Feral Hop Hog

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain_cremen

Reaction score
I've kindly grabbed a recipe from one of the guys here on the forum..

Absolutely no idea how it will turn out but this is what I've followed

INGREDIENTS
1.5kg Coopers Light Malt tin
1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt tin
700g Light Dry Malt
150g Crystal grains steeped
60g Centennial
60g Citra
30g Galaxy
US-05

Additional Dry Hops

15g citra
15g centennial
20g galaxy

METHOD
1. Steep cracked Medium Crystal Grain for 30mins in 1.5L of 70C water
2. Add grain liquid to a bigger pot, top it up to 6L and mixed in 700g Light DME. Bring to the boil and add the following hop additions.

10g galaxy @ 60 mins
20g centennial @ 10 mins
20g citra @ 10 mins
10g galaxy @ 10 mins
20g centennial @ 5 mins
20g citra @ 5 mins
10g galaxy @ 5 mins

Recipe says to dry hop on day 8 ..
suggestions on the best hop to give me the passionfruit aroma guys???

Also, what does crashing do? im gonna bring it down to 3 deg on day 12, bottling on day 14 if FG is stable

-Matt

Looks like a fine recipe to me. Maybe even better than the original. Hop Hog is a nice beer, but giving it that tad more malt flavour should work really well IMHO.

Edit- The biggest passion fruit bomb i've had came from a mix of galaxy and mosaic .

I think you are best testing your gravity to see if its stable before you chill it to 3 degrees. Once its at 3 degrees it will stay stable because you have reduced the temperature below the working range for your yeast and if you bottle it at that stage you will end up with bottle bombs if your bottles warm up.

danestead said:
I think you are best testing your gravity to see if its stable before you chill it to 3 degrees. Once its at 3 degrees it will stay stable because you have reduced the temperature below the working range for your yeast and if you bottle it at that stage you will end up with bottle bombs if your bottles warm up.
Good point.. thanks mate. so don't crash til its basically ready to bottle after steady Fg for a few days..

-Matt

wereprawn said:
Looks like a fine recipe to me. Maybe even better than the original. Hop Hog is a nice beer, but giving it that tad more malt flavour should work really well IMHO.

Edit- The biggest passion fruit bomb i've had came from a mix of galaxy and mosaic .
i hope so mate. cost a bit for ingredients. hop hog is my
fave beer atm.. i hope the extra
malt helps hold the bitterness together well..

how long so you usually need to bottle age an ipa?

-Matt

Hop Hog isn't really an IPA. I'd stick to your normal routine of bottle conditioning and see how you like it when its time to crack one.

captain_cremen said:
Good point.. thanks mate. so don't crash til its basically ready to bottle after steady Fg for a few days..

-Matt
Thread linked below talks but galaxy and how to get the most out of when to dry hop vs cold crash.
Theres heaps of info on Cold Crashing here but personally once my beers has hit a stable gravity for a few days I crash for a good week and dry hop for the crash period. taste taste and taste.

Galaxy Dry Hopping - How much is too much?

captain_cremen said:
i hope so mate. cost a bit for ingredients. hop hog is my
fave beer atm.. i hope the extra
malt helps hold the bitterness together well..
how long so you usually need to bottle age an ipa?
-Matt
drink it whilst the hops are fresh!

the smell is so good. only 3 days in and it smells like passionfruit. my OG wS 1052, hoping its about 6.2 % lads!

-Matt

wereprawn said:
Hop Hog isn't really an IPA. I'd stick to your normal routine of bottle conditioning and see how you like it when its time to crack one.
says ipa on the bottle.. its not as full on but bloody good.

you tried the big eye ipa? holy shit!

-Matt

Big Eye is an west coast IPA. Hop Hog's More in a Strong APA. lovely though.

guys.. is it normal for the beer to be extremely bitter first 4-6 days? been testing it with the hydrometer.. holycrap it's bitter

-Matt

Charst said:
Thread linked below talks but galaxy and how to get the most out of when to dry hop vs cold crash.
Theres heaps of info on Cold Crashing here but personally once my beers has hit a stable gravity for a few days I crash for a good week and dry hop for the crash period. taste taste and taste.

Galaxy Dry Hopping - How much is too much?
does crashing simply clear up the beer and speed up the settling process before bottling or does crashing actually assist in the flavour aspect too?

love the dry hop link you gave me. cheers bud

-Matt

captain_cremen said:
guys.. is it normal for the beer to be extremely bitter first 4-6 days? been testing it with the hydrometer.. holycrap it's bitter

-Matt
I'd definitely not stress about tastes like bitterness that early in. Good that you're tasting it as it progresses but don't worry about things that seem like they could mellow out, the yeast should scrub off some of that bitterness. Also that's another reason I leave my beers in the primary for almost 3 weeks before testing gravity, give the yeast time to clean up some flavours be it off or just harsh.

Nizmoose said:
I'd definitely not stress about tastes like bitterness that early in. Good that you're tasting it as it progresses but don't worry about things that seem like they could mellow out, the yeast should scrub off some of that bitterness. Also that's another reason I leave my beers in the primary for almost 3 weeks before testing gravity, give the yeast time to clean up some flavours be it off or just harsh.

Cheers mate. I'm going to leave it in primary for 3 weeks, crash it for 3 days also.

its day 7 now, just had a little taste and the bitterness has dropped alot, though so has the aroma, i dont want more citrus, i want more passionfruit.. reckon 20g centennial 20g galaxy on the dry hop?? not sure how hard i should go.. dont wanna put too much in

-Matt

captain_cremen said:
Cheers mate. I'm going to leave it in primary for 3 weeks, crash it for 3 days also.

its day 7 now, just had a little taste and the bitterness has dropped alot, though so has the aroma, i dont want more citrus, i want more passionfruit.. reckon 20g centennial 20g galaxy on the dry hop?? not sure how hard i should go.. dont wanna put too much in

-Matt
Haven't had any experience with centennial dry hop but galaxy is great make sure you don't go past 4 days with galaxy though or you'll get grassy notes, 20g of galaxy dry hopped for 4 days before you bottle will definitely give you some good aroma!

Nizmoose said:
Haven't had any experience with centennial dry hop but galaxy is great make sure you don't go past 4 days with galaxy though or you'll get grassy notes, 20g of galaxy dry hopped for 4 days before you bottle will definitely give you some good aroma!
went 10 citra, 20 centennial, 20 galaxy

this beer is going to be good i think

-Matt

captain_cremen said:
went 10 citra, 20 centennial, 20 galaxy

this beer is going to be good i think

-Matt
Haha I agree! You've done well there I think, let us know how it turns out! I'm yet to try centennial late and citra at all

Latest posts

Back