Fermentation Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilkensone

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I picked up this little fridge cheap on the weekend hoping I could use it as a fermentation fridge, just hoping to get some advice from people here that have done this before.

This is the fridge
T6RMzA8.jpg

My FV doesn't fit in unfortunately, I thought I could just pull out the freezer tray but it seems that this is what cools the fridge. Are all the little pipes running along this used for cooling? Is it possible to bend this or should I just look to re-purpose it for something else?

z08Mzno.jpg

Thanks
Wilkens

The freezer section does the cooling.
Get something else.

I cut a little round slot in the front of my freezer plate of my little bar-fridge so the air-lock would just sit in. Make sure you don't hit any of the cooling pipes in the freezer plate as the magic gas will escape.

I have changed to using glad-wrap and the seal from the fermentor lid as a seal for my ferment vessel and it fits inside the bar-fridge easily now. No need to modification.

Anotehr option is to look at Bunnings/camping store for water barrels for alternative ferment vessels which may be shorter and stouter.

oh, I am assuming your ferment vessel doesn't fit height-wise. You don't actually state why it doesn't fit.

I bent the freezer out of the way on a dead fridge but probably wouldnt try it on a bought one holding gas.

Some people have managed to carefully bend the cooler box in order to fit in the FV. Be very careful, the less you work the metal the better to avoid it cracking or snapping and releasing refrigerant (will be the end of the fridge).

If you got this cheap, you probably have nothing to lose trying it. But be safe and use PPE etc!

Sorry, few guys beat me to it. I still think have a crack (pun not intended).

Wow thanks for the responses! Yeah it just fits width, but it is the height that is causing me problems.

uuXWTs6.jpg

This fits fine which I was thinking of using to nochill but I guess I could try make up a blowoff pipe or something to use it as FV.

I'm not that confident on bending the freezer section so if I can't find something else that will fit as a FV I may just use it as a normal fridge or something like that, only cost $20 so its not the end of the world =P.

Thanks everyone for the responses, I would ideally like to get a larger fridge/freezer style fridge but we will see :)

FWIW. My fermenting fridge is about the same size. I ferment in my 20L jerry and can fit two side by side on the shelf. ( just chock the shelf a bit more to hold the weight)

Its great being able to have two fermenting simultaneously. :beer:

I forgot to mention I had to butcher the door because my shelves were not removable without careful application of Dremel and cutting disc. :ph34r:

Yours looks the same where it has some removable shelves but then some moulded areas in the door skin. I would look at Bunnings/camp stores for alternate ferment vessels before butchering door.

Baulko Brewer said:
FWIW. My fermenting fridge is about the same size. I ferment in my 20L jerry and can fit two side by side on the shelf. ( just chock the shelf a bit more to hold the weight)

Its great being able to have two fermenting simultaneously. :beer:
Can I ask, do you use an airlock or gladwrap? Because it isn't much very big I would be worried about it overflowing?

Wilkensone said:
Can I ask, do you use an airlock or gladwrap? Because it isn't much very big I would be worried about it overflowing?
I glad wrap. I have had a couple of spillovers, but generally I have enough head space, that it isnt a regular occurance. (gives me an excuse to santise the inside again. Not a hard job but one that nered to be done). I only brew in a 30l birko, so I can just squeeze a keg size ferment. The jerry does hold 23l full though. (mine are willow)

Baulko Brewer said:
I glad wrap. I have had a couple of spillovers, but generally I have enough head space, that it isnt a regular occurance. (gives me an excuse to santise the inside again. Not a hard job but one that nered to be done). I only brew in a 30l birko, so I can just squeeze a keg size ferment. The jerry does hold 23l full though. (mine are willow)
So you are aiming for 19l final batch size? I've been researching buying an birko/crown a lot as the BIAB setup is all I can have space wise at the moment, I'm thinking I might just make some half batches for a little while as I'm new to brewing in general and then move to an urn when I'm a bit more experienced. That would also mean there is no issue with spillover if I am only filling say 10l in the fermenter which is okay for me at the moment. Just need to order a couple things from CB (stc1000 mainly) and I should be ready to go, thanks everyone!

Wilkensone said:
So you are aiming for 19l final batch size? I've been researching buying an birko/crown a lot as the BIAB setup is all I can have space wise at the moment, I'm thinking I might just make some half batches for a little while as I'm new to brewing in general and then move to an urn when I'm a bit more experienced. That would also mean there is no issue with spillover if I am only filling say 10l in the fermenter which is okay for me at the moment. Just need to order a couple things from CB (stc1000 mainly) and I should be ready to go, thanks everyone!
Yes thats correct. I get a keg + dregs out of each batch, so whilst I ferment around 20L. to the keg is more like 19l.

PM me if you would like photos etc

@ Wilkensone- how did you go with this?

Looking at the pics it seems as though your freezer tray might slide out... if that’s so, then you could slide it out and place it at the back of the fridge wall...

@ Wilkensone- how did you go with this?

Looking at the pics it seems as though your freezer tray might slide out... if that’s so, then you could slide it out and place it at the back of the fridge wall...

i reckon it wont slide out, they slot them in and braze at the back to the rest of the piping

it might pop out and maybe bend down but you run the risk of cracking the pipe and ruining it.

go with the jerry

Latest posts

Back