Fake Aussie Lager Recipe Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky

hop addict
Reaction score
Looking to put down an Aussie lager style brew this weekend and would appreciate recipe advice.
Im after something fairly light that can be enjoyed by "the others" on a summers day.

I was thinking along the lines of:

100% JW ale malt to around 1.050
POR @ 60 to 30IBU
US05 at 17 degrees

Not sure how the 100% ale bill will go. I also have wey pils, light munich and vienna to add if need be.
Would a dry lager yeast be the go? I have only ever used ale yeasties so far, however I do have a fermenting fridge so can ferment at lager temps.
A small amount of something for a touch more complexity or colour on the cards?
Any need for some dex to dry it out a fraction(would prefer not)

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

cheers

For a premium lager better than any aussie mega i'd be doing;

Pils 80%
Vienna 15%
Munich 5%
POR to 25-30IBU @60
S189 at 13 (can be done with good results up to 19)

mash at 62-63

ferment out and lager for minimum of 2 weeks. The vienna and munich will just add that extra touch of complexity to step up from simple to "premium"

Use a bit dextrose to lower the FG, you want it to be fairly dry, say 250g.

US05 kept low will do a good job (I've been as low as 14C).

Looking to put down an Aussie lager style brew this weekend and would appreciate recipe advice.
Im after something fairly light that can be enjoyed by "the others" on a summers day.

I was thinking along the lines of:

100% JW ale malt to around 1.050
POR @ 60 to 30IBU
US05 at 17 degrees

Not sure how the 100% ale bill will go. I also have wey pils, light munich and vienna to add if need be.
Would a dry lager yeast be the go? I have only ever used ale yeasties so far, however I do have a fermenting fridge so can ferment at lager temps.
A small amount of something for a touch more complexity or colour on the cards?
Any need for some dex to dry it out a fraction(would prefer not)

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

cheers

If you can keep it at 17, i reckon S189 is a goer. That is a very forgiving and very easy to use lager yeast. Or try wyeast 1007, yum. Though theres nothing wrong with using the 05.

Cheers

US05 kept low will do a good job (I've been as low as 14C).

Can you explain how you consider that adding dextrose will lower the FG? or are you saying use dextrose within a recipe to achieve a low fg?

If you want something really light and dry that your mates will drink try this one, I tested it on my swill mates and they even got up and started drinking it the next morning for breakfast...

This is a bribie g special...

3.5kg Pilsner Pale Malt (Barrett Burston)
0.3kg Carapils Malt (Weyermann)
0.6kg Dextrose
15g Super Pride @ 60 minutes (23 IBU)
5g Super Pride @ 5 minutes (1.5 IBU) (I no chill so this could be considered a 20 minute addition if you chill).
S-189 Yeast (I did it at 12 degrees but apparently works at ale temps)

I did a 21 litre batch, it started at 1.048 and finished at 1.007 making it 5.3% alcohol which is more than I expected. Maybe do the same recipe but with less Dex to get it at 5%.

It was a very very surprisingly drinkable beer. I'm going to make one again. I made this for my mates but realised that I wouldn't mind having something like this on tap as a house beer and I intend to do that now.

Oh and I did about 10 days primary, then diacetyl rest for a couple of days, then cold conditioned for about 2 weeks on the yeast cake. No secondary. Polyclar + Filter. An hour after kegging it was like coloured water, completely see through, and already tasting pretty good.

0.6kg Dextrose
5g Super Pride @ 5 minutes (1.5 IBU) (I no chill so this could be considered a 20 minute addition if you chill).

That sounds good mate... might adopt this for a summer quaffer but i'll swap hops out for Bsaaz

Can you explain how you consider that adding dextrose will lower the FG? or are you saying use dextrose within a recipe to achieve a low fg?

The phrase 'add some dex to dry it out' seems to get bandied about quite a bit and had me thinking for some time. I'm sure people who say it really mean "Replace some malt with some dex". While their intention is good the communication of it can be misleading.

Yeah it's a definite lawn mower beer. The pale pilsner + dex do their best to pretend the beer has no malt in it but then the carapils adds in just enough for it to not be completely horrible.

Next time I'm going to put 500gm dex in but do everything else the same.

Oh and I did about 10 days primary, then diacetyl rest for a couple of days, then cold conditioned for about 2 weeks on the yeast cake. No secondary. Polyclar + Filter. An hour after kegging it was like coloured water, completely see through, and already tasting pretty good.

Do you think c/c on primary yeast was worthwhile, polyclar? filter?, thats a lot of work.Must be some really shitty wort going to the fermenter?
No pun Mark, trying to get my head around 1v 2v systems. Personally i hate all these finings which i think??? and only think, BIAB really needs them. i.e The most active comments re finings are generally coming from the biab crowd.
I plan to give this a go via Bribies method on the urn tutorial. >>>>>>>>>> I have 4/3/2 v, so a mash at 3lgr, then add boiling for a mashout. Yes this goes against the whole thing in a bag, but I am not convinced about the turbid stuff that comes out of a bag/mesh/yada. No chill is giving inconsistent results to clarity on my beers, so perhaps I am doing something completelly wrong........ Tell me.

Tiptoeing thru the tulips and ressurecting the old way via a plate chiller.

Cheers Folk

The phrase 'add some dex to dry it out' seems to get bandied about quite a bit and had me thinking for some time. I'm sure people who say it really mean "Replace some malt with some dex". While their intention is good the communication of it can be misleading.

yeah thanks mate... knew this already... being a touch pedantic. Common myth that.

yeah thanks mate... knew this already... being a touch pedantic. Common myth that.

Figured since you asked the question that you knew the answer. :) Thought I'd pop an answer in for anyone who wasn't in the know, as you say it is a common myth but it still gets repeated.

If you want something really light and dry that your mates will drink try this one, I tested it on my swill mates and they even got up and started drinking it the next morning for breakfast...

This is a bribie g special...

0.6kg Dextrose

I did a 21 litre batch, it started at 1.048 and finished at 1.007 making it 5.3% alcohol which is more than I expected. Maybe do the same recipe but with less Dex to get it at 5%.

It was a very very surprisingly drinkable beer. I'm going to make one again. I made this for my mates but realised that I wouldn't mind having something like this on tap as a house beer and I intend to do that now.

That sounds better to me, munich or vienna will make it too malty for an Aussie lager.

Batz

Pretty much figured seemax was talking about part of the fermentables coming from dex rather than adding magic drying dex.

However just to touch on this - brewing is about balance and perception. A 50 IBU beer that is sweet is perceived differently from a beer that is 50 IBU dry. Is it not the case that a beer may be given a different perception with the addition of dex? Not that the body will lessen or the FG will magically get lower but that the balance between sweet and dry will be different (hence the term 'dry it out')? A simple addition of dex on top of the malt will up the alc so the balance of fermentable that the malt has contributed to the total will be less - hence perception changes.

Hope that's clear and it's more of a question than a statement. Happy to be wrong.

I made what i hope will be an aussie (fake) lager partial yesterday so that:

a) i can use up a can of coopers "real ale" that i've had lying around since i discovered all grain
b ) my rellos can drink something that they will enjoy at chrissy

I did...

1.2kg can of real ale (note its not 1.7kg, i saved 500g for starters)
2kg ale malt
.5kg rice

mash temp 68

hops

Cluster @ 40mins (i meant to do this @20 mins but i forgot to account for nochill adding an extra 20mins to everything. )

the can of real ale should add around 20ibus of isohop goodness :) Exactly what i'm looking for.

total bitterness 30 ibus (I'm making another one in the next few days, it will be bittered to 25)
Alc should be 3.8% (plus .5% if you're bottling)

The wort tasted really thin but didn't taste like kit at all, so hopefully tha twang has been hidden. I have another can of coopers "mexican cervesa" that i will be using up in much the same way in the next few days.

The real ale can was really dark, way too dark for what i am aiming for. I think the cervesa can will work alot better in this department.

I'll be fermenting with US05 really low and cold crashing for at least 5 days. I can keep it at 1C pretty much constantly. This will make it very clear. I did a stone and wood clone recently that uses about 50% wheat and it came out of the fermenter pretty clear because i forgot about it when i was crash chilling. Stone and wood is a cloudy beer, so it was basically the opposite of what i wanted!

So if you got some goop lying around from your kit days and you have rellos coming up, its time to break out the can openers and feed those isohops to the people who really enjoy them. :)

Making an Aussie Lager with real hops will unfortunately make it slightly nicer than the stuff in the pub and as such, not to style.

Overgravity ferment it way too hot with a lager yeast and then bung some flavourless isohop in and water it down to 4.8%. Bang on.

My best Aussie Lager recipe is this one:

18L
3kg BB Pale
200g Sucrose
100g Caramunich 3
20g Southern Cross for 15min
S189 @ 12C

...sactually not an Aussie Lager, but that's a good thing. :D B)

However just to touch on this - brewing is about balance and perception. A 50 IBU beer that is sweet is perceived differently from a beer that is 50 IBU dry. Is it not the case that a beer may be given a different perception with the addition of dex? Not that the body will lessen or the FG will magically get lower but that the balance between sweet and dry will be different (hence the term 'dry it out')? A simple addition of dex on top of the malt will up the alc so the balance of fermentable that the malt has contributed to the total will be less - hence perception changes.

Yep, i reckon.

Also, ethanol has a SG of 0.890, so if you increase your alcohol % by 2% with added dextrose (leaving everything else the same) you will lower your FG.

Those who have added 3kg of dextrose to a can off goop in 23L will have experienced the 1.000 wispy firewater that results. Is it lower in body than the same recipe with only 1kg of dextrose? You bet, but I'm using the extreme to emphasise the point.

I find that little bit of extra alcohol can drastically alter the head retention, body, taste and aroma of a beer. A beer with exactly the same recipe, just a touch of dex.

I use just use JW pilsner malt, carapils and a kilo of boiled rice (rice instead of the dex....... just cant bring myself to use the stuff in all grain). I adjust fermentables to try and bring it in around 4.8%. Hops are just POR for 60mins and hallertau into the cube. I also do some hallertau tea into fermenter when its 75% done (for aroma). Have used both S 189 and Wyeast . Both pretty good. Also gelatin, polyclar and filter. Turns out great and very clear .... no chill haze. Heres a pic I took for another thread. Any haziness is just the condensation on the outside of the glass SANY0005.JPG
eddy

Latest posts

Back