Fermenting Cabinet/bench Space Idea..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you could put water jackets on your fermenters, keep a large container of water in the fridge and use the temperature controller to circulate cold water through the fermenter jacket as needed with a pump. you'd probably want to insulate your fermenters as well. would give you precise temperature control for each fermenter.

Im awear this may kill the fridge but as stated above its an old fridge which i dont care if it dies.. and if it doesn't then bonus! the bar fridge idea would be good so i could get more bench space but at the moment i have a spare fridge and I dont really wanna spend anymore money on it.. I can always rip out the old fridge if I get a bar fridge then put more bench over the top.

If the fridge you have now dies you could get an upright freezer, as you'd think a freezers compressor would be able to handle it a lot better.

You should also think about condensation etc particularly if you don't design this exactly the right way. For example I have two bar fridges I use at 18 degrees. One is frost free and one isn't. The one that isn't frost free is so wet inside that water drips out under the door and has ended up staining the concrete etc. Real pain in the butt. I think moisture control is going to be needed in your setup.

Also regarding not wanting to spend money on fridges, wouldn't you be spending heaps of money and time on your design?

I have time for design my first kid is due in July so I'll see how much I can get done until then :)
As for the money, I've managed to source some free stuff so I will only have to purchase small parts.. plus already got the temp controllers units just need them wired up.

good point about the frostfree.. I'll have to suss that out..
The fridge was used as a fermenting fridge in its past life and didn't get and water leaking so i hope it'll be fine.

Also regarding not wanting to spend money on fridges, wouldn't you be spending heaps of money and time on your design?

I'd be more worried about moisture collecting in the cabinet areas, I'm not sure if for example warm air can contain more moisture than cold air, and when the fans move the air around to different temperature zones if this means condensation etc.

Either way the way around this may be to have sloping roofs and gutters at the bottom of each wall to collect water, with maybe a way for this to drain off somewhere.

It may sound a bit over the top but just one bar fridge can produce a lot of water, a few big cabinets could produce a serious amount. Also if it's not sealed up perfectly or if you open the doors heaps obviously moisture will get in. Just something to think about anyway. There may be a way to set up some kind of humidity trap that removes moisture from the air for you too.

What about using a air conditioner how low a temperature can they be ajusted to and they dry the air

What about using a air conditioner how low a temperature can they be ajusted to and they dry the air

Would be good for a small cold room for ales, I've never seen one go below 16 degrees.

Back