Exploding Bottle Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim373

Reaction score
Hi

So far for my kit brews I have been reusing 660ml normal commercial beer bottles (Krombacher) cause I like the size.
I've also read a bit about 'bottle bombs' and cant help but be a little paranoid.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this.

Is the danger from 'bottle bombs' in the first 2-3 weeks after bottling or on going?

Would hate to be giving out exploding bottles.

Thanks for your help.

The danger of bottle bombs is from the bottling process not so much time in the bottle.
If your brew is completely finished, then primed at an appropriate level then bottle bombs are extremely unlikely.
If you rush to bottle(as newbies can), or use excessive amounts of priming sugar then you can have a problem.
Keeping the bottles cool when stored helps keep the yeast sleepy and less likely to cause excess pressure , storing in heat can cause the yeast to slowly keep fermenting and in the end go boom.

Most important is be sure your brew is finished, 3 days constant hydro measurements in the expected range then leave another 5 days or longer( cold crash if possible) before bottling.
Use a calculator for priming amounts and you should be good. Make sure bottles are clean, sanitised and undamaged.

Be aware that the occassional bottle may fail for reasons other than your bottling methods....I have had 3 or 4 bottles randomly let go for no apparent reason...as such botles are always kept in cartons, cupboard or beer fridge, never anywhere that a blast could cause injuries.

I've been bottling for years, without problems.

The key things are to ensure your beer is fully fermented out. Do a check with your hydrometer or refractometer that the Final Gravity is within the expected range for your brew, and has been stable over 3 or so days.
Use some brewing software to help you calculate these values. Most brewing software will also include a carbonation tool or calculator to help you choose the level of priming needed for the style of beer you've brewed.
BrewMate is a good piece of free software, do yourself a favour and download. Although it's free, a donation wouldn't go amiss. Or fork out a few dollars and buy a program such as BeerSmith2, it's the one I use.

Just adding - never had a bottle bomb (and I've been at it for years). Concurring with the above too.

Wait until its fermented out. That's a big'un. Worth waiting the extra time.

A slow carbonation is better. Again worth waiting the extra time.

Bulk priming (especially if you're doing the 660ml bottle thing or multiple sized bottles) is excellent - again make sure the sugar is evenly distributed (I completely dissolve my sugar in hot water and pour in at the same time as racking to a bottling fermenter).

And I store any new batch in a box (preferably styro, but a lidded cardboard box will do) - I've never had one, but should I have made a mistake, I wish to preserve safety and the other beer already in my conditioning cupboard (aka where the hot water system is in Tas).

Latest posts

Back