Fanboys - These Members

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there was only one way to make beer there would only be one set of answers.

Making megaswill is a science (biology/economics); making beer at home is an artform.

proof of why this wont work is in this very thread. several people have suggested things that would need to be included etc and yet they havent bothered to read the posts before them or the info/links provided. so sadly it is doomed to fail.

Unfortunately no longer on the forum, but buttersd70 was the man for me.

You can only hope that one day a "the_new_buttersd70" may appear to share his infinite wisdom on all things beery.

Why don't we have a 'rep' up or down button, or even just up to avoid trolls.

Or even a special badge or something for those who have received alot of up votes for helpful posts? That way you could see who has given good advice. Personally I think its great when someone takes time to write a detailed helpful post and there should be something to show others. I know I wouldn't be brewing anything half decent if not for the many nooby questions patient people have answered for me!

Could even have a points system going where people with heaps of points can get merch or something? Probably a bit too much but its an idea?

..... or losing sleep because of what someone said to you on an internet forum, maybe brewing isn't for you.

If I worried about that I would have given up brewing before I started.

Instead Ive listened to those who have taken the time to offer good advice in replies or Pm's and have so far done 4 succesful BIAB brews that I can honestly say have enjoyed drinking all of them so far.

Maybe what we need is an absolute beginners only section that noobs can ask what they want to. If your a helpful bloke and like answering the same questions then go for it, spread your knowledge.

If your an expert brewer with lots of knowledge but hate having to repeat yourself or think noobs are lazy because they don't want to wade through 15 pages of what might be outdated information then simple..Dont read posts in that forum.

You wouldn't walk into a gay bar knowing thats what it was, unless you liked that sort of thing.

If I worried about that I would have given up brewing before I started.

Instead Ive listened to those who have taken the time to offer good advice in replies or Pm's and have so far done 4 succesful BIAB brews that I can honestly say have enjoyed drinking all of them so far.

Maybe what we need is an absolute beginners only section that noobs can ask what they want to. If your a helpful bloke and like answering the same questions then go for it, spread your knowledge.

If your an expert brewer with lots of knowledge but hate having to repeat yourself or think noobs are lazy because they don't want to wade through 15 pages of what might be outdated information then simple..Dont read posts in that forum.

You wouldn't walk into a gay bar knowing thats what it was, unless you liked that sort of thing.

But this site is set up like this, sometimes people don't like to read, they post their problem/question where ever they like.

All forums have sub headings which tells you what it's about
EG
Kits & Extracts
Post in this section if you are a new brewer or brew with kits & extracts.

All Grain (AG) & Partials
This forum is for more technical and experienced brewing discussions. Please keep posts on topic.

But this site is set up like this, sometimes people don't like to read, they post their problem/question where ever they like.

All forums have sub headings which tells you what it's about
EG
Kits & Extracts
Post in this section if you are a new brewer or brew with kits & extracts.

All Grain (AG) & Partials
This forum is for more technical and experienced brewing discussions. Please keep posts on topic.

Ok but I (and others) have asked questions in the Beginner/partials AG forum and been told we're lazy and that we should be searching. Same thing in "The common Ground" forum.

I thought the kits and extracts forum was just for noobs to kits and extracts.
If there was an absolute beginners forum where noobs could ask any question relating to brewing, wether its AG, BIAB, K&K, fermenting, gear and equipment etc and the mods could move posts in the wrong forum to this forum as they happen, Im sure this would please a lot of the angrier brewers who let these small things in life get to them. :ph34r:
For every "pissed off with a noob question" brewer theres another 5 only to willing to help by replying and in a PM.

Lets not give them anything to get angry over.

Forums would work perfectly if when someone asked an inappropriate question, or a question in the incorrect place, that no one replied.

The thing that differentiates expertise from wisdom is knowing when to help and when not.

Often expertise comes with a big dollup of dickhead attached.

I've tried to help out a lot on this site, but I've also had my fair share of experts' "advice". I can think of one memorable one - it was an epic fail on the expert's part to the point of being somewhat entertaining.

What a lot of people fail to notice, is a large chunk of information on forums like this one actually come from those who don't know what they're doing. Asking the right question is often smarter than knowing the right answer.

Seems like a good idea, but indeed really hard to work it.
So lets just start a list of awesomeness

1. mckenry

hahahahahahahaha

Asking the right question is often smarter than knowing the right answer.
Is this similar to 'sometimes the best way to impart information is not to include any'?

Thanks. I'm off to brew my Koan Ale right now.

Is this similar to 'sometimes the best way to impart information is not to include any'?
I think Keanu summed it up best:

Bill: "The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing"
Ted: That's us, dude. Whoa...

Keanu-Reeves-1.jpg

Or even a special badge or something for those who have received alot of up votes for helpful posts? That way you could see who has given good advice. Personally I think its great when someone takes time to write a detailed helpful post and there should be something to show others.

I agree with this.

Off topic:
Also, id like to see a little indicator to see what threads iveposted in to makeit easier to keep track. Have been a member of some vintage music gear forums and they have this feature. A little icon next to the thread title to indicate youve posted.

Also, id like to see a little indicator to see what threads iveposted in to makeit easier to keep track. Have been a member of some vintage music gear forums and they have this feature. A little icon next to the thread title to indicate youve posted.

Look harder.

The only way to tell who knows their shit is to know the shit properly yourself, unfortunately new brewers ussually just believe whoever shouts the loudest (posts the most).

I think a reputation system might also mean that people who would have previously ignored a 'dumb' question to answer it anyway. Giving them reputation and the noob gets their answer sorted. Although posting in wrong sections etc repeatedly is just stupid.

I realise people ask dumb questions but I have had a couple which I have searched and searched and not found, then once I post someone comes and links me a post which I could never find amongst random topics on page 40 of 150 etc. Personally nobody has had a go at me and I find the forum really good.

Slightly OT -
Shout outs to Nick JD and Big Nath, since seeing you post here has reminded me you guys have helped me a fair few times with detail and shared invaluable experience with me. There are many others for sure though!

I like the idea of a "thumbs up" "thumbs down" system on posts.... A feature building on that could be a search for the top rated posts on a particular term.

The testicality of writing it would probably be ridiculous though :mellow:

The testicality of writing it would probably be ridiculous though :mellow:
Why would you write it? This is exactly the purpose of StackExchange, you get a lot of this functionality inbuilt.

Unlike AHB, StackExchange sites tend to be pretty dry, humourless places. AHB, despite the shitfights, is sometimes drunkentertaining.

Latest posts

Back