Fermentation seems to have stopped early

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloo62

Reaction score
Hi there - newby question.

The last two brews (1- While Rabbit style dark ale and 2- A Stout) started fermenting nicely at approx 22-24 degrees. Bubbled for 24-36 hours then it stopped. Temp still at 20-22 but no bubbles. Have taken a SG and it still comes in at 2020-2030. I left the first one for another 5 days at similar temps and no change to SG. I was told that it would continue to ferment even though there were no bubbles, but as the SG didn't change i am just wondering if there is a problem?

Any thoughts from the experienced brewers?

What's in the brews? I gredients, volume, etc?

What process?

What gravity measuring instrument?

How are you using it? Presumably you mean 1.020 - 1.030 or 1020 - 1030 (informally written). 2020 is way too high for even an OG.

Are you using S-04 yeast by any chance?

Stewy - i am using whatever yeast came under the lid - i am assuming that is a generic ale yeast?

Have another read of Manticles post & provide him with some answers, he's a very knowledgeable brewer & you'll learn a lot from what advice he has to offer.

Only guess i can give you is, could it have been the age or condition of the yeast? Kit yeast is not very reliable, i had a similar problem once, re-pitched some more yeast from a fresh kit and away it went…after that i never used kit yeasts again.

Latest posts

Back