Fast fermenting and flocculating yeast for hoppy ale.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topher

Reaction score
Hello yeast beasts.

I have stuffed up my re brew beer a bit for the Nats. Its not as good as I want it to be. So Im gonna do last minute rebrew rebrew tomorrow.
2 week turnaround needed from kettle to keg to bottle. Plenty of yeasts i know will be ace drinking in that time......but clarity hmmmmmmm.

Whos got a favourite fast fermenting....fast clearing yeast?

Might try a brit yeast. Most of them drop well. It does depend a little on style though. What are we working towards? APA?

American amber. Got a slurry of wlp060......but thats never a quick flocc.
Of course i didnt think about english yeasts.
Stone use 005 or similar, might give that a bash!

+1 for wlp007. First starter I did with it clumped like cottage cheese while it was still spinning!

Wlp005 will drop quick too. Beautiful in an ESB recently blown.

WLP090. Will be done & dropping in 3 days

Mate dried Nottingham is the obvious choice if ya pushed for time,will ferment in 3 or 4 days,drops like a stone,most of the English micros use it or saf 04 so its quality.

Got some 007 for tomorrow. Will grab notto as a backup. Thanks for the help peeps.

Topher said:
Got some 007 for tomorrow. Will grab notto as a backup. Thanks for the help peeps.
[SIZE=11pt] Chuck them both in as you’re in a hurry.[/SIZE]

So you have made a great beer that placed at state level and don't have a second bottle, so you want to change yeast because you are concerned about clarity. The maximum score for appearance is 5 points out of a total of 50 points for a beer. I would be surprised if the difference between a slight hazy american amber ale and a clear one would be worth more than 1 point out of 50, all other things been equal. So if it was me i would stick to your prize recipe and yeast and may be use some gelatine to help clear it up, rather than use a different yeast with different flavour profile and attenuation which may result in an inferior tasting beer: flavour is scored out of 15 points.

Black n Tan said:
So you have made a great beer that placed at state level and don't have a second bottle, so you want to change yeast because you are concerned about clarity. The maximum score for appearance is 5 points out of a total of 50 points for a beer. I would be surprised if the difference between a slight hazy american amber ale and a clear one would be worth more than 1 point out of 50, all other things been equal. So if it was me i would stick to your prize recipe and yeast and may be use some gelatine to help clear it up, rather than use a different yeast with different flavour profile and attenuation which may result in an inferior tasting beer: flavour is scored out of 15 points.
The man has a VERY valid point.........

Chuck a swag of gelatine at it if you're really concerned. Time is of the essence here!

Yes but hazy beer (esp if it's yeast related) does taste different to clear and while it's 5 points on the sheet, it's probably 10 in many judge's minds (don't forget overall impression either).

manticle said:
Yes but hazy beer (esp if it's yeast related) does taste different to clear and while it's 5 points on the sheet, it's probably 10 in many judge's minds (don't forget overall impression either).
Ah, yes, of course. Judge's subjectivity in a comp. (sorry, it's been awhile since I judged - I'm just a lowly Steward... ;) ).

I read it as the re brew wasn’t as good as he wanted it to be, so gelatine probably won’t help.

He didn’t say it was hazy or why he wasn’t happy with it.

Latest posts

Back