Fermentation Fridge - Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntboozer

Reaction score
All,
I'm setting this small (150lt) bar fridge up as a fermentation fridge. To enable the fermenter to fit I need to modify the fridge.
These are my choices:

Fermenter sits on base of fridge
a.Remove inner door skin completley and replace with piece of perspex.
b.Cut the shelf areas away on the door skin (and leave unsightly mess).

Install shelf as low as possible (clears door skin and fermenter) above base
c.Bend freezer/fridge element??? back flush against back of fridge compartment.

FermFridge.jpg

What are your thoughts?

cheers
nt
:beer:

Hi NT

Don't want to rain on your parade but considering the climate in which you live and the size of this fridge - you would do better looking for an old Tuckerbox type freezer. Your small fridge with its small compressor will have to work pretty hard to pull any sort of decent lager temperature (down to 2 deg.c.) and even getting 23 lts down to 12.c will be an affort. Even if you are only going to use it for ales it is quite likely that in the process of getting your little puppy to take the fermenter with airlock, that you are going to stuff what may be a perfectly good bar fridge. Just my opinion but I would hate to see you go through all that reconstruction drama and be very dissatisfied with the result.

Hogan.

If the element does not give enough height for bottles to secondary ferment then definately lose that so you have enough space to store bottles on the base, fermenter sits on shef above bottles, shelf above fermenter has more bottles, door has bottles = lots of fermenting beer
java script:emoticon(':chug:') I have this setup at home with much success. Note if the shelf ruptures then refrigerant/ lubricant will leak out and possibly make the world a hotter place :-(
Have fun !
Doogiechap
ntboozer said:
All,
I'm setting this small (150lt) bar fridge up as a fermentation fridge. To enable the fermenter to fit I need to modify the fridge.
These are my choices:

Fermenter sits on base of fridge
a.Remove inner door skin completley and replace with piece of perspex.
b.Cut the shelf areas away on the door skin (and leave unsightly mess).

Install shelf as low as possible (clears door skin and fermenter) above base
c.Bend freezer/fridge element??? back flush against back of fridge compartment.

View attachment 4899

What are your thoughts?

cheers
nt
[post="92523"][/post]​
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i have one of these that i use for ccing ive got to be careful with the settings cause anything above 4 will freeze the contents but not commercial beer

Go for option C. Just for space requirements. It couldnt be any worse that fermenting in a thermoelectric wine fridge which by the way works extremely well Linkster

cheers JJ

Believe Bindi Bob has a mod for this type of fridge. Involves folding the freezer compartment away some how. His PC has crashed and he may be off the air for a couple of days, but will PM him in any case and ask him to look at this thread. Maybe he could post some pics and description.

My apologies all, the original post lacked some detail.
This fridge - (works well (90+ cans/stubbies from ambient (35-36C) to cold (2.7C Engel digital thermometer held for days between drinks) many time on the back patio)) - will be used for primary only. My plan is for ales only at a set temp. of 22C (via an ADLO controller that is still in the possession of Aust. Post - here's cheers :chug: to Darwin post/freight turnaround times). I have a second fridge (197lt fridge/freezer) that is being checked/regassed at the moment. If all is OK it will become the cooler for my secondary at 22C via the second ADLO controller (that is still in the post somewhere :angry: ).

This may all change with the advent of wortgames SS fermenter - the near future may bring a change to the size of fermentation fridges - damn new shiney SS toys :beerbang:.

All my brews go into kegs that are stored in the second bathroom (aka brew room) for about a month to mature??? (problem is ambient temp is approx. 28C, don't know the effect on the brew though) before making it to the keg fridge - ahhhh 5C :beer: .
I'm leaning towards carefully bending the elemet/cooling plate??? back to achieve the space I need, as opposed to butchering the door skin.

'Screwtop' just read your post. Thanks for the advice. I'll look forward to any replies from Bindi Bob.

nt

ever closer to AG. Pics
soon - any idea when the Gallery will be up an' running???

Hi NT,

I have a fridge with the exact same set up for fermenting in (abeit mine is somewhat uglier than yours).

I have wondered about folding down the cooling element. It might possibly work, but I can't be certain so I haven't tried it. As you know you need to bend it down around 90*. Up to you if you try.

I ended up removing the shelves from the door, not cutting them out though. If you fold back the magnetic strip you can gain access to the screws that hold the door shelves on-note they also hold the magnetic strip on.

I removed these screws and the shelves and then just used the screws to hold the magnetic strip on. I thought I'd need to do some sort of strip or perspex sheet to get a good seal on the magnetic strip and hold it in there properly but it ended up working well. There is a foam insulation underneath the shelves and I haven't worried about sealing it from moisture as it doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

I'd try removing the door shelves first, see how that goes then worry about other options next. This is the only really reversable, non-permanent option so try this first.

FWIW my fridge will get down to -12C if I let it.

Cheers, Justin

I'd try removing the door shelves first, see how that goes then worry about other options next. This is the only really reversable, non-permanent option so try this first.

I totally agree with Justin on this, its not that hard to do and can be reversed.

While we are on the topic of fridge fermenters, if anyone in the Brisbane area has a fridge with no freezer compartment that can hold 2 fermenters I will be happy to take it off your hands :D

Have you ever thought of a large esky. Or even better look in the phone book under Cool rooms. Get a qoute for them to build you a box remembering to seal it. Have a lid mounted etc.
Place fermintor in it fill with water. Water will not change in temp greatly over time. A couple of large ice blocks ever morning will maintane temps.

What a kick ass esky when you go away camping

Justin said:
Hi NT,

I have a fridge with the exact same set up for fermenting in (abeit mine is somewhat uglier than yours).
I have wondered about folding down the cooling element. It might possibly work, but I can't be certain so I haven't tried it. As you know you need to bend it down around 90*. Up to you if you try.
I ended up removing the shelves from the door, not cutting them out though. If you fold back the magnetic strip you can gain access to the screws that hold the door shelves on-note they also hold the magnetic strip on.
I removed these screws and the shelves and then just used the screws to hold the magnetic strip on. I thought I'd need to do some sort of strip or perspex sheet to get a good seal on the magnetic strip and hold it in there properly but it ended up working well. There is a foam insulation underneath the shelves and I haven't worried about sealing it from moisture as it doesn't seem to be an issue for me.
FWIW my fridge will get down to -12C if I let it.
Cheers, Justin
[post="92632"][/post]​

Justin,
Thanks for the tip mate :beerbang:
Problem with this little baby of mine is the inner door skin isn't screwed on, it is 'plastic spot welded' (if that is correct terminology) so to remove it will involve prying the skin away from the foam insulation then adding some form of flat 'replacement skin' to secure the door seal.
It may just end up easier (although more expensive) to get my hands on a larger 'fridge only' unit that will fit 2 standard fermenters or one of wortgames nice new shiney SS :wub: conicals.

nt

Latest posts

Back