Fermentation Fridge - To Cold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_fuzz

Reaction score
Morning Boys,

When I got my Fridgemate in about October last year, I thought all my brewing/fermentation problems where over and that nothing could stop me. Fast forward to now.

I put down a "skunk Fart ale" on Saturday and it has been sitting in the fermentation fridge - however, the inside of the fridge is getting down to 12C at night time and hitting a high of 18C during the day. This is obviously causing issues with my yeast

So, I never thought I would say this, but how to people keep their wort warm but still utilise the fridgemate?

Or do people get a 2nd fridgemate and a heating pad?

I have a similar problem. I have only just began getting some good use of my fridgemate in a barfridge that holds my 30l fermenter nicely with only a little airspace around it. Mine only drops to around 15 degrees overnight at the moment, though with the sudden temp drops of late I am expecting it to get lower pretty soon. I guess this means it's lager time? I posted a question recently (last day or so) re brew belts and the fridgemate. The responses so far have given me some confidence that before too long I can set the fridgemate to the heating setting and strap on the brew belt for some more ale action. It's this in-between time and temp that is giving me a little grief. For this reason I have put on a Coopers Pilsener and used the kit yeast (cue snickering) I know it won't be great but I think it can take a fair range of temp - from 13 degrees upwards. Im only a newb K&Ker so I think this will get me through for a little while til I get the belt out.

I just put one of those 25W heater pads in the fridge, and set the Fridgemate to keep it at say, 18C. I find that in winter the fridge does not turn on very much.

Another option is to get one of those temperature controlled immersible heater elements. Keeps the temperature very stable I have found. Works great in winter and keeps your fridge free for lagers. :)

You're no pioneer in this regard.

I have a temperature controller and a room heater that I use to maintain the right temperature in a small room and either ferment in the room or (if I want a lower temp again) inside my fridge inside the temperature controlled room. Thirsty Boy does it differently again and describes it in the following thread:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=21814

His is a bit more set and forget than mine, but mine is... well... mine.

I try to do Seasonal brewing :D

You need to more organised, but it is worth the effort, more energy efficient and your beers get the maturation they deserve.

Brew Ales when it is warmer and Lagers when it is cooler.

I've just a got a cheap electric blanket folded up under my fermenter in the fridge, leave it on low and it stays at about 17-18, compressor hasn't kicked in for about three days i think ;)

You're no pioneer in this regard.

I have a temperature controller and a room heater that I use to maintain the right temperature in a small room and either ferment in the room or (if I want a lower temp again) inside my fridge inside the temperature controlled room. Thirsty Boy does it differently again and describes it in the following thread:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=21814

His is a bit more set and forget than mine, but mine is... well... mine.

Cool, a brew room. Definitely no pioneer, after seeing some of the set-ups in my brew club, but the low-tech way works for me. I have a friend with a cellar that keeps a constant temperature of 11C in winter and 18C in summer. A crime for him not to use it! After some convincing, he put down his first AG a few weeks ago.

Winter did pose this problem for me as well when fermenting ale but this method of sitting the fermenter in a tub of water using a fish tank heater to maintain temp has been working OK.

gallery_1544_221_14704.jpg

Latest posts

Back