Favourite Brew Related Podcast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favourite brew related podcast? POLL

• OZ Craftbrewer Radio

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jamils Show (The Brewing Network)

• Brewium Radio

• Basic Brewing Radio

• Brew Crazy

• Craft Brew Cast

• Craft Beer Radio

• Brew Bubbas

• Sunday Session (The Brewing Network)

• Other? (please specify)

• Total voters

capretta

Reaction score
Hey All!
As a wage slave with a minimum of 2 hours commuting in the car a day, i am a podcast devouring machine. And what better podcasts to listen to but brewing ones! In my early days they were a limitless source of information and inspiration.

So, what i am asking is which is your favourite podcast currently?

If the answer is not an easy one please post on why.. ;)

Basic Brewing is easily my fave as it's no nonsense or over the top.
In saying that I do listen to almost everything else on the list as well but am running out of backlog's now and have to actually wait for new eps!

I don't listen to the brewing network much though as it seems very over the top, I enjoy more easy and relaxing conversations not so exciting!
Yeah boring hey! :p

4 months ago i would have said Jamils show but the constant ads, self promotion, lack of content, and poor delivery have spoiled it for me... so

I still love listening to basic brewing radio for the easy relaxed format, James' voice and self depreciating humour, Golf tournament intro music, and of course the content.

I will say i am also a big fan of Brewium radio as well, there have been some excellent episodes, and graham sanders on oz craftbrewer is great for an aussie perspective and an example of limitless passion for brewing.
B)

4 months ago i would have said Jamils show but the constant ads, self promotion, lack of content, and poor delivery have spoiled it for me... so

I still love listening to basic brewing radio for the easy relaxed format, James' voice and self depreciating humour, Golf tournament intro music, and of course the content.

I will say i am also a big fan of Brewium radio as well, there have been some excellent episodes, and graham sanders on oz craftbrewer is great for an aussie perspective and an example of limitless passion for brewing.
B)

Exactly what I thought, I do listen to Graham alot too, crazy critter he is!
Never heard of Brewium though, now I am about to google it...... Good on ya! :p

Edit: Downloading now... :)

Brewing network all the way, it's entertaining and informative, the days just fly by when listening to that. I'll admit sometimes it goes a little OTT. I haven't listened to much of Basic Brewing Radio, seemed like good information, just a little slow for me. Brewcrazy is like listening to nails on a blackboard. Oh and if you haven't listened to the 'Yeast Slurry' podcast...don't <_<

I see there's a few more there that I haven't listened to, seems like it's a good thing my ISP has recently upgraded my download quota :D

Never heard of Brewium though,

i highly recommend chapter (?) 11, primitive brews, when Jim French gets up on his podium at the 2ish minute mark you cant help but be impressed by his eloquence and knowledge of brewing arcana. An awesome bloke to have a night on the piss with i reckon.. :)

Yeah, the Basic Brewing guys. They have some interesting alternate techniques and experiments as well.

yup, i reckon to keep your program fresh you have to keep experimenting on new things..

How I rank em for listening

1. Basic Brewing Radio - good informative mostly.
2. The Brewing Network - Pro some great interviews, but ads, self promotion, constant begging money, BN army of followers is all a bit of a wank.
3. The Jamil Show - Good info but lots of self promo, don't forget to buy the book.
4. Craftbrewer Radio - some good info if you can put up with Grahams cackling laugh and mispronunciation.
5. Big Foamy Head - Beer Reviews mostly US breweries, great Southern Blues and Rock music.
6. Brew Bubbas Radio - ok, a tad boring
7. Yeast Slurry Podcast - Ok sometimes, pretty much a one man and wife band, wife giggles and agrees, pretty much.
8. Pacific Brew News - On again Off again

I would have voted for that Other show but it wasnt on the list :p

Ive listened to most but pretty much stick with TBN and BB.

Capretta, how about starting a wiki with a list of podcasts?

I like Craft Beer Radio. I'm sort of into the bears that Geoff and Greg are into and I usually get to have a look at that gear once a year when over that part of world. Mmm, Man Candy.

not a bad idea there jye, cheers, basically a secondary reason for this poll was seeing if there were any good ones i had been missing! thanks to screwy for a couple i have not heard from.. ;)

+1
I like Basic Brewing. Great show.

Basic Brewing for me. I love the no-nonsense format and the quality of the guests. Jamil is the only other one I'll listen too - only when I'm particularly interested in a style. I used to listen to the BN Sunday show but gave it away. The guests are fantastic but you have to sit through hours of shite to get the good bits. Ditto to Oz Craftbrewer, except you need to listen to 3 or 4 episodes to get something worth listening to. I listened to an ep a few weeks back, reminded me why I don't listen to it anymore.

I think I have them all sync'd to my iPod, but not all get a listen.

I think it goes
BN (Sunday Session) been listening since episode 1 and remain in contact with the crew and is my #1.
Jamil Show
Basic Brewing
Beerschool.com (not on your list)

Others I've tried (but couldn't get into) include:

Should I drink that (SIDT)
Craft Brew Radio
Big Foamy Head
Pacific Brew News
BrewCrazy
Yeast Slurry

Doc

#1 BN Sunday Session - been listening for years (but not as long as Doc) and its a personal involvement now as well as a beer information thing. Plus I get a couple of days entertainment out of it over the 3 or 4 hours of show.

#2 The Jamil Show - it was better before the book came out, but its still a great way to get a handle on the styles, and I have the book, so its a useful cross reference

#3 Basic Brewing Radio - Great easy to listen to format and James is just a nice guy

thats it these days. Tried a few of the others but they have faded away over time.

Used to listen to Craftbrewer - but although I really like the beer info and beer talk - the FNQ parochialism and vivid red hue of the necks on display (even though I know that most of it is tongue in cheek) got to be too much for me to take and I had to stop listening. Chronic regional alcoholism is NOT a vibrant beer culture dammit !!

not a bad idea there jye, cheers, basically a secondary reason for this poll was seeing if there were any good ones i had been missing! thanks to screwy for a couple i have not heard from.. ;)

How about starting a podcast?

I'd vote for the local bloke(s) and blokeman of course, had the pleasure of meeting Graham and SWMBO (for an interview) 2-3 years ago when passing through Towmsville and he is a typical county aussie bloke with a dash of FNQ parochialism.

Have listened to BB Radio and Jamil but they don't ring my bells. In my previous career before brewing (explosives) we had Americans trying to tell us they were the experts and they knew jack sh!t, we (ozzie ozzie ozzie oi oi oi ) were the experts but were modest as is the ozzie way. Maybe that sways my view.

Cheers, Andrew.

P.S. I have had many "sessions' with Americans (mostly in Newcastle, Sydney and the far flung corners of China and Mongolia) who I consider mates, that convince me that this is how they behave, not how they truly are. It is just so "un-Australian" to be self-confidant and full of ones self.

Have been listening to the Brewing Network shows for years, and really enjoy them, and love the humour. I do wonder how hard it woudl be to just start listeining to the show, wihtout an "in " for all the "in jokes"
Also dig Graham Sanders' show, that guy sounds like he is just having so much fun.
Basic brewing radio, seemend like it was brewing for Mid West baptists
BrewCrazy is just uttershite, and should be wiped off the face of the earth.

I aslo like Beer School, but if you dont like BayArea queers pontificating about beer, youll hate it.

Back