Fermentation Temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo1234

Reaction score

Gents, I am getting ready to put down only my second batch of home brew and have a question about the fermentation temp.

I am going to brew a Becks Pilsner Style Beer Using a Morgans Candian Light extract can.

The can says to ferment at 22-30C but I have read on many forums about brewing at 15c odd for largers.

My first brew actually fermented up around 28C as I was not aware of the importance of getting the temp lower than the acceptable range and it basically tastes like a poor/watery XXXX Bitter... Doesn't taste off but not drinkable at the moment..It smelt awesome as it was fermenting strongly but the smell wasnt as good when it came to bottling time. It has been bottled for about 5 weeks now so I will leave for longer to see if it improves. The first Brew was a Morgans Blue Mountain Larger Extract Can.

I now have a fermentation fridge (given to me by my girlfriend for my birthday!) so will be able to control the temp easily.

Any suggestions or feedback wouldbe greatly appreciated!​

Provided you are using a lager style yeast it would be advisable to try to get the temp around 10-12deg for fermentation. If your using using dry yeast, it might also be advisable to pitch two sachets of yeast. Generally speaking lagers fermented at low temperatures require larger amounts of yeast, than ales fermented at ale temps.

If you do ferment at this temp. Once fermentation is complete or very nearly complete, raise the temp to approx 18deg for a day or two. This is known as a diacetyl (spellink!) rest.

Cheers SJ

Based on what he's said it'd be an ale yeast though - check on the yeast packet - it should say. If so you won't really want to go below 16 - which apparently gives some lager characteristics (I've never tried it, so don't know). If you don't have a second packet, just make a started from this one a couple of days before you brew. There's plenty of info on how to do it on the site.

PS - about your first brew. It will improve with age. I did the same with my first brew (the cooper's lager can), and nearly chucked it, but I'd already bottled a fair bit, so kept going and then just put it in the cellar and forgot about it. 6 months later I found it, and refrigerated some. It was fantastic! - well better than most bought draughts anyway.

Yeah it all depends on the yeast you're using. For the lager you're making get yourself a lager yeast (obviously) Then do a little searching to find out what temps is best for that yeast. Without knowing what yeast you have you can't know what temp to ferment at.

For example get a hold of some saflager S23 and ferment at 12C.

Cheers for the feedback gents.

I have checked the yeast and it is Strand 514 which is an ale tmep. I assume now I should brew around 20c?

What benefit will making a starter do for the brew? And will I get a better result by using a lager yeast?

I am trying to immitate a Becks.

ps.. Glade I joined this forum! I have learnt more in the last few days then I did in the month I researched home brewing before giving my first batch a go!

Given it's an ale yeast and you're trying to emulate a clean, hoppy lager - I would ferment at 18C for first week then pull it out of your fridge to finish for a few days at ambient. The lower the temp the 'cleaner' the yeast profile. You could try a lager yeast like S-23 at 10C but it would take heaps longer before your beer tasted any good. Try US-05, it's a great ale yeast that throws very little flavours, just a slight fruitiness. A lot of small breweries use it. Fermented at 18C it's a very clean ale yeast and you can be enjoying your brew after 2-3 weeks in bottle.

As for making a starter - maybe wait until you've done a few more brews and can GUARANTEE that your process is sanitary.

One last question (well maybe the last one!)

I have 12g of Cascade finishing hops to add to the 500gg Dextrose, 250g Corn Syrup Powder, 500g Light Malt.... I was told at the home brew shop to add the hops to a tea bag thing in boiling water and then addd to the wort prior to making to volume.... Is there any other way to do this or any tips with adding the hops?

I think I might stick to the Ale yeast provided as this is only my second batch and would love to get to the point where I can enjoy a bottle of my own brew... I still have hopes for my first batch but I don't think it will win any awards!

Back