thoughts on hop stand IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mizz

Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone have any thoughts on this IPA? I'm no chilling so have decided to to a long stand of about 20-30 mins for the late hops, hoping this will give me enough bitterness. I put my cube straight in a sink of cold water so it doesn't stay hot long.. can usually pitch in two or three hours. I sterilise the crap out of the cube with 8L of boiling water first then drain and hit with cold water and star san so shouldn't have any problem with infection with the force chill..

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: hop stand IPA

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 26 liters (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 32 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.062
Efficiency: 70% (ending kettle)
No Chill: 20 minute extended hop boil time

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.076
Final Gravity: 1.021
ABV (standard): 7.21%
IBU (tinseth): 59.58
SRM (morey): 8.13

FERMENTABLES:
8.5 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (94.4%)
0.5 kg - American - Munich - Light 10L (5.6%)

HOPS:
10 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 9.22
10 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 9.44
30 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 0 min, IBU: 20.7
30 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 0 min, IBU: 20.22

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Fly Sparge, Temp: 64 C, Time: 60 min, Amount: 18 L

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 15 - 23.89 C
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)
Additional Yeast: us 05

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Light colored and hoppy
Ca2: 75
Mg2: 5
Na: 10
Cl: 50
SO4: 150
HCO3: 0

Your IBU's are (theoretically) correct, but personally I would be adding some dry hops down the line as well. I don't think you'll get enough hop aroma from the hop stand alone. Make sure you give the hops a good stir/rouse every 5-10 minutes if you can, don't just throw them in and wait 30 minutes, they'll settle and you won't get as much out of them.

You could always do as that bloke on the Northern Brewer forums who makes 450 gram "hop stand only" IPA's. :blink: That should get you a good aroma kick. :p

Looks pretty sweet for an IPA man. I would lower the OG and finish around 1012 or 1014. Dry hop it for a few days as well if you like that sort of thing.

slash22000 said:
You could always do as that bloke on the Northern Brewer forums who makes 450 gram "hop stand only" IPA's. :blink: That should get you a good aroma kick. :p
That sounds awesome, link please, got a pound of Cascade itching to be used :chug:

Gav80 said:
Looks pretty sweet for an IPA man. I would lower the OG and finish around 1012 or 1014. Dry hop it for a few days as well if you
like that sort of thing.
Or up mash temp and add some dex to dry it out and give a lower final gravity

Gav80 said:
Looks pretty sweet for an IPA man. I would lower the OG and finish around 1012 or 1014. Dry hop it for a few days as well if you like that sort of thing.
I think in reality the US 05 will bring it down to 1015 or even lower. They estimate 72% attenuation on the site but I believe it to more like 80%.. I am pitching two packets also.

I've got a little sick of the taste of dry hopping.. think I'll make a huge hop tea toward the end of fermentation. Something like 60-80 grams of simcoe and chinook in 300 ml of boiled water and steep till cold. Thoughts on that?

Get a cheap coffee press from kmart and do it in that

I don't understand what a hop tea would accomplish that a dry hop wouldn't. If anything hop teas tend to emphasise the unpalatable "grassy" aspects of a dry hop.

Last one I did in an american amber with a coffee press worked great but did seem to add extra bitterness. But aroma was awesome

slash22000 said:
I don't understand what a hop tea would accomplish that a dry hop wouldn't. If anything hop teas tend to emphasise the unpalatable "grassy" aspects of a dry hop.
Haven't been happy with dry hopping.. get an almost soapy or unpleasant perfume flavour from it that ruins the mouth feel and makes beer taste a bit sickly or under attenuated when it's not.. not sure if it's my process but all I do is boil shot glasses and a cut off paint strainer bag (to remove the rubber band) in water for 10 minutes then drain and sanitise, then drain again and add hops, tie the bag and gently drop it in, leave for 4-6 days and bottle. Never been happy with this at rates above 2g per litre. (just like to point out that I work at a brewery and they dry hop lose in the bright tank two days before crashing then leave for a further two days before bottling) this works great for them but as I don't have temp control crashing is not an option..

Has anyone had good results with the hop tea?

I've wanted to dry hop with more like 5g a litre but don't want to waste the hops.. I'm going to try the hop tea tomorrow with an aussie pale ale using galaxy.. 40g in 300ml boiled water then add that just before bottling. Thoughts?

doon said:
Or up mash temp and add some dex to dry it out and give a lower final gravity
Then he's getting into IIPA territory. IBU's and hop mass just wouldnt be there I reckon. But it is too sweet as he has it.

Latest posts

Back