Feed in tariffs Victoria

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wide eyed and legless said:
Thinking logically, I can't imagine a team of energy company operators sitting there watching out for any jumps in feed in, for instance a clear day will produce more output than a cloudy day, meaning that figures would have to be cross checked with the weather.
Probably true, no one watching, but being in IT, I can easily imagine that their data warehouse would be running queries to alert managers to big drops/spikes in usage/feed-in when no change to the underlying registered solar system has been applied. If not, their IT department is crap.......

they know exactly the size of your solar system and it's generation capability it's all recorded when you join so any increase in output will be noticed and i don't think they will pay you any more than they have to, i know i wouldn't

edit fat fingers

If its anything like the ATO'S IT department it could be possible to get away with it, (Hope you don't work for them)
I did read of a guy in Queensland who got caught but I don't know how, and because at the present time my electricity feed in is subsidised by the taxpayer it is not only the feeling of guilt, but how hard the government comes down on someone trying to rort the system.
As you suggested in your earlier post fraser_john not to have any commercial power fed into your next property, the technology and the costs of being self sufficient in power usage are here and can only get cheaper.
The Queensland power companies want rid of the feed in tariffs altogether and each state is expected to follow suit, so if anyone is thinking of going solar, don't faff around with a small system make it a good one and get the lithium batteries when they become cheaper.

Checked these out today http://www.cfcl.com.au/Assets/Files/Gennex_Brochure_(EN)_Apr-2010.pdf
$33,000 plus installation, no government subsidy, nothing for excess electricity being fed into grid and no batteries for storing electricity, but they are working on it. Strange situation they told me they are not keen on selling them in Australia, more for export market, yet they import them from Germany, they told me they were the only company in Australia who were selling them and they only run on natural gas.
The TV show I saw had theirs running on natural gas or LPG and an 8.5 Kg bottle would provide an average household with enough electricity for 2 weeks.
Also asked my brother about hacking in to the smart meters and yes you can.

Checked these out today http://www.cfcl.com.au/Assets/Files/Gennex_Brochure_(EN)_Apr-2010.pdf
$33,000 plus installation, no government subsidy, nothing for excess electricity being fed into grid and no batteries for storing electricity, but they are working on it. Strange situation they told me they are not keen on selling them in Australia, more for export market, yet they import them from Germany, they told me they were the only company in Australia who were selling them and they only run on natural gas.
The TV show I saw had theirs running on natural gas or LPG and an 8.5 Kg bottle would provide an average household with enough electricity for 2 weeks.
Yeah from what I had researched very possible, but just getting the bits together and knowing what registers to slowly modify....

I looked at them a few years ago and they looked great (but the government wasn't going to assist back then and still looks the same) there just around the corner from us (well were in noble park not too sure if they still are)

Does anyone know how the feed in tariff is set and how the price is regulated?
I had a 4 kw system installed about 5 or 6 years ago, I am on a premium feed in rate of 66 cents per kw hour but have noticed that my credits are getting smaller.
I have enquired about increasing the panels to a 8 kw system but was told if I increase my output that I will lose my 66 cents premium feed in rate (which is set to 2024) and the new rate for Victoria is only 6.2 cents/kw hour and to be reviewed again in 2016.
Rather than try to increase the $ you're getting, on an already excellent (grandfathered) rate, why not look at why your feed-in is decreasing?

Have you tried cleaning the panels recently? I heard that build up of dirt/grime will affect the efficiency of the panels on your roof. Depending on whether you're one or two stories, might be worth getting up there with a sponge and bucket of soapy water.

Yes have got to give the panels a clean never have been cleaned as yet, I have read conflicting reports about whether to clean or not, some say that the dirt absorbs the heat but I will give them a clean and see if it does make a difference.
mxd, they are still there on Browns road but the other company whose system runs off both LPG and natural gas their systems was
$25,000.

Back