Fantastic! My Fire Exingisher Is Leaking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulmershe

Reaction score
:eek: Unbeleivable, We have a stack of relos coming over tomorrow for Christmas Day, 2 kegs of beer and my fire extinguisher CO2 bottle decides to start leaking.
It is leaking from the pin under the handle. :huh:
Anyone know if there is a SAFE way to fix this or should I get the fire extinguisher place to fix it in the new year?

Bulmershe

Don't know of any way personally, but be sure to put it outside to do it's leaking thing man....

Don't know of any way personally, but be sure to put it outside to do it's leaking thing man....

Thanks domonsura,
It appears to only leak when the handle is down or immediately after releasing the handle for about 3 seconds.
Unfortunately I cannot leave it outside because the kids would play with it. So it is locked away in the garage.

Thanks for the advice though.

if it leaks when you turn it on you will lose the co2 anyway as you will find it is probably two little o rings inside the spindle. If that is the case just drink from your keg as normal and when the pressure drops off to munch give it a charge and turn the c02 off again.

if it leaks when you turn it on you will lose the co2 anyway as you will find it is probably two little o rings inside the spindle. If that is the case just drink from your keg as normal and when the pressure drops off to munch give it a charge and turn the c02 off again.

Beer Guy,
That sounds like that will get me through the festivities of tomorrow.
Cheers :beer:

Too late to help with the relo bash now, but I think this is a somewhat common problem with extinguishers. Most of what I have read recommends you don't leave them permanently "on" for this reason.

Most of what I have read recommends you don't leave them permanently "on" for this reason.

Possibly what you read on here, has been posted by people who don't use extinguishers. I have three with different type valves - have never had a problem.

Didn't leave the gas permanently on when I used a rented cylinder either, in case of leaks in the line/clamps/manifold/connectors/kegs.

It's dead easy to replace the 'O' rings
Otherwise did you see the exingisher I posted on the ebay thread,perhaps it's in your neck of the woods and only $10.00 !

Batz

I currently have mine pulled apart to replace the seals, will hopefully find some replacements at bunnings. Ill post some picks once its complete to show hows its done and as Batz said its very easy.

You will also be very surprised at how much black grease there is :blink: its worth while cleaning it just to remove this and use a food grade lubricant in its place.

Here is mine in bits, I clean all the grease off and replaced the large washer between the bottle and the trigger as it was starting to deteriorate. The other 2 are still looking good but Ill be grabbing some replacements for next time its empty. Before putting it all back together I used food grade lubricant on the shaft O-ring for a smooth action.

IMG_1886.JPGIMG_1893.JPG

Possibly what you read on here, has been posted by people who don't use extinguishers. I have three with different type valves - have never had a problem.

Didn't leave the gas permanently on when I used a rented cylinder either, in case of leaks in the line/clamps/manifold/connectors/kegs.

Good advice, I always turn my cylinder off as well.

Suppose your fire extinguisher refiller wasn't keen to remove the dip tube.
Does anyone know if they would know if you took it out yourself before getting a refill?

Which way does it unscrew, Jye? Is it anti-clockwise or reversed like barbie gas?

Campbell

It has a normal thread.

Removing the dip tube shouldnt cause any problems refilling. When I picked mine up they removed it and fill it on the spot without even questioning why.

Suppose your fire extinguisher refiller wasn't keen to remove the dip tube.
Does anyone know if they would know if you took it out yourself before getting a refill?

Which way does it unscrew, Jye? Is it anti-clockwise or reversed like barbie gas?

Campbell

Alternatively you could use it upside down, in the 'rocket' position. Of course I would recommend against this highly dangerous practice ;)

But think about those from the Northern hemisphere :p

For Bats Batz? :p

InCider, so glad to see your still alive mate. After emptying one whole keg using the dreaded Fire Extinguisher filled with er, er, er, non-foodgrade g g g gas. Do hope your feeling OK.

Screwy

Non fire extinguisher paranoid brewer.

InCider, so glad to see your still alive mate. After emptying one whole keg using the dreaded Fire Extinguisher filled with er, er, er, non-foodgrade g g g gas. Do hope your feeling OK.

Screwy

Non fire extinguisher paranoid brewer.

Ahh my new kegs. Tom, Dick & Harry.

After more that a few fine steins, schooners, pints and even a sample direct from El Bronco, she ran dry.
No reason for worry about the quality of the C02 because of:

Smoking cigarettes on Xmas night,
Absinthe,
Riding my pushbike 20ks inhaling car exhaust (safer that driving would you believe it?)
Lighting the BBQ,
Using my machete to trim 5 huge golden cane palms,
Panadol used to clear up the absinthe hangover,
And the Coke,
And the chips and greasy food... :eek:

So I'm not really worried about the hair splitting between gas sources.
But after what I had consumed, on the gas front I was the most aromatic of the lot, and in danger of gassing myself! :D

Back