Fermenter Without Airlock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there, I am trying clingwrap and elastic bands on my new $16 bunnings water drum, and it is day 6 of a Cascade Imperial Voyage pale ale kit, plus LME/dex/cornsyrup, plus hops teabaggy.
I did in fact pierce the glad wrap with a pin (it was before I read this helpful post...).
When I go near to it (to obsessively check temperature and gaze lovingly...) I catch an eggy whiff. Surely it is not infected??? :(

Some yeasts, particularly lager yeasts are renowned for sulphur gas emissions. Wait and see.

Me again, questions questions. Think I'm obsessed.
Just bought a smash collapsible cooler from bunnings, as I am trying to keep my fermenting goodness as cold as possible in hot hot Perth. It is just as tall as my fermenter. No extra room at the top. With cling wrap over fermenter and then the cooler zipped up - it is quite a tight fit. Will the gas still be able to escape?
My other option would be to make a cardboard cuff for the top of the fermenter and attach the sides of the cooler to this.
(link to post by Carboy: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...mp;#entry591462)
What do you experts reckon?

Me again, questions questions. Think I'm obsessed.
Just bought a smash collapsible cooler from bunnings, as I am trying to keep my fermenting goodness as cold as possible in hot hot Perth. It is just as tall as my fermenter. No extra room at the top. With cling wrap over fermenter and then the cooler zipped up - it is quite a tight fit. Will the gas still be able to escape?
My other option would be to make a cardboard cuff for the top of the fermenter and attach the sides of the cooler to this.
(link to post by Carboy: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...mp;#entry591462)
What do you experts reckon?

just zip it up, the cooler will not be air tight. If you are really worried leave the zip 1cm open.

The bag it will be full of CO2, so when you open it don't take a big breath of it.

QldKev

Some yeasts, particularly lager yeasts are renowned for sulphur gas emissions. Wait and see.

Yuck, tested this ale and it tastes YUCK. The egg has stayed, and now I guess I need to empty the entire batch into the compost bin. Any suggestions what else to do with spoiled brew??

How long has it conditioned, what yeast did you use and do you use unrinsed sodium metabisulphite anywhere?

Latest posts

Back