fading hop flavor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAD

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about fading hop flavor in IPA's and was wondering what is the best aging time for them I have a imperial ipa than I'm planning on aging for a few months will I loose the hop flavor. Is there a particular aging period.

What is the reason for aging it for a couple of months?

I keg mine gas em.and drink em

Many high ABV beers (especially dark ones) benefit from a little time conditioning.
I like Stone Brewery's approach They don't even want you to even think of purchasing their IPA and PA more than 90 days after bottling and will replace stock that has gone beyond that date.
When a home brewer says their pale ale is best after three months, I seriously wonder about their brewing process and recipe formulation...

Stout - Age

Pales and IPA... IIPA.... IIIPA... drink em while they are young and supple :icon_drool2:

Keg or Bottle RAD?

I'm curious about this as well, I have a Brett IPA that I'm ageing at the moment to get some of the wild yeast flavours. I'm going to dry hop at some late stage.

If kegging, you can always keg hop when ready to drink.
Me? if its got gas it gets drunk.

Sorry for the late reply it's in a keg. I was always under the impression that the longer you age them for the smother they get.

RAD1 said:
Sorry for the late reply it's in a keg. I was always under the impression that the longer you age them for the smother they get.
Perth is a long way, we understand... True, if you are talking about a big Russian Imperial Stout or American Barleywine. A beer may benefit from "ageing" if it has a big, complex malt bill, a hop schedule requiring a shitload of hops (metric), a lot of spices, fruit or vegetables, a high percentage of adjuncts or maybe an extreme fermentation profile. Most beer, especially a pale ale is none of that.
As Michael "The Beer Hunter" Jackson put it, "If you see a beer, do it a favour, and drink it. Beer was not meant to age."
(I am brewing a 5% Hefeweissbier today that will be served next Friday)

Hop aroma fades by about 3 - 4 months. Ipa/APA should be drunk young. Will still be very drinkable after that time but the hop intensity will be gone. I bought a SNPA bottle last week, cracked it & there was virtually no aroma & little hop taste. Looked at the bottle & it was 10 months old

Get into the pale's early. My xmas Pale was delish at Xmas(12 days in the bottle), now only 2 months in the bottle its still nice but doesn't have that same fresh, hoppy yumminess and smell.

Back