Fanboys - These Members

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is 2 kinds of noobs to me:

1) I just read all this on the Internet, can I put 10 kilos of sugar in 5 litres of juice and make rocket fuel? ----- go to hell

2) I made that kit, followed instruction, didn't taste 'fresh', don't know how to word it. Then read up and discovered to use a different yeast and do it cooler. Much better but I want to make beer like real beer. I read all this about adding grain and hops, anyone have simple advice for a beginner or a helpful link (too many to sort through).

You can tell which ones get ignored or ridiculed. The second sometimes get flamed but their questions still get answered. apart from that, helping #2 is easy, step 1 - link them to nickJD's $20 thread. Step 2 - when they come back for more, link to braukaiser. Almost all the information and theory needed to start up is in there. 'almost'.

Fine Friendly Service

You get a lot of that on this forum...

I always thought it was "For F*ck Sake"

@ Nick JD is it true those "the_new_darren" T-shirts come in a choice of 2 colours "talk shit brown" or "troll green"? Mind you I did like the old darren t-shirt better with "IMA F WIT!" printed in large Lettering on the front and back.

certainly wouldn't let it loose globally, lest the off-topic subforum would have thumbs going everywhere.
And then you've gotta stick a thumb up everyone you meet at a case swap. The whole idea is almost without value. Only TB's proposal comes close to being useful (the visible trust list thing) but it relies on a noob wanting to research other people's opinions and it is often hard enough to find noobs who want to research their own questions.

Hide postcounts. Piss off the star rating system. Use your own bloody judgement or be happy to follow the instructions on the tin.

Also, some of you guys are talking like there's people going out of their way to ensure people make shit beer. People give the advice they give because it is what they do and it works for them. Doesn't necesarily stop it from being shit advice but I think we need to tone down the malice.

Now, he was a funny one. The dude knew A LOT about brewing - but he only knew a lot about how he brewed and acted like it was the only way to brew. Being a shit person doesn't mean he was wanting people to make shit beer.

And then you've gotta stick a thumb up everyone you meet at a case swap.
And this one time, at Case Swap...
pie3.jpg

Snip... It is often hard enough to find noobs who want to research their own questions.

And there's the crux of it, noob or not. Help yourself before demanding it of others.

We could all perhaps take a different approach to how we handle questions.

A recent example I can think of is when some noob asks a question like "What pressure should I set my regulator at" and people give answers like "10 bar" without even asking the serving temperature.

I spent a bit of time giving a long answer, I would have been better off looking at a FAQ or Wiki and seeing if the answer I was going to give was already included. If not update the FAQ / Wiki and then go back to the thread with a link.

The answer to all noob questions should be to just link them to the FAQ. Once one person has done it, no need for anyone else to chime in with their "OMG RTFM" shit.

The information on this forum, like most information in life, should be subjected to self-editing and critical analysis.

The problem is that people - either here or in "real" life - expect to be able to roll on, without ever thinking for themselves or trying to go "hey, you know what? I'm going to actually see for myself if that's right or true, rather than just believe it because it's on telly or in the paper".

I had a respected and very helpful member disagree with me recently (which I totally respect). The user who asked the question has now two points of view to look at, which are pretty much the opposite of each other. Both probably have replicable results to back up their points of view.

It's now up to him to either a. Research more and/or b. Try it for himself and see what he likes.

We could be both wrong.

Either way the stopping of the flow of information, is counterproductive.

The only way to really see if you believe a user is to research and try their beer (if possible). The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

And when that person asks more information, you have the credibility you need in frothy, beery currency.

Finally, get a book or two (or get "how to brew" online), and the BJCP guidelines. Use information on this forum to supplement it (sometimes the information is the same, but expressed differently and in a matter that you can "get" easily - aka Nick_JD's $20 stovetop method). Analyse your results and have fun.

Goomba

Well spotted, if you want to learn about passion for all grain brewing, a natural feeling for what will work and what wont, plus learn a bit about Led Zeppelin, then dig up all the old posts from Jayse from the early days of this forum. He taught me everything I needed to know, and I never even met him.
I agree, Jayse's posts got me to AG without too many tears.

The most helpful posters to me have been, ( in no particular order)
Jayse
Justin
Pint of Lager
Doc
Ross
Pistol Patch
Tony
GL
Kai
Batz
Darren ( must say in the early days)
the rook
Screwy
Snow
Linz
Pedro
Wes Smith
Wee Stu
Nonic
Big D
Chiller
Jazman
Pumpy
Sosman
Duff
TidalPete

To many others to name and apologies to those that I have forgotten

These are all pretty much posters back from early days when I was getting a grasp on moving to AG, however there have been pearls of wisdom from many other posters that get you thinking outside the square or challenge conventional thinking.

Search the forum well and sift the rubbish out, read books, use google, but the best teacher is to go out and test the theories and ideas for yourself.
See what works for you and your system.
What's the worst that can happen?
I have made many mistakes and brewed a couple of pretty average brews but they were my mistakes and I learnt from them.
Just get out there and have a crack at it.
Cheers
Chris

speaking of star ratings, I used to be a 5, till some rsole downgraded me to a 3.
A very traumatic experience, let me assure you :(

In addition to TasChris' post
In my experience when MHB or Dr K, say something, time to grab a carpet square and listen.

In addition to TasChris' post
In my experience when MHB or Dr K, say something, time to grab a carpet square and listen.
Agreed.
There's a few others who could be added to the list...though it occurs to me that alot of them rarely post these days.

Latest posts

Back