Fermentation stalled at 1.030

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hathro

Reaction score
Hi folks,

So I brewed a 62 Black IPA and after two weeks it's stalled at 1.030 (OG was 1.077). I've roused the yeast, raised the temp to 20°C and done a fast ferment for 24 hours as shown (still 1.030). I also initally pitched two packs of US-05 yeast.

After this brew, I found out my thermometer dial had been moved and I'm not sure if it affected this brew. I'm assuming it could have resulted in a higher mash temp and less fermentables which would explain the situation.

I really want to bottle this brew so my options are:

1. Yes it is done, bottle it but in PET to be safe
  2. Keg it, bottle from keg later on
  3. Try something I haven't already?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 packs of US-05 should be plenty to get it down to target. So I'd be looking more at mash temps as having been at least a contributor to it finishing so high. Any idea of how far over you would have been? Might be worth while adding a satchet of dry enzyme to break it down a bit to let the yeast finish it down closer to target. Not exactly ideal, but it is a possible fix in those circumstances

Could you store it in a keg while you brew a very dry beer, then blend the 2 on a big bottling day? Not what you'd planned, but maybe an option.

Using a sachet of dry enzyme worked a treat! In fact it worked too well, the beer finished at 1.014. Time to keg!

Thanks for all your help HBHB. I tasted a sample and it's great.

Back