Fermentation Temps - Coopers Pure Brewers Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jez

Reaction score
Hi and happy New Year everyone,

I am looking for some advice re: the standard yeast supplied in the Coopers Ale kits.

2 days ago I had a go at my 5th brew - the Coopers Australian Pale ale kit, the one in the Green can. I used the standard yeast supplied being "Coopers Pure Brewers' Yeast" & added Coopers Brew Enhancer no.2 as recommended.

I pitched the yeast when the wort was 25 degrees and put my fermenter in my brewing fridge set at 18 degrees.

Over the next 2 days the wort temp decreased steadily & is currently sitting on 18 degrees.

I have since read that the temp range for this yeast is 18-28 degrees.

I'm not really that worried but is 18 degrees too low for this yeast to remain active? Will it just mean a longer fermentation?

Thanks for any help. Still new to brewing & would appreciate any help I can get.

Jez

Hi Jez

The fermentation will be slower at 18, but it will probably give you a better beer. At the higher temperatures you get undesirable esters formed. Once you have your procedure down pat with your brewing, then start looking at some of the liquid yeasts or the better dried yeasts. These yeasts will give you a better result than the one under the lid of the can.

Most homebrewers will gladly supply you a culture of liquid yeast if you need it.

Cheers
Pedro

Jez,
I'd like to add here that Coopers dried yeast has surprised me in the past, by producing as good a result as liquid Coopers yeast recultured from several bottles of Coopers Pale.
So, if ya lke the Coopers taste, use it, by all means. It's probably the best strain for that beer kit.
However, liquid yeast cultures will broaden your flavour horizons. Imagine the flavour of a German wheat beer, or a Czech lager, or a Belgian or Brit ale. Liquid yeast will take U there.
Happy Nu Year
Uncle Seth

Thanks guys.

As I mentioned this is my 5th brew and is the first with my new brewing fridge.

I've gotta say my first 4 brews were pretty ordinary so hopefully this one will be at least drinkable :D

I'm still a fair way off producing the flavours you mention Uncle Seth but hopefully I'll get there one day.......

Jez

Jez,
When the time is right, U will come to the liquid yeast.
This beer should be good. Let us know.
Sethule out

I've gotta say my first 4 brews were pretty ordinary so hopefully this one will be at least drinkable

A mate and I have been brewing for a little while now, and we've found that some of the kits you buy are just junk and taste bad, yet other brands/types brewed the same taste great.

I'd recommend trying a few different brands and types of beers & yeasts and you'll soon be sitting in your chair with a nice brew.

For those brews that taste a bit ordinary, we just keep throwing em back in the cupboard for another month and try them again - we've done that a few times and given time those ordinary beers can become a real treat.

I have beenbrewing with ale yeasts(liquid/dry) and have found all perform better at18/20 degrees.Flavas are much better.6 weeks in the bottle b4 drinking is much better to.2 weeks they are still a little sweet and green.try tucking a 6 pack away 4, 12 weeks and you will get a big surprise.

AAAAaaaaaaarrrgghhh ...Green Beer

Reminds me of a bloke who brews with white sugar and uses BiLo lager, sitting in the warm kitchen in summer fermenting at 30*c. Then drinks it at 2 weeks..

AND washes it down with VB.....

Jez,
18C for brewing Coopers draught and other ales is fine - it will take longer to finish out, but you will be rewarded with greater complexity to your beer. Lagers typically ferment at lower temps, especially if you use liquid yeast strains developed for Lagers - they typically like to ferment below 12C.
Have you got a hydrometer? You need to use that to indicate when the primary has finished - a non-bubbling airlock cannot be relied upon in the fridge. You may make some bottle bombs if you bottle out of the primary and keep the beer in a warmer environment, unless you are certain that you have reached a finishing gravity (around 1.010 'ish). :ph34r:

As others have already indicated, the kit yeast is pretty basic stuff and you will do a lot better if you can get your hands on some liquid yeast. Get your brew setup and techniques sorted out and then have a go at liquid yeasts - you will be glad you did. ;)

If your beer tastes crap, put it away and try again in a month or two - I nearly tossed out a ripper Bavarian Lager once :blink: 6 months later on and it was great! :D

Cheers,
TL

Thanks for the help everyone.

I think my biggest problem in the past has been that I'm brewing in my shed where the fermentation temp appeared to go from 30+ degrees in the daytime to 16 or less at night. Not really a recipe for a nice tasting beer.

Now I have my brewing fridge I'm able to set a stable 18 degrees so hopefully this brew will be nicer. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I was a very lucky boy & got 3 Grumpys mastervrews & a fresh wort kit for Christmas. I want to to get success with some simpler brews so I don't stuff these up when I do them ;)

...sorry about that, I'm so happy with Santa I have to skite about it :p

Jez

All of those brews will benefit from a pure yeast culture. If you have ESB pilsener wort, I have found that it suits Wyeast Bohemian (34/70, which you can get as dry yeast, now).
Santa wants you to save money, I sez.

Sethule out

Uncle Seth, methinks you've been speaking to Santa. The ESB Fresh Wort Pilsener Kit was exactly what I got!!

I'll take your advice with the Wyeast...only trouble is I've heard Wyeast is difficult to locate in Sydney. Seems White Labs has the whole city's liquid yeast market sown up....

Is that true?

Jez

Jez,

Dave at "Hop To It"(Botany Rd, Botany) has the wyeast series and white labs in stock.

Neil at "The Brew Shop" in Peakhurst also "USED" to stock Wyeast too

Thanks Linz,

I've been in to see Neil a few times as he's just down the road from me. I'll give him a call tomorrow.

If he don't have any I'll trek over to Botany.

Jez

Of course I have been talking to Santa. Didn't U see my previous avatar? Santa posed for it with a Coopers Pale Ale in hand.

I hear that Saf yeast can be obtained as W34/70 (equivalent to Wyeast Bohemian pilsener - one of the major Euro lager yeasts). Try that. It's easier, quicker and cheaper than liquid yeast, and close to exactly the same.
The equivalent yeasts are WLP830 German Lager and Yeast Labs L31 Pilsner, Weihenstephan 34/70 (Wyeast #2124).
Hope I have helped.
Seth

Yep, you certainly have.

Thanks Santa Seth :D

Jez

Back