Fermentation Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakeebsary

Reaction score
Hey ppl

Ive got a Ginger beer brew goin at the moment, i put it on round the 30th of last month, its still fermenting. ive kept the temp stable at 22 degrees the whole time. It said on the can that it would take round 4 days at optimal temperature! have i done nething wrong?

Hey ppl

Ive got a Ginger beer brew goin at the moment, i put it on round the 30th of last month, its still fermenting. ive kept the temp stable at 22 degrees the whole time. It said on the can that it would take round 4 days at optimal temperature! have i done nething wrong?

So I assume it is a kit GB? Did you add any extra fermentables?
I made GB some time ago, it wasnt a kit, but it took a lot longer to ferment out compared to the normal strength beers I have done..

Have you taken gravity readings, and does it smell ok?

yea it is a kit GB, Coopers i think. yea it smells fine. just took a sg reading, its round 1005. it says on the tin 2 take 2 readings on consecutive days and make sure that they are the same. i would do this after fermentation has stopped wouldnt i??

Thanks 4 the help

Blake, sometimes it seems as though fermentation is still going because there are still bubbles coming out of the airlock. Bubbles are not a good indication that there is fermentation though - it can just be CO2 coming out of solution in the beer. That can be caused by a change of temperature or of air pressure. Sounds like it's probably close to done, so just take another reading tomorrow or the next day and if the reading's the same you can bottle.

Another thing I heard about ginger beer (and I don't know if this is right or not) is that the lower density of the liquid will cause the yeast to flocculate sooner than they otherwise might and hence the fermentation might take longer than it would if they were still noicely suspended.

Latest posts

Back