External Hard Drive

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasChris

Lurking
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondering if any of the IT guys could give me any clues on choosing an external drive and what sort of price range I would be looking at.
Probably looking for 300-500GB.
Any info would be appreciated.
For some reason my lap top seems to be full of music and photos!!

Cheers
Chris

I saw the WD Mybook 1Tb external for $199.00 on offer at Officeworks. Pretty good I got one for about $250.00 last time they were on special.

Good for storing all those video downloads from the net.

Edit just got a 320Gb WD Portable USB powered eternal for $129 at Officeworks.

You can usually find some even cheaper at Dealsdirect, oo.com.au, Dailydeals, by searching the web. Prices may be going up though with the decline of the Ozzy Dolllar.

StaticICE is a great source for parts prices in Australia...

Static Ice - 500GB
Static Ice - 1TB

1TB is probably the most economic size to go for at the moment, above and below that you're paying more per byte of storage.

MSY,
External HDD case w/ESATA w/USB = $25/$18
1TB Samsung SATA/1TB Seagate SATA = $159/$189

Samsung+External case+USB is approx the same price as the Cheapest External USB 'all in one' drive. Allot of people WesternDigital have a bad rap

The cheapest Seagate all in one external drive 'freeagent' 3.5" you're looking @ $299~

the obvious answer is to build you're own and the warranty will probably be better on the 'internal' disk over a all in 1 external aswell (cant confirm this but i would assume their HDD that are manufactured for internal use would have a longer warranty as they are less likely to be used in an external case and they dont factor in drop shock etc for their warranty.)

Obviously take this into account before you buy.

I got this little beauty from OfficeWorks about 3 months ago on special for $99. I think they stuffed up, because the next day it was $160, and i have never seen that price before or since! $140 now BTW:

Seagate 500GB Freeagent Desktop 3.5 Hard Drive

Big W has 640 Gb drives for $149.

Good return policy if it doesn't work as well :)

Good luck

Course it depends on what you use it for! We have four computers at home networked over the wireless, so my choice was to go for a network attached drive, like the World Book mentioned earlier.

Everyone in the house stores all their pics/video/email/data/documents on that drive, I then have a second large drive in my tower computer and every Saturday at 8am I run a backup from the network drive to my computers second drive, just in case.

i scored a WD 1TB for $139 the other day off a website in the US, took about a week to rock up though, still cheap.

I got a Seagate Freeagent 500Gb USB for $133 at Hardly Normal....works well...

Back