Fermenting Fridges

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peteoz77

Reaction score
OK, so I have never used a fermenting fridge except for when I was making a lager.. I used my chest freezer with a temp control on it. Trouble is, I use this now regularly for spare full kegs, and I could only get one fermenter into it. I regularly have 4 full fermenters, and just nowhere to keep them at temp.

So, while browsing allclassifieds.com.au, I stumbled across a pigeon pair. A pigeon pair is an upright freezer and a fridge that look identical except one opens to the left, the other to the right. I picked them up tonight, and they are perfect! I can fit two fermenter into each one! I also picked up two temperature controllers, which I will cut holes for, and mont in the doors of the pair. Total cost is $220.00 and they are only a few years old.

So, the wife is happy because I will finally have everything outside in my brewing area, and the spare bathroom will be free of fermenters. I am happy because after I get them set up with temp controllers and light bulbs, they will be a constant 18 degrees ( 1 degree either way).

Life is good! I now have:

1 keg fridge that holds 6 kegs and has 6 perlick taps
1 Chest freezer that holds 4 spare kegs and 2 cases of wine.
2 Fermenting fridges that hold 4 fermenters.

Now all I need is a solar setup to power them all!

Oh yeah, pic to follow once I get the temp controllers fitted.

There will always be something else to add to the brewery though!

Sounds great though that big fridge!

Hanging out for a pic!!!

Life is good! I now have:

1 keg fridge that holds 6 kegs and has 6 perlick taps
1 Chest freezer that holds 4 spare kegs and 2 cases of wine.
2 Fermenting fridges that hold 4 fermenters.

Now all I need is a solar setup to power them all!

Oh yeah, pic to follow once I get the temp controllers fitted.

I am happy because after I get them set up with temp controllers and light bulbs, they will be a constant 18 degrees ( 1 degree either way).
I was looking for some sort of light to heat one of my fridges, but in the end I found this for $19.95.

Hi Peteoz77,
What a setup!
What type of Fermentation Temperature Controller are you using if you don't mind?
Does it handle both Fridges?
Just interested as I am building my own: www.users.on.net/~s.walker

That is very good value!

Good buy.

Fear_n_loath

Hate to boast,but I was,at the tip this morning saw a westinghouse upright freezer,thought to myself "I wonder if that will work" took it home and it does! ,perfect ,fits two 40l fermenters,so am a very happy boy.

I have bought two controllers that control both heating and cooling I'll hook the heating up to a heat light and the cooling..well into the compressor.

Hi Peteoz77,
What a setup!
What type of Fermentation Temperature Controller are you using if you don't mind?
Does it handle both Fridges?
Just interested as I am building my own: www.users.on.net/~s.walker

All Completed, $260 spent, with the temp controllers, light fittings, lights, wiring, and everything required.!

I have bought two controllers that control both heating and cooling I'll hook the heating up to a heat light and the cooling..well into the compressor.

nice ferment fridges mate just wondering how many litres each fridge was rated at

the reason I ask is Im after an all fridge that will hold 2 fermenters & youres are just the right size by the looks

Hey Pete,

great setup, I wish I had that much controlled fermenting space

I hope you ditched that glass shelf in the fridge, many a sad story has started on one of those.

cheers

grant

Hey Pete,

great setup, I wish I had that much controlled fermenting space

I hope you ditched that glass shelf in the fridge, many a sad story has started on one of those.

cheers

grant

I'm curious if one of the 'chambers' is more power efficient than the other at fermentation temperatures?

I'm currently scoping out a new/nother keg storage and/or fermentation fridge

Got permission from SWMBO for a 420L All-fridge (or possible All-freezer) if I can find a cheap one.

Wondering if your freezer is the more economical to run for fermentation? If so, do you run the freezer as a priority? ie only use the fridge when the freezer is full?

Looking good mate... spent all of Saturday kitting out a new fermentation fridge myself (put together my stc-1000 and built sturdier shelves for inside using slotted metal and checkerplate). Have you tried putting a full fermenter on those shelves? Would be interested to know if they will handle the weight (cause mine didn't),

Back