Exploding Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to admit I am bloody tempted to go back to them, but @ $2.80 a batch compared to $1.60 for about 5-6 batch's, being a tightarse it probably wont be anytime soon.

Out of curiousity I just primed a CPA with the sugar sachets (sugar sticks) 3gm each

One per stubbie, two per long neck. Very easy

Was sick of the sugar scoop getting wet

They are free from all good coffee shops & workplace cribrooms

Cheers

Top stuff Beerpig!

Being the expensive commodity that it is (sugar) at about $1 a kilo.

Don't tell the mega breweries... You'll have them doing it next. :lol:

Warren -

Alot of this I think has to do with brewing method. If you are consistently obtaining correct FG and not bottling too early It shouldn't be a problem.

Good sanitation
Racking to secondary,
Bulk priming at the correct amount.

If these are done the only reason that bottles would explode would be infection, over carbonation, or a dodgey bottle.

I wouldn't use carb drops, I did once! and I got big gassey soft drink bubbles.

Bulk priming takes alot of the guess work out and gives consistent results with the option of adjusting for beer style.

The last thing I would want to do with a beer I have lovingly brooded over is just chuck a tea spoon of sugar in no matter what, or use a carb drop.
Carbonation affects taste, aroma and mouthfeel, after all that effort I dont want to stuff it up there :(

Just an opimion :)

Cheers

BB

I like eating those Coopers carbonation drops.

johnno

"Down in the food chain of hops"

warrenlw63 said:
They're like very bland Humbugs Johnno. :lol:

Warren -
[post="112009"][/post]​

Got to agree Warren.

A mouthfull of smashed glass is quite bland tasting.

:lol:

johnno

My limited experience has been that some kits are a bit more prone to bombs than others. I'ver had three bombs in total and all were with the ESB bavarian lager lit, for some reason they have had WAY more carbonation to them than any other kit I've brewed. The second batch of this stuff I did I had two bottles go ballistic on me, luckily I'd bottled into screwtop stubbies so was able to gas of the entire batch a little, they were bottled in october and have since survived the heat of summer without mishap, and have been drinking fine. I suspect that fermentation was incomplete when I bottled these, they tend to have rather excessive sediment in them, obviously the 11 days I gave then wasn't enough. What scared me more was when a bottle of an earlier batch that seemed to be fine went a mont hor so later after I had moved them, I can only suspect that moving the bottles got the sediment stirred up and got the yeast working again and send one of them off.

Latest posts

Back