False bottom gap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAM

Reaction score
Hello everyone I got a question about a false bottom i made today for my 150 litre esky..
Forgive me if this is a silly question but I have never used a false bottom before, and I dont want to run into problems the first time I do..
Over all the edges there is contact between the metal of the false bottom and the plastic of the esky, except for at one corner where there is a gap about 2 mm, that goes to nothing over about 2-3 cm.. The holes of the perforated sheet are only 2 mm so I'm guessing that the gap only being 2 mm heigh isnt a problem, but the fact that is continues for a centimetre or so caused me some concern.

Is any gap between the false bottom and the esky bad?
I read somewhere of people using muslin or steel wool to plug any holes..
I will be using a rims system with this false bottom, so I dont know if that makes a difference..
Hopefully that description was understandable

Cheers

False1.jpg

Once the grain bed settles, it'll hold the FB down. You'll get a bit of grain through initially but I still get some on my system where the FB is sprung against the mash tun floor.

Thanks for the reply

So would I let the grain settle before running the pump for recirc?
Also, this leads me to another question.. Should I be stirring the mash?? I always thought to get the heat even everywhere you had to stir and stir whilst recirculating

Cheers

I use a keggle as a MT but basically similar. I dough in while stirring to prevent doughballs, then I let the grain settle for 5-10mins. Then I slowly crack the tap to the recirc pump. I have a bleed tap below the pump I use to bleed air and this also helps remove all the initial bits of grain that make it past the FB. Then I just start the pump and throttle it open to get a nice flow rate. I check it flows smooth for a minute or two then walk away. I don't stir after dough in. I flysparge and get around 78% efficiency which suits me fine.

In regards to heat distribution; I think on a recirculating system, controlling the temp of the fluid is more important than the mash bed. The main focus is that the starches/sugars are rinsed from the grain into the fluid with the help of an effective false bottom/wort return arrangement. That's as scientific as I'll get!

Camo6 - Thanks for your replies, I will have to install a bleed valve as well, sounds like a good idea..and I guess I just gotta get a brew on and see how it works..you learn from the mistakes right? And ive made plenty of mistakes :p !!

Yob - I made it myself! Took a bit of work and a few drill bits though!

Cheers

Where did you get the perforated sheet from?

RS components is where I got the sheet from.. They're not the cheapest.
I called a good few metal fabricators around sydney and I was finding it hard to get sheet with 2 mm holes, in that pattern..

It won't drain at all because there's nothing connecting the false bottom to the outlet. Seriously though, the gap you're worried about isn't likely to cause any problems. I agree with the other comments regarding the false bottom; it looks great and will serve you well.

Back