Fed Square Micro Brew Showcase

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no Grand Ridge Gippsland Diacetyl beer being served?

bugger i couldnt go. sounds like there was a few beers i would have liked and havenbt tasted yet.

no Grand Ridge Gippsland Diacetyl beer being served?

bugger i couldnt go. sounds like there was a few beers i would have liked and havenbt tasted yet.
I went to their table 3 times and each time the person in front of me was getting the Gold.

I went to their table 3 times and each time the person in front of me was getting the Gold.

unless you love werthers original, their wheat is the only thing worth drinking. I'll have one of the diacetyl range and thats enough for me. I'f i wanted some buttered toast, i'd go make some at home.

It hurts me to say this (because I've been burned too many times) but I did really enjoy their Moonshine Dark Scotch Ale. Of course I am only now starting to warm up to these darker beers so it could very well be far from a good example.

It hurts me to say this (because I've been burned too many times) but I did really enjoy their Moonshine Dark Scotch Ale. Of course I am only now starting to warm up to these darker beers so it could very well be far from a good example.

Dont let haysie hear you say that. Watching him cringe on every sip (maple too) at beerfest was a funny sight to see.

I'll see if I feel that same after I try one obtained through normal channels and one not direct from the brewery.

No apology needed bum.

The brewer told me he had batches of the Bright Lager that were 7 weeks old and clearer, but he was saving them for other events that were coming up, so brought the relatively green 4 week old batch...I don't filter any of my beers, but they are all clearer than that!

Dont let haysie hear you say that. Watching him cringe on every sip (maple too) at beerfest was a funny sight to see.

I'll see if I feel that same after I try one obtained through normal channels and one not direct from the brewery.
OMG that beer was bad. Not big on sweets or dessert type things, and this could have been poured over ice-cream to sweeten it up...urrgghh, I hate butterscotch. And that was at the brewery, doesn't get more direct than that.

Hmmm...I really didn't get any diacetyl from it. Would have had about 10 already by this point so maybe I missed it due to a bit of palate fatigue?

Or maybe the brewery has finally started listening to what everyone says?

Will definitely try to seek out a bottle and see if I change my mind.

The brewer told me he had batches of the Bright Lager that were 7 weeks old and clearer, but he was saving them for other events that were coming up, so brought the relatively green 4 week old batch...I don't filter any of my beers, but they are all clearer than that!

Doesnt help if they are keg conditioned, transportaion is a bitch for stirring up sediment.

Agree with the comments on the Bright Brewery beer - the nose on one of them wasn't great. It was very hot in the atrium last night and hot during the day so this could have played a factor. Bridge Road I didn't even get to try as they were having issues with their keg gear which was a shame.

Like I said previously my comments weren't put out there to diss brewers like Sam Fuss as I really enjoyed the Red Truck, just disappointed with the Summer Ale. A guy with me was doing the BJCP course and another has already done it, and they are way more experienced than myself. They confirmed the butterscotch flaw. No biggie, and I didn't drink all the True South beers, only 3 (Red Truck, Dark Ale, and Summer). So can't comment on all and my opinion on the earlier post should be taken in that context. The other two I had were without issue.

As I pointed out, these start up breweries sometimes have to find their feet just like a new AG brewer does, and this takes time. Big improvers were Arctic Fox and Prickly Moses. I had all but written these guys off at the last showcase after disappointing beers but both are putting out some very good new brews.

On the subject of Grand Ridge, I agree with some of the posts about their brewery's issues (re: diacetyl) after going to the Brewery for Beerfest. But don't write them all off. Yes the Gippy Gold has been a shocker of late, but the Moonlight (their old Nut Brown Ale with reduced alcohol) I have drunk on several occasions and it is great. Also had it up there and most there thought it was a goodie.

I guess all we can take from this is that the commercial guys can encounter similar sort of issues in the brewroom as we all do.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Hopper.

2 questions please,

The TUCKER? is it any good or should it be avoided? The good wife is in tow.

Does the good wife have to pay for tasting`s albeit she wont want them?
Thanks

2 questions please,

Thanks

I saw the food and decided not to partake. Didn't have time anyway.

Your missus can get in without a tasting ticket. I asked and they were cool with my SWMBO coming in free.

2 questions please,

Thanks

$5 meal voucher gets you a gourmet sausage in a bun or a bocastle pie. Thai Chicken was good, mate had the lamb & veg. Pretty much the best pies you can get in Vic. But the food is not the main attraction really! ;)

Saw a heavily pregnant woman without a tasting glass last night. Reckon she didn't pay. But the girls on the counter have a bit of a 'door wench' attitude so you might be pushing it uphill. But try it on. - Edit - Bum says it's cool so it is - you're clear then!

Enjoy!

Hopper.

Cheers guys, On my way>>>>>>

$5 meal voucher gets you a gourmet sausage in a bun or a bocastle pie. Thai Chicken was good, mate had the lamb & veg. Pretty much the best pies you can get in Vic. But the food is not the main attraction really! ;)
I had the 'special' Guinness-pie and it went down quite well, however my son said it was exactly the same (even down to the green sprinkles ontop) as what he buys in the Supermarket where he works.
As well as the sausages at the front and pies in the middle, there was also Lasagna being served at the table outside Beer DeLuxe.

Unfortunately work beckoned till just now lads, so I won't make it...

Enjoy the beers for me!

If Tooborac's Pale Ale isn't infected it may as well be. Actually heard the brewer tell someone he didn't like it anymore.
Tooborac Stomemasons Pale Ale - Tipped it - possibly infected.
You've piqued my curiosity on this beer. I'll pop down tonight and see if I can identify a fault, or infection.
No affil, just curious.

reVox
Alright, just in and Tooborac's Stonemasons Pale was not infected. If I had to nitpick, and bearing in mind I'm applying hyper-critical attention, it had a touch of diacetyl in mouth-feel reflected in slickness at head and surface appearance. I did not pick up atypical butterscotch, etc. in aroma or flavour, fwiw. And, as point of mention, I swapped my glass at the entrance for a freshie before trying the beer, specifically with this reply in mind.

That aside, it's a very pedestrian pale. No more, no less.

bum, you might have had a bad keg, lines were fouled, who knows? It's not far-fetched to think someone from Tooborac hit this thread late last night and swapped kegs for tonight's tasting. Like brewing, multiple-variables are at play and what you tasted last night (or the bottle before me as we stand in line at the next stall over) could be a totally different experience. And then you get into interpretation of flavours, sensitivity, experience, etc. but anyway, I'll stand on record as emphatically stating their beer was not infected@ approx. 7:15PM 18.03 :)

I dug the Coldstream elderflower summer ale just because it was something different. The elderflower only came in at finishing and wasn't overly floral or spicy. It was interesting.

Fosters Alpha Pale unfiltered had everything going for it.. bitey, chewey, hoppy ugly goodness in the glass. Head was awesome from ridiculously high resins.

And sorry folks, the Arctic Fox APA suxors. This isn't their redeeming beer. Too much calcium.. Initial flavour was on par with APA, to a wall of salt which hit a 5 to 10 second plateau (and felt like 30), to pure bitterness. It's fine the beer has dimension and hey, the salt puts it outside of the pack. It doesn't hit a mark, and if all you remember is a wall of bitterness, so be it. The beer waffles all over the place. Not exemplary of a showcase beer.

Interested to hear your take fourstar.

Cheers
reVox

Latest posts

Back