Fermentation Stalled - Condensation But Hardly Any Foam?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gracebeey

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a fairly new homebrewer (only 3 brews under my belt). Going for my fourth one, and for the first time encountered 'unusual' situation.

Basically, I brewed on Sunday night, and as at today (Wednesday night) I still have not seen any activities on the airlock (no bubbles etc). On Monday and Tuesday the room smelled like beer, so I thought it was fine. It is on a heat pad the whole time (and covered with towel), and temperature hovers between 24-26 constantly.

When I check the brew, there is definitely condensation on the lid, however there is hardly any foam (compared to what it normally looks like).

On the confession box, I used a year-old Munton's Gold yeast, which have a 'best before' date of July 2010 (this month). I used it because I figured I better do it now before it goes off. Does this have anything to do with it?

If the brew is stalled, what can I do to salvage it (currently Day 3). Is it too late and I should bin the whole thing?

Thanks!

-G-

If you're not sure about the yeast viability then I'd pitch more yeast. The other thing I would do is lower that temperature to 18-20 maximum

Have you checked the gravity? Only way to know for sure. It looks like you've got as many reasons to suspect fermentation is occurring as reasons that it isn't.

Have you checked the gravity? Only way to know for sure. It looks like you've got as many reasons to suspect fermentation is occurring as reasons that it isn't.

Hi thanks for the suggestion. I just checked it then, and WTF, it stops at the black line (where it says '10'). I changed the beer used for the hydrometer twice (just in case it's the sediments in the bottom making it read funny), but it doesn't change. Now I'm very much confused. This is only Day 3, it shouldn't be there yet, should it? Or is there something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

-G-

It is on a heat pad the whole time (and covered with towel), and temperature hovers between 24-26 constantly.

This is probably too hot and may lead to fruitiness or fusel/solvent alcohol flavours in the beer. Try and drop subsequent brews to around 20. Lower than that is OK .

As for your problem - check the gravity, as mentioned. Hopefully you took a reading at the start for a point of comparison.

As for 'should I bin it?' - you only bin stuff when you KNOW it's wrecked - otherwise wait and see/taste.

Hotter ferment may have made it hit 1010 in 3 days. Better to ferment slower and longer. Leave it a few more days at a lower temperature and some of the flavours may get cleaned up by the yeast.

Your temps seems high enough to me that the yeast might chew through your fermentables pretty quickly but the lack of krausen does seem odd (though not unheard of).

It might be worth checking your hydrometer in 20 deg C water (or whatever temp your hydrometer is calibrated to) to see if your reading is accurate. Beer temp should be at 20 deg C if possible too - otherwise your hydrometer should have come with a chart that shows you how to adjust for temp.

In regard to fermenting temps, it is pretty widely regarded that the temperature range quoted on the tin instructions might not be ideal. Consider keeping you next ale at around 18 to 20 degrees and see if you prefer the difference this does make.

Hi gracebeey,

A higher temperature can ferment the beer faster. Where are you taking your 24-26degC measurement? a sample from the fermenter or external?

If it is external, the temperature within the fermenter will be warmer and you might have finished, or are coming closer to finishing faster than expected. Having said that, 24-26degC will give you a fairly fast ferment anyway.

The other thing, hydrometers are typically calibrated at 20degC (i think) so you may have to use a correction factor on your hydrometer reading if the temperature is not dead on this value.

Lodan

Edit: i am typing slow this evening!! :)

Thanks for the input all!

I think you all may be right - it could be a tad too high. I've now turned off the heat pad, and just cover it with towel to keep it a bit warmer than room temp (my room is probably about 10 degrees).

I guess there is not much I can do but to let it sit there until at least Sunday, when I will take another reading to see where it's at. I'm thinking that I will leave it in for two weeks (from brewing start, and if the hydro reading doesn't change after two days) no matter what.

In a slightly unrelated tangent: it's not infected is it? I don't want to find out after I bottle them....

Thanks again,

-G-

Shouldn't be infected, just a fast ferment. Good plan to leave it in the fermenter for another couple of weeks after finishing

What does it taste like?

Yeah, this is the real reason you'd start thinking infection. If it tastes proper yuck then it might be infected. If it just tastes like beer (or even bad beer( then there's no reason to be assuming infection just yet.

There's nothing in your descriptions thus far to suggest infection to me.

Shouldn't be infected, just a fast ferment. Good plan to leave it in the fermenter for another couple of weeks after finishing

mate, a familiar ring in my ears, last year I put down my first right on the first heatwave of summer and it did as yours has done (only I had a goodly krausen {foam} on mine)...
the result??? well I still have about 5 bottles and they are 'almost' drinkable now... :icon_vomit: ..almost...

if it doesnt taste that nice, dont be disheartened, read up some more and keep going man, im up to my 8th in now and planning my 9th.. my mates (and me in no small part) just polished off 4 and 5 in no time and all enjoyed the experiance.. it gets better each time!! :icon_drunk:

also if your room gets down to 10' maybe think about getting a timer for your heat pad and you will work out the optimum settings to keep it at a steady 18 - 20'c (more settings of a night and only a few in the day)

Good luck man
:icon_cheers:

Oh God I just checked my fermenter again and found the reason for the no airlock bubbling: THE LID WAS NOT ON TIGHT. It's screwed on, but not fully tight. This may explain the lack of bubbling - but still unsure about the lack of krausen.

Just tasted it too: tasted fine (for an unfermented beer I suppose). Though it's a lot of Galaxy :) I like it. At least I know it's not infected!

I hope the non-air-tight situation is not causing my beer harm. I feel like the biggest dolt in the world right now.

Please forget about airlock bubbling meaning anything. Lid not on tight is fine. Your ferment temps are far more of an issue than your airlock.

Latest posts

Back