Fermenter Filter [new To Brewing]

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know a bit of sediment isn't going to kill you right? People pay good money for bottle conditioned beers like Coopers Pale Ale and many request the bottle be rolled or turned before opening to rouse the yeast and make the beer cloudy.

I know :p . I'd just prefer to have it clear. I guess I'm just picky, but i prefer to have it as clear as i can.
I don't mind drinking the sediment at all. In fact i was drinking some at the party... (When i put them in the fridge they started to get cloudy... Was that the sediment rising? Or just what happens to beer when cooled?)

You can use your lid-less fermenter with glad wrap to cover the top.

Thought about it... But it just seems like a lot of pointless effort.
  • Clean it out thoroughly (Its been in storage for 8+ years in an old unused house without a lid)
  • Our house is dusty, and i brew in the kitchen
  • I'd probably have to re-adjust the wrap every couple of hours at the peak of fermentation due to gas.
Cheers
The Beer Baron

[*]I'd probably have to re-adjust the wrap every couple of hours at the peak of fermentation due to gas.
[/list]Cheers
The Beer Baron
A couple of pin prick holes in the glad wrap would sort out that issue :)

I can't understand ther reason behind some folks desires to have a sediment-free beer. I've had plenty of 'clear' homebrews in my time (brewed by others) and I really can't see how much trouble there is in standing it upright to cool in the fridge, then pouring it off into a glass. Once you've done that, wha' la - no more sediment.

And drinking from a glass kicks arse over drinking from a bottle, if that's the thought process behind wanting an impossibly clear home beer, so it can be chugged from the longie.

jase, I think the main issue (at least from my perspective) is transporting the beer if you are going out, or the second pour being cloudy if drinking a long kneck on your own. With the transporting it being the main issue. ;)

jase, I think the main issue (at least from my perspective) is transporting the beer if you are going out, or the second pour being cloudy if drinking a long kneck on your own. With the transporting it being the main issue. ;)

I used to be worried about that but it's now just one of those things :)
My beers also tend to have a little haze but I can't be bothered with filters or finings in the fermenter to sort it out, doesn't make a difference to the taste so I'm happy.

It was rather amusing to see the look on the face of my drunk cousin when I was there the other night and grabbed a beer from the fridge and started gulping it down, it was a coopers sparkling ale of mine and when he placed it on the table I asked him if he knew which beer he grabbed (his tooheys were on the top shelf), he looked at it and said why, I said place it up the light and have a look inside and when he did and saw the yeast he had lifted up he went green, hehehe.

I think these pansies paying 'good money' for a bottle conditioned beer and ASKING to have it rolled should be sticking to drinking Vodka Cruisers and wearing skirts.

I think these pansies paying 'good money' for a bottle conditioned beer and ASKING to have it rolled should be sticking to drinking Vodka Cruisers and wearing skirts.

Which just shows that you've never had a beer in a cloudy style that was even halfway decent....some beers are meant to be cloudy. :rolleyes:

(When i put them in the fridge they started to get cloudy... Was that the sediment rising? Or just what happens to beer when cooled?)

Sounds like "chill haze", try a search - I don't know enough to properly explain it :)

It really wouldn't be that hard to revitalise your old fermenter, but when you can get them so cheap ("water" containers at bunnings etc for $20 or so with a tap) I think its easy enough to justify getting a nice clean new one.

Which just shows that you've never had a beer in a cloudy style that was even halfway decent....some beers are meant to be cloudy. :rolleyes:

Agreed! Have you ever tried a hefeweizen without the yeast? :icon_vomit: IMO, far too sweet without the bready bitterness that the yeast gives you :)

taken from an advertisement,
To get the the full flavour effect stir the sediment throughout the beer by tipping the bottle on its side before opening.

that was from a Pale Ale Advertisement. But I still don't think going to a pub and asking for the bottle to be rolled makes either the Pale or Sparking any better.

taken from an advertisement,

that was from a Pale Ale Advertisement. But I still don't think going to a pub and asking for the bottle to be rolled makes either the Pale or Sparking any better.

Which is a matter of opinion. Not all pale ales are clear, nor should they be. It depends on the specific beer. Many pale ales are meant to be served cloudy, because the yeast adds a particular quality to the beer; conversly, many are not, because the yeast detracts from the beer itself. It's a matter of balance. If it is designed to be cloudy, it will be better that way. If it's a fine ale, it won't. Deliberate cloudiness is not just the province of heffes.

But regardless of that, insulting people that prefer their beer cloudy (and in the case of coopers, the brewers have designed it with cloudiness in mind. Pale on tap is always cloudy. In the bottle, you have the choice, because the yeast will settle.) by calling them pansies and saying they should wear skirts and drink vodka cruisers, is, imho, not on. It's not your differing viewpoint I object to, quantocks. It's the insulting manner in which you express it.

RE filtering, i read about ppl putting inline filters during racking.
Ok you want to reduce sediment and clouding but surely this will reduce the amount of yeast available for bottling???

Yes, it will. However, the amount of yeast required for effective carbonation is minimal compared to what is required for a primary ferment. For the pleated cannister type filters, such as sold on craftbrewer (as opposed to sheet or depth filters, which are totally different), plenty of yeast remains for bottle carbonation.

Latest posts

Back