/bottled plug bag and throw out :)

Try your lHBS for them

I can find out about the bags if you are interested

Tim i was just thinking this today. Weird.

I would imagine as long as you can maintain the glad wrap seal should be fine.

Can't see a problem as most comercial breweries ferm in stainless,but the cost of a 20+litre qualitySS stockpot may not justify the minor issue of cleaning a $15 greenshed water carboy and nappysan

why do you need to scrub the fermenter??? I just put about a cap full off sodium perc in there little bit hot water to dissolve it and top it up till it over flows leave it for 1+ days tip solution out or into another fermenter and rinse really well. Just sanitise and use again. Of coarse you have to take the taps apart and soak them to. never had a infection once

Hey Tim, I ferment my small batches in stockpots no worries. after chilling in the sink i pour the wort through a filter into the fermenting pot.

my process is: pitch yeast, starsan the inside of the FV lid, lid goes on pot, glad wrap around the lid/pot joint, put something over the steam hole - tape / blutac / whatevs...too easy

if you don't want to buy more pots just grab a small handi-pail. I often ferment in these too. they just get wiped out with a chux after fermenting

true that but as most plastic biodegradable now adays........

Was an idsea

Structurally and for food saftey i'd think they'd need to be the naughty ones.

:icon_offtopic: Biodegradable plastic bags degrade with moisture and UV, and i dont know but id imagine theyre not so good with alcohol or under pressure. The good thing about them is that they dont end up here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific...on_in_the_ocean

- but what they degrade into could still be an issue - if their of corn starch type thats probably fine, but then that brings in production costs/social issues (like biofuel), and its probably derived of GM corn which is another debate entirely.

Latest posts

Back