Favourite Pub Meals

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotsdalebrewery

Reaction score
Do you have a favourite pub meal? I am aways up for a decent Parmy. The Best Parmy I had was at Wild Oscars on Swan St in Richmond on the way to the footy. The bonus was the had the nicest Coopers on tap!

No affiliation!

I think anyone that goes to a pub for a meal must have a parmy... if not I think the next best thing would have to be Banga's and mash or just a bowl of chips.... That is of course if you are eating. Because we all know that

EATING IS CHEATING!!!

Cheers

HK

Thick steak with mash and pepper gravy.... nothing better

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING beats a fat "Bulls Bollocks" schnitty from the Earl of Leicester at Kent Town (Adelaide).

A massive chicken schnitzel the size of a large pizza topped with parmagiana sauce, craploads of cheese, ham and salami. And then you lift the thing up to reveal a nice pile of chips. :super:

Always goes down well with a nice frothy.

Pity it's always full of senior citizens (no offence to any rockin seniors out there :) )

Last week enjoyed a large serve of fish and chips washed down with a pint of Colonial brewing company(margaret river) Kolsch at the famous Clancys fish pub in Fremantle.Now that was real nice.

Cheers
Big D

A gotta tell TRUE STORY! Lived at the Queenslander Hotel in Goondiwindi for a short while in 1980. Mrs Ziebarth ran the pub and used to give a start to girls who did a barmaid course in Brisbane where they learnt to pour soapy water from kegs. They were then thrown on a bus for the 5hr trip to Goondi where they received free board in return for live training. Mind you it could be really live in a western QLD town at shearing time, but that's another story. Chap comes into the bar at lunch time and asks newb barmaid for a Mixed Grill. She wandered around for a while looking for someone behind the bar with some experience, nobody available she returned asking him "DO YOU WANT THAT IN A SEVEN OUNCE GLASS" :D :D

Sounds like he should've asked for the "rack" of lamb or the rump... B)

NOTHING beats a fat "Bulls Bollocks" schnitty from the Earl of Leicester at Kent Town (Adelaide).
too right! :beer: i've seen big fat bastards shrink in fear over their schnitties! :lol:
hard to find - the indian cab driver will ask you for directions <_< , but TOP range of Belgian beers as well :beerbang:
the front bar meals are overly plentiful for you gorge and purgers, but the swanky eatery does some really nice dishes as well.

i reckon there's a chop in every pint of decent ale and mixed grill in every pint of decent stout.

I weigh in at a measly 65kg too! Well, nearly 70 after a visit to the earl :beerbang:

Haven't been there for a few years but The last drop in Kalamunda WA used to do nice dishes like beef and guinness pie that were not too big and not too pricey. They have boutique beers on tap since the mid 80's and bloody good ones like thunder storm lager and I'm an ale man. Most pubs lately have gone down the American path of giving you half a cow on plate with a few acres of chips which is to much when you are drinking. Aussie counter meals in the 80's were spot on for size and price!

some of the SA pubs are still in the 80's, some even in the 70's, only the price of beer and ciggys has changed.

edit - and that's the way, uhuh uhuh i like it uhuh uhuh. Feck the pokies!

Haven't been there for a few years but The last drop in Kalamunda WA used to do nice dishes like beef and guinness pie that were not too big and not too pricey. They have boutique beers on tap since the mid 80's and bloody good ones like thunder storm lager and I'm an ale man. Most pubs lately have gone down the American path of giving you half a cow on plate with a few acres of chips which is to much when you are drinking. Aussie counter meals in the 80's were spot on for size and price!

They are still knocking out some tip top meals at a reasonable price. A colleague introduced me to The Elizabethan in Kelmscott which is part of the Darling Range Brewery chain and we had a great meal and some tastey house brews(The bavarian wheat was a cracker). I had the reef n beef and it was served with a creamy garlic sauce, chips n salad($22). It was magnificent(Tender juicy steak and firm prawns, crunchy chips with a fluffy centre).

Cheers
chilla(Drooling over his keyboard thinking about pub food rather than work...)

Every second Friday (pay week). Lunch = Steak, chips n salad at the Old Canberra Inn and a couple of schooners of Kent Old Brown Ale. Sensational. Sets you up for the weekend.
Cheers
Steve

Rack of ribs+chips+salad.

Burger + chips

Steak + chips.

Rack of ribs+chips+salad.

Burger + chips

Steak + chips.
...and then dessert and some beer.

And they call mine a "beer belly". Don't think so.

Seth :beerbang: :p

BTW, I prefer bangers & mash with Worcestershire gravy, or Chicken Parmigiana, or maybe a decent 'roo steak (where available), but will settle for rump and pepper sauce or the good old "surf 'n' turf". Testify!

My favourite all time pub meal was at a pub at South West Rocks (We were staying towards Trial Bay) in NSW. The pub (Looking straight out to sea under some enormous Norfolk Pines) had an absolutely huge menu. Had to queue for service.

Well I had this mountain of mash with three full-on Lamb shanks on top and some delicious deep brown rich gravy. Probably only had standard beer, but then its the meal I remember.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :rolleyes:

A dodgy $5 Steak n mash with pepper sauce at Scruffy Murphy's is always a bit of a gamble, but washed down with a guinness it makes for a relaxing arvo back at work! :p

Fish n chips or salt n pepper squid is always a winner on a sunny day in a beer garden too. B)

Latest posts

Back