Extract Version Of "nelson Sauvin Summer Ale"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexen

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm keen to try an all extract version of Ross's Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale, using liquid or dry malt.
Could anyone suggest exactly what types I would need? Also should I boil the hops in the liquid/dry malt extract or in water and add the extract in after the boil? Other thing to note it wouldn't be much of an ale at all as I plan on using a spare whitelabs german lager yeast I have thats about to expire.

Stew

Too easy!

Roughly -
2.5 - 3kg Light malt extract (liquid, dry or combo, you choose)
1/2 kg wheat malt

Hop schedule as per recipe.

Do a full boil if you can. If pot size doesn't allow, boil half. Also, bear in mind hop utilisation varies with boil gravity. If you're using half your extract in a small pot (i.e. high gravity), you'll need to increase the qty of hops to compensate.

Hope that gives you a start.

Too easy!

Roughly -
2.5 - 3kg Light malt extract (liquid, dry or combo, you choose)
1/2 kg wheat malt

Hop schedule as per recipe.

Do a full boil if you can. If pot size doesn't allow, boil half. Also, bear in mind hop utilisation varies with boil gravity. If you're using half your extract in a small pot (i.e. high gravity), you'll need to increase the qty of hops to compensate.

Hope that gives you a start.

Thanks for that mate!
Is the wheat malt an extract too? Or grain to be steeped? I know it sounds tight but I dont want to fork out $10 bucks for a 1.5can of liquid wheat malt and only use 1/3 of it.

I have a 15L stock pot and a gas stove, so can really only do a half boil. Will I need to double the hops? (180gms of Sauvin is really $$$)

Also, will there be much difference between using dry or liquid malt extract?

Any particular brand to go for/avoid?

Cheers :)

Sorry mate, it's extract. I'd fork out for a kilo of dry wheat malt and save half of it for later....

Dry stores better.

Edit: Don't double the hops. Can't remember the exact formula (it's on howtobrew.com somewhere) but I think you need to increase by about 10%...

Thanks for that mate!
Is the wheat malt an extract too? Or grain to be steeped? I know it sounds tight but I dont want to fork out $10 bucks for a 1.5can of liquid wheat malt and only use 1/3 of it.

I have a 15L stock pot and a gas stove, so can really only do a half boil. Will I need to double the hops? (180gms of Sauvin is really $$$)

Also, will there be much difference between using dry or liquid malt extract?

Any particular brand to go for/avoid?

Cheers :)

You can get dried wheat extract as well. The wheat isn't essential, just aids in head retention and adds a little flavour. You could replace it with steeped carapils grain for head retention reasons, or leave it out.

You won't need to double the hops. You won't even need to increase them if you do a half boil.

In fact you more than likely will decrease them.

Try enterering the recipe into a calculator like beersmith, download a trial version, or an online one like beertools.

Here's a beersmith printout of my version of the Nelson Sauvin ale, converted to extract.

These calculations have all the extract in the boil.

If you change to only using half the extract, and adding the rest after the boil, the IBUs go up to above 50, which is much higher than this recipe calls for.

Deleting the mash hop addition, which of course you can't do, brings it back down to 40, which is still potentially slightly high, but I had POR in there too.

Batch Size: 18.93 L
Boil Size: 12.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 8.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 42.3 %
0.50 kg Coopers Wheat Extract (7.0 SRM) Extract 14.1 %
0.05 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 1.4 %
20.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.00%] (60 min) Hops 15.7 IBU
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.80%] (60 min) (Mash HopHops 11.4 IBU
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.80%] (20 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.80%] (5 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
5.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.80%] (0 min) (Aroma HopHops -
25.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.80%] (Dry Hop 6 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale S05 (US56) (DCL Yeast #S05) Yeast-Ale

So, I would say boil half and try the following as a guideline...

12L might be a bit much in a 15L pot, but even reducing it to 10 still gives you over 30IBUs...

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 18.93 L
Boil Size: 12.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract (7.0 SRM) Extract 42.3 %
0.50 kg Coopers Wheat Extract (7.0 SRM) Extract 14.1 %
0.05 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 1.4 %
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.80%] (60 min) Hops 21.6 IBU
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.80%] (5 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.80%] (10 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.80%] (0 min) (Aroma HopHops -
25.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.80%] (Dry Hop 6 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale S05 (US56) (DCL Yeast #S05) Yeast-Ale

Thanks for all this fantastic info fellas. I managed to find some Dry Wheat Malt extract at a brewshop this afternoon which was good as I hadn't seen it there in the past!

I'm definantly going to have to get some experience with that Beersmith software. Looks like a winner for sure.

Thanks for all this fantastic info fellas. I managed to find some Dry Wheat Malt extract at a brewshop this afternoon which was good as I hadn't seen it there in the past!

I'm definantly going to have to get some experience with that Beersmith software. Looks like a winner for sure.

The trick I found to get as accurate as possible is to play with the 'Add after Boil' option for extracts to match what level you do use.

I did a lot of boils in a 12L pot and so used to use that a bit.

I found it to be a good program for both extract and mashing. I'm sure promash is good too but I use beersmith cause I like it...

Back